Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #18,271 of 19,143
Today I collected the Axis Voicebox S at the Post Office and rushed home to have a listen. Ever since I got the Sansui AU-717, I often wondered how the Voicebox will sound driven by the Sansui. I had the Voicebox last year, bought new but sold it much to my regret afterwards. This is all part of my audio journey.

So when the chance came to get the Voicebox again, I jump at it. It's a super monitor, that is revealing as it is natural with voice plus a taut tight bass and a soundstage that belies it's small solid box construction. It's a deep gloss piano black.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/axis/1.html

Connect the Voicebox to the AU-717 and the first song left me speechless. Forget about Focal Utopia headphone, this is much better and in near field listening, it's stunning. My love for the warm and analogue sounding 717 grew ten fold. With the neutral Yggdrasil as source and the pin point accurate Voicebox, this is a great synergy and musical.

Had to put micro-fibre cloth underneath the speakers to protect the deep gloss paint work. :)

IMG-2760.JPG

Apr 26, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #18,272 of 19,143
Any doubt about the AU-717 ability to drive the 100w capable, 5 ohms and 83db inefficient speakers disappeared completely after the first song. The 717 was driving the power hungry small Voicebox monitor like a sumo wrestler. :)

It is driving it as well as my Redgum RGi120ENR black series integrated amp.

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #18,273 of 19,143
Any doubt about the AU-717 ability to drive the 100w capable, 5 ohms and 83db inefficient speakers disappeared completely after the first song. The 717 was driving the power hungry small Voicebox monitor like a sumo wrestler. :)

It is driving it as well as my Redgum RGi120ENR black series integrated amp.

Now just throw a sub under that desk fed from the B speaker connectors and you'll be in audio heaven.................

May 1, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #18,277 of 19,143
More vintage goodness arrived earlier today, for headphones in its current location under my work desk . Recapped and serviced and sounding good but good is not the word needed here, sublime would be more fitting or some expletive in front of good. Listening to Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Live At KEXP! and the amp has the bass under control with detail but what I noticed most is how well it deals with the crashy? cymbals on a couple of tracks that other amps have rendered a little messy.

R0001535.JPG

May 1, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #18,278 of 19,143
Sublime is the normal walk and dance for any Sansui it seems, for mine too...:L3000: Welcome to this select club of gentlemen...

May 1, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #18,280 of 19,143
But this club rightly include also all Vintage Owner 's amplifiers or receivers that are stars of their own sky...:beerchug: A great brotherhood indeed!

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #18,281 of 19,143
So, the Sansui AU Alpha 907MR was suffering from cracked side panels, as is often the case with late model Alphas that have copped a few bumps.

The side panels are a type of MDF which are very smooth and have been finished with some kind of vacuum-formed plastic covering (as opposed to vinyl). It is probably around 0.5-1mm thick and has the inner wood-look finish with a hard, brittle clear layer over the top.

Below are the damaged original coverings which have been carefully removed:

The smooth MDF finish beneath:

I decided to use a 3M Di-Noc Bubinga gloss vinyl to refinish the side panels, just as smurfer77 used on his 907 Limited (albet in birdseye maple finish). The Di-Noc vinyl is very pliable once heated, and can be stretched to confirm with curves and corners. It takes some practice and patience. I recommend buying slightly more than you need, cutting off a test piece, and mastering the process.

One panel complete:

Both panels done - all trimmed up, holes cut for the plastic lugs to be inserted, and screwed into place. Very very happy with the result - the colour is similar, but with much more grain and visual interest.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how good this 3M product is! In terms of the appearance and grain, it is slightly better than the factory finish on the 907XR that is here, which is a birdseye maple type finish. They have done such a brilliant job in achieving variation to the finish and giving the impression of depth.

May 4, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #18,283 of 19,143
Petemac 110, Congratulations! «A thing of beauty is a joy forever».

P.s. I look at it many times, and it is one of the most beautiful amplifier I ever seen...I wish I had one !

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #18,284 of 19,143
20190504_175401.jpg

Picked up an Audiolab 8000C preamp today. I wanted one for quite a while primarily for its Phono stage and switching between sources. The headphone amp inside is very nice too (class A). Will add an 8000P power amp at a later date for loudspeaker duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back