Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #826 of 19,145

I have a 3700 and it sounds nice and looks great.  It's very transparent in tonal signature, reminds me of Audio-gd stuff or even the Kicas.  Might be a tad bright/forward sounding with certain speakers.

Quote:
Nice score Scottie!  How's the 3600 sound?  I've thought about getting a 3700 I have seen locally on CL - I like the Floroscan :)

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #827 of 19,145
I believe that was the beginning of the microprocessor amps. I have limited myself to the 70'v vintage receivers because they are analog. Not sure if those would be better than modern era receivers because of the advances in digital over the years.  I may be wrong but the receiver wars ended early 80;'s and the approach to receivers were different. The 80's marked the beginning of the integrated amplifiers and a new area of battles began but the receiver era was over.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #828 of 19,145
Thanks Mythless.  It's not something I should get, having 4 big receivers as it is.  I want to get rid of the Sony STR-7800SD - it's nice, but it's not at the level of the others.  That said, I should not immediately go and replace it :wink:

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #829 of 19,145

Quote:
Thanks Mythless.  It's not something I should get, having 4 big receivers as it is.  I want to get rid of the Sony STR-7800SD - it's nice, but it's not at the level of the others.  That said, I should not immediately go and replace it :wink:

Haha, multiple listening spots.  Sony's are pretty well known I am sure you won't have any problems moving that unit.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #830 of 19,145

Quote:
I'm a lot younger than the average poster in this thread I assume, but thats of course because it seems like I've inherited some gear that I didn't think of previously...this stuff is currently sitting in the garage with no use on them so I think I'll play around with them pretty soon.  

what I have on my hands is:

An EQ? it seems like... ADC Sound Shaper SS-315X
An integrated receiver?   Sony Legato Linear STR-VX4
Unrelated but also a JVC TD-W11x Stereo Double Cassette Deck..

I've done a little googling on this but I guess I just want an opinion - are these worth playing around with my headphones with?  From what I understand they were used primarily for my dads speaker system...but headphones should be fine too right?  I currently don't have any high impedance headphones or anything but I'm interested to see how these might change the sound of my (admittedly very modest) headphone collection.  I'm guessing I need a source to feed them though so I'll probably have to find one since I'm guessing my iPod isn't going to cut it? ....I don't even have an amp right now so that makes me especially excited to possibly tinker with these garage goodies haha.

Sorry for my ignorance and any help is greatly appreciated!
also, I'm down to take pictures and post (uneducated) impressions if anybody is remotely interested 

I'd say it's worth playing with.  What do you have to lose?  According to what I can find on audiokarma, it's a decent mid level receiver.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #831 of 19,145
on very brief listening, the SX3600 fluroscan is as Mythless described - clean transparent but not thin & brittle like the modern amps. it does seem a tad brighter as compared to the usual suspects but i'd have to really sit down & do a more detailed comparo.

the JVC though does impress me more. it seems to have a very big & solid heft to the sound esp driving vintage speakers. on headphones, it drives the HD650 very well (as good if not better than anything in my repetoire) but not as refined & smooth with the HE5-LE where the Sui AU-517 is stil golden.

all in all, everything works every meter swings every bulb lights so im very pleased for the money paid.

@bunit, not sure about the Sony but ADC soundshapers had a very good rep. try it out & let us know.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #832 of 19,145
Something to keep in mind with respect to vintage gear (not gears!) is that the general consensus is that gear before 1980 is of much better quality & sounds better than post 1980 gear...

"What the heck happened in 1980?
The exact date varies from brand to brand, but the bottom fell out of the build quality. Manufacturers sacrificed quality for production speed and started aiming at the 'general' market instead of the 'audiophile' market. Analog tuners were replaced with digital tuners. Discrete output devices were often replaced with integrated circuits, many of which are no longer available today. Some pre-1980 models used output ICs, and some post 1980 models were still well built."

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #834 of 19,145
Sure looks nice! Can't believe how cheap you scored that. Nice one Frank!

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #835 of 19,145

Quote:
Sure looks nice! Can't believe how cheap you scored that. Nice one Frank!

Get this I found a guy who has two pairs of vintage speakers Bozac and Altec Horns with the radiator stuff that I may be able to score cheap. He the guy who sold the SX780 and has a 2270 at his brothers I may also be able to get under 100.00 if i work it.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #837 of 19,145

Quote:

Thats a nice G7000 there is a G9000 in Philly asking price 700.00 Too steep for me. I think I may only want one more receiver if I find a steal again it may be on the Marantz 2270 or 2275 . But if I found a G7,8 0r 9000 priced right I may bite. Hell was a day late on a Pioneer SX780 for under 100.00 could got it for 90.00 or less I sonoozed on hat one

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #838 of 19,145
Canuck57 that G7000 is a beauty! Very nice. Love the look of those G series Sansui's.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #839 of 19,145
I'm just now discovering vintage receivers, and I'm pretty impressed. The Marantz sounds fantastic. I also picked up a Sansui Solid State 200, but it needs some work (hopefully only a few transistors replaced).

There's some beautiful gear in this thread.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #840 of 19,145
Quote:
i see what your saying but it depends cause all receivers/amps use different value resistors. it can range from anywhere of 120ohms@3w to 680ohms@2w. i mean you can easily change the resistor value of the receiver/amp to send 6w into 32ohms but that much will kill your hearing and the drivers since it only take a 1 MW for headphones to reach it's SPL of 86-92db due to it depending on how sensitive the headphone are. speakers it only takes 1w@ given sensitivity@1m. so that's why wattage is not much a big factor when powering speakers. same can go for headphones. it's usually the circuit tapeolgy design and how well it handles the shift of current and voltages change due to impedance spikes and dips. usually most amps/receivers won't have issues with big voltages and impedance spikes(16-100ohms) but it's the impedance load of 4ohms and under that can be an amp killer. that's speakers tho. most if all amps won't have issues running out of current or voltage for headphones. i'm not disagreeing either on your findings. it's good to see you know your stuff and i'm not hating on headamps at all. i will admit as well that i do not know everything.

This is all true, and I set the calculator up to make the value of the inline resistance changeable on the fly, since I doubt this is a standard value across receivers/integrateds/etc. So for the Fisher coming my way (which, like moodyrn's, has a 330 ohm resistor in the headphone line), the headphone jack maxes out at 0.7 watts at 32 ohm (!), which by current standards seems inefficient for many popular inefficient and/or high-impedance cans. Take out those resistors and it can manage a probably overly-generous 8 watts into 32 ohm.

I've put the calculator on Google Docs and set it to allow anybody to edit in their own values.

This originated as a way to calculate headphone volume (in dB) in terms of amplifier output, transducer efficiency and transducer impedance, to satisfy my curiosity regarding that. So I extended it to also translate power output at arbitrary impedance values. You can enter the watt and impedance values for your receivers and headphone amps, efficiency and impedance values for your headphones and speakers, and it will accommodate to the best of its ability. I had to make some assumptions to construct this, and those assumptions might not be accurate. Corrections are welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back