Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 5, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #391 of 19,142
With regard to the Onkyo, I have an Onkyo a-9555 integrated and unusually it uses an op amp based separate amp for headphones. It appears this same HP amp is used in all high end Onkyo amps, so it's almost certainly the same as yours. The sound is indeed excellent; in fact I'm trying to get some subjective impressions on the HP performance of Onkyo amps in another thread. Regarding the circuit, it uses an NE5532 op amp with discrete output stage and appears to be based on the Earl Eaton HP amp, if you want to Google it (you'll probably understand it better than I do). A previous thread had one poster comparing the 9555 with his $750 GS head amp and being unable to hear much if any difference.

I'd be interested in hearing any further comments you might have on the nr5800 with headphones.

*The NR5800 has a list price here in Oz of $5,999!

Edit: I managed to locate the circuit diagram.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #392 of 19,142
New to me Sansui 7000, mint condition.  Sold only to military out of PXs (I think).  Similar to the Sansui Eight that was sold to the public.  Headphone out sounds good.  This receiver came in the original box with the owners manual, service manual and laminated illustration of how to connect it up to speakers, sources, etc.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #393 of 19,142
Very nice! Looks like it's in great shape. Amazing how clean some of these vintage receivers are.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #395 of 19,142
I used to have a vintage Marantz.  Headphone out was a little grainy.  I currently have the Setton RS220, much smoother.  Almost tube like.  It has a thick and full midrange. 
I preferred it to many of my past dedicated desktop headphone amplifiers.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #397 of 19,142

Quote:
I used to have a vintage Marantz.  Headphone out was a little grainy.  I currently have the Setton RS220, much smoother.  Almost tube like.  It has a thick and full midrange. 
I preferred it to many of my past dedicated desktop headphone amplifiers.

There is no grain at all from the headphone out of my Marantz 2275.  I was surprised how clean it was - very surprised.  But with vintage stuff I am sure it varies a lot not just from model to model, but even sample to sample. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #398 of 19,142
might be because it's a digital amp?  i think they explode or something if you try to attach headphones in a conventional manner 'cos of separate grounds :frowning2:  nice of them to provide the socket though rather than blather on about 'simplifying' their amp.

Quote:
With regard to the Onkyo, I have an Onkyo a-9555 integrated and unusually it uses an op amp based separate amp for headphones. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #400 of 19,142
Look what the postmen brought... in their original boxes nonetheless.

And with the original styrofoam!

The amp

the tuner and amp together.

They work, but they need cleaning and some revision. Sound good though! Very powerful and smooth.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #401 of 19,142
Most excellent, REB!

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #402 of 19,142

Quote:
might be because it's a digital amp?  i think they explode or something if you try to attach headphones in a conventional manner 'cos of separate grounds :frowning2:  nice of them to provide the socket though rather than blather on about 'simplifying' their amp.

Well, I think it's actually because it's Class D--same as T amp in that you can't common the grounds. It IS digital, however, which is very handy in terms of fine adjustment of the remote volume control. The sound is so clean and smooth you have to think that any amp that departed from it, even in terms of providing more detail, was somehow adding something that wasn't supposed to be there.   

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #403 of 19,142

that sansui looks very lovely. yea sansui was popular brand among the military. during the 70's and 80's that's all military own oversees cause the soldiers got a killer discount for hi-fi sansui equipment. most popular among them i believe is what i own is the sansui 5000 series(was 3 model.5000,5000A,5000X). 
Quote:
New to me Sansui 7000, mint condition.  Sold only to military out of PXs (I think).  Similar to the Sansui Eight that was sold to the public.  Headphone out sounds good.  This receiver came in the original box with the owners manual, service manual and laminated illustration of how to connect it up to speakers, sources, etc.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #404 of 19,142
i've not yet used a class D/T amp :frowning2:

Quote:

Well, I think it's actually because it's Class D--same as T amp in that you can't common the grounds. It IS digital, however, which is very handy in terms of fine adjustment of the remote volume control. The sound is so clean and smooth you have to think that any amp that departed from it, even in terms of providing more detail, was somehow adding something that wasn't supposed to be there.   

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #405 of 19,142
Just gave my Kenwood ka7002 a thorough cleaning and many of the problems I heard (hiss, crackling, disappearing channels) have disappeared. Been listening to Black Moses by Isaac Hayes. It's the perfect vintage sound for a perfectly recorded 70s album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back