Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #361 of 19,142

your gonna be very happy. i love vintage kenwood. also make sure to buy some books on radio electronics or electronics in general just in case. another thing about these old receivers/amps is you learn a lot about electronics and DIY skills. not saying you'll have problems with it. not at all. these things are built to last forever if taken cared of well. even after 30+ years these old amps are still out-performing modern gear and running strong. just it's great to study up on it just in case cause it can be lot cheaper doing things on your own than paying a tech to do the same job. 
Quote:
Got the kenwood set... here's a pic (sound of crying wallet in the background):

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #362 of 19,142
nice snag REBman! gotta love the flashy silver with woodie treatment. hope it didnt cost u an arm & leg over thar them dutch hills. LOL. be sure to let us know how it sounds ya.

i too have a handle on a coupla baby amps & am in deep thoughts considering picking em up or not. one's baby Pioneer XS-450 receiver & the other's a Kennie too, Kenwood KA-3700 integrated. both are little 20watters but more than enuff for me to utilize as 'headamps. this sure is a fun hobby :)

O & theres a Pioneer SX-1050 waiting for an owner too but it is a little pricey. if only i can find the honeyed words to convince the missus.......

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #363 of 19,142
Anybody have any love for the SET amps?? Single End Triode?  Put out 15w. max using big 300 tubes (THink Cary 300 SEI) yet clean and efficient enough to power Klipsch horn-loaded speakers.

I know Cary makes them as did McIntosh I believe.  Wonderful, full-range tube sound altho upper end of the price ranges

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #364 of 19,142

Quote:
last night I just missed a mint AU 717. looking at the pics, you are right - built quality i4 ama7ing on that!

too bad u missed it. im sure u'll absolutely love it as ilubma517. if im not incorrect, i do believe the AU-517/717 duo are the only amps made by Sansui with dual trafos with nothing shared cept input power source. the 819/919 are also a similar dual mono design but they sports a single larger trafo instead. u better get one soon before the price explodes skyhigh on them. i too made a bid on a 717 amp/tuner combo lastweek but was declined whereas the same offered price woulda been swooped up lastyear. surprizing indeed.

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #366 of 19,142

Quote:
Anybody have any love for the SET amps?? Single End Triode?  Put out 15w. max using big 300 tubes (THink Cary 300 SEI) yet clean and efficient enough to power Klipsch horn-loaded speakers.

I know Cary makes them as did McIntosh I believe.  Wonderful, full-range tube sound altho upper end of the price ranges

lov em - cant get em for a reasonable sane price in acceptable condition esp vintage. Mac stuff is crazy money & im not sure if Cary amps started in the 60s & 70s. the 60s Marantzs & Sansui tubes fetch large & i mean LARGE coin now & thats if they even come up forsale. even the Fishers, Dynacos, Eicos etc..etc.. arent going for pocket change no more.

but yaaa the old vintage tubies represent the classic tube siggy with sweet liquid lush mids & woolly bottoms & rounded highs. klipschs were designed for those kinda amps. which talking about Klipschs, theres a LaScalla II & a drop dead La Belle for sale in my neigborhood. wish i can afford them & more specifically, have a cathedral hall sized living room to let them sing.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #369 of 19,142

Quote:
well, the Outlaw RR2150 looks like a "vintage" integrated/receiver...

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

looks like duck walks like a .... stylish art deco kinda duck but me thinks it dont quack like a duck. LOL. seriously though price is more than fair for 100w @8ohm output but im guessing this the "new age " wattage instead of the old school wattage which brings it to a more honest 60w. which btw is still very decent for only $599. now someone go buy one & tell us how it sounds 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #371 of 19,142
Glad to see a thread with a focus on vintage gear. My audiophile interests began with headphone related products but gravitated to vintage equipment over the last several years. I have owned various receivers, pre/amps, integrateds, tuners,reel to reels, speakers, and turntables from Accuphase, ADS, Ampex, Concept, Kenwood, Marantz, McIntosh, and Sansui. I love the warm, punchy sound of vintage gear along with the heft. Now with kids in the house most of my collection has been either sold or packed away in storage. McIntosh is my all-time favorite and nearest to my heart, but of course pricey even for early models. I think the Marantz 22xx series receivers provide the best bang for the buck in terms of sound, build quality, and aesthetics for those looking to pick some reasonably priced vintage gear. The late 70s era Sansuis like those mentioned above are also very solid pieces (literally), but I always found the headphone jacks to be a little noisy and the amps overall do not possess the rich warmth of Mac or Marantz gear.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #373 of 19,142
there's no Marantz specific LEDs cos there wasnt any back then. so as far as LEDs go, get the rite size & color that u need - any electronics parts store will carry it. then u step it down to the correct voltage (prolly 8v or perhaps even 12v but more likely 8v from my experience) with a series resistor. 200ohm for 8v if i remember correctly but the store should have a chart. then u solder everything together & voila u got lights. LEDs should last a lifetime.

alternatively take the burnt bulb & get the closest match in size & voltage. again they should sell generic bulbs at any elec parts store. u can always go with higher voltage bulbs & it'll just be dimmer. i personally like it dim with the added bonus of the bulb lasting a very long time.

where i am, LED bulbs are about $1 each & a 200ohm (or whatever) resistor is $0.15-0.25 each & an filament bulb is also about $1 too. hard parts excess to the darn things. goodluck

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #374 of 19,142
I've had one for about four years or so. It doesn't sound anything like what this thread mostly features, obviously. But it powers my Magnepan MMGs competently, and has a dedicated sub out (Outlaw knows from subwoofing) and that helps the MMGs with movies. Stereophile did a nice review of this a while ago.

Quote:
looks like duck walks like a .... stylish art deco kinda duck but me thinks it dont quack like a duck. LOL. seriously though price is more than fair for 100w @8ohm output but im guessing this the "new age " wattage instead of the old school wattage which brings it to a more honest 60w. which btw is still very decent for only $599. now someone go buy one & tell us how it sounds 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #375 of 19,142
my Senn HD650 came in today but other than a sneakpeek, i didnt get to listen to it till now. tried with the 'Sui 517, Pioneer SA-7500 & Technics SA-400. based on listening to all these amps before with my other cans, my intuition tells me that the Technics sound siggy will pair well with the Senns & boy was i right. the Technics HD650 combo's sounding seriously good & these Senns arent any where dark or even just warm but very nicely balanced. this is with stock cable ofcos.

its just missing that slight clarity & resolution compared with the HE5-LE 'Sui517 combo but its a close second. very nice for a $25 amp. heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back