Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 26, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #18,991 of 19,142
Deoxit is a mix of contact cleaner and protective coating. For a lot of cleaning (like in this case, sockets) I tend to use straight contact cleaner (much cheaper) or iso alcohol, while the protective coating from deoxit is more recommended for potentiometers because of the friction of moving parts and other materials inside like carbon. Cleaning will strip out both gunk and the factory oils so its recommended to replenish where its designed to be.

If you're cleaning with alcohol I dont think you'd need to wait that long, it dries up in seconds if not wiped down

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #18,992 of 19,142
... Deoxit can leave some gunk in there that is hard to remove, so proceed with caution. ...

Yep - that stuff is both boon and bane - good and bad if used improperly. I never spray it directly if at all possible. I apply a little to a swab or pipe cleaner or something similar, and wipe the component carefully. I know a lot of ham radio ops who swear by flooding pots and other components with it. Similar to WD-40, sometimes it builds up a gunky lacquer that eventually gums up the works. A very little goes a long way. Sometimes I polish contacts with a burnishing tool instead. Your mileage may vary.

I am pleased my suggestion about input levels was helpful ... maybe you could call my wife and tell her I was actually RIGHT for once ... although she may not believe it still ... :)

Good luck with the project - sometimes a problem has several causes ... yous are wise to be exploring all options. TTmaven

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #18,996 of 19,142
Indeed. I’d be interested to see a [Geezer 🤣] / vintage amp/ receiver showdown between the AU20000 and the SX1980.
You know, it is interesting as I have heard that as impressive as the 1980 is to look at, that the sound is just ok. Have not heard one myself but have read this many times.

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #18,997 of 19,142
You know, it is interesting as I have heard that as impressive as the 1980 is to look at, that the sound is just ok. Have not heard one myself but have read this many times.
Same for the Kenwood Eleven GX. A simply gorgeous looking receiver, but the sound is only mediocre unfortunately

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #18,999 of 19,142
I’ve also read in separate reviews that the best Pioneer in the SX series is actually the 1250. I’ll have to search again & try to find the article in particular that specifies the technical reasons they pointed out to validate that opinion.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #19,000 of 19,142
I’ve also read in separate reviews that the best Pioneer in the SX series is actually the 1250. I’ll have to search again & try to find the article in particular that specifies the technical reasons they pointed out to validate that opinion.
You would be correct. I have one and it sings!

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #19,001 of 19,142

Skylabs Audio - Our Top 5 Favorite Sansui AU Integrated Amplifiers

I've got an AU-717 that I use as the amp in a TV system that I use a Yamaha RX=670 for the preamp that is amazing for Blu-Ray's of concert videos..........watched/listened to Rush's Snake and Arrows Blu-Ray recently and was blown away. It feeds a nice pair of Polk Audio 5JR "bookshelf" speakers (far from the typical tiny bookshelfs) and a a Polk Audio PSW10 10" sub fed from the B speakers. Very happy and it thumps..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back