Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 7, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #18,152 of 19,136
Im quite curious to see what you think once you get your GOTL back.

You know I love my GOTL. I gave it the best photo. :yum:
20171231_185004.jpg

But now I have the AU-717 back in the hot seat and it is BETTER than the Sony STR 7035. Goosebumps better. It's visceral and hauntingly beautiful.
DSC_0029.JPG

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #18,153 of 19,136
I agree completely. Vintage receivers simply cannot be beaten for a myriad of reasons. However....
None of my receivers can compete with my GOTL. Its not that the receivers sound bad. They dont. The GOTL just simply sounds much better. But then again im talking about a 1500.00 amp with over 500.00(and soon that figure will double) of tubes vs. $75.00 for my 881.

Im quite curious to see what you think once you get your GOTL back.

Have you tried tube preamp into vintage amp/receiver? I am wondering if that would be the best of both worlds...

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #18,154 of 19,136
Have you tried tube preamp into vintage amp/receiver? I am wondering if that would be the best of both worlds...

A lot of the good vintage amps / receiver have very good pre-amp section and they are perfectly matched. Don't need the help of tube preamp.

Read through the thread. A lot of veteran audio hobbyist have very good modern day gear but they get real satisfaction from their vintage gear.

Equally important is the source and speakers or headphones. I've got the Rega Rp8 on deck now and there's a huge improvement in dynamics and resolution, as well as musicality.

IMG-2638.JPG

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #18,155 of 19,136

I actually have pre-outs on my Glenn,and as was mentioned above,I dont think my receivers benefit much from it. I mainly got the pre-outs in case I ever decided to sell my GOTL(dont ever see that happening,sorry)as an added perk.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #18,157 of 19,136
Earlier Sansui(s) have a tube like warm sound. No need for more tubiness. For a neutral SS power amp then yeah, add in a tube preamp or even a tube dac could tailor it to the sound you prefer.

Meanwhile this is one of the best rendition of DSOTM I've heard. With LCD-3f. :)

IMG-2639.JPG

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #18,158 of 19,136
Earlier Sansui(s) have a tube like warm sound. No need for more tubiness. For a neutral SS power amp then yeah, add in a tube preamp or even a tube dac could tailor it to the sound you prefer.

Meanwhile this is one of the best rendition of DSOTM I've heard. With LCD-3f. :)

Looks like a sweet setup!

I was more thinking of the soundstage and 3-dimensionality that tubes bring, not the warmth.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #18,159 of 19,136
Looks like a sweet setup!

I was more thinking of the soundstage and 3-dimensionality that tubes bring, not the warmth.

Thank you. If you think these non-tube set up are lacking in soundstage and 3 dimensionality, then you're forgetting that these vintage amps / receivers were produced in the golden age of audio - that's the 70s. Before cost cutting and bottom line comes into the picture and quality suffers.

The Sansui AU-717 soundstage is as wide as the picture below. :) In the case of headphones, it's headphone dependent. Need a wide soundstage, get the hd800 which I have. Need more intimacy with full body tone, get the LCD-3f which I have also.

As for 3 dimensionality, the Sansui AU-717 excel in that as much as my modern day $4000 Redgum Rgi120ENR black series or the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated tube amp or the Schiit Ragnarok that I have for one year.

So you need to hear it for yourself.

This is the wide soundstage I'm talking about. It's wide enough for me. :)
IMG-2522.JPG

This is the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated amp that I had before. Uses eight KT88 or EL34 power tubes. The Sansui AU-717 does not loose out to the Primaluna in terms of soundstage and 3-dimensionality. Not at all.
20170930_172935.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #18,160 of 19,136
Thanks UntilThen, your experience and comparison are revelatory, and I guess dissipate some doubts among us....:L3000:

I have plenty of soundstage and details and warm sound with my 2 Sansui but I never had a top of the line tube amplifiers to compare with...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #18,161 of 19,136
Thanks UntilThen, your experience and comparison are revelatory, and I guess dissipate some doubts among us....:L3000:

I have plenty of soundstage and details and warm sound with my 2 Sansui but I never had a top of the line tube amplifiers to compare with...

Thanks Richard. Mine is but a small voice. There are many members here whose gear far far exceed mine. Particularly skylab. And you should see Pete's lineup of Sansui alphas. :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #18,162 of 19,136
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #18,163 of 19,136
The alpha is more " modern" sound, less tubey, but the 2 are so good,so different, that I cannot sell one...I can live happy with any one of the 2....But the 700 is more flexible and his sound is so gorgeous that I listen mostly to it for the moment....I prefer his slightly darker sound with my gear...

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #18,164 of 19,136
That's alright to have preference for both. I started off loving a warm, lush signature. Then I crave for more details, resolution and a more neutral tone. Now I am swinging back to the lush and romantic tone but I still like the details. It's no surprise that I have both hd800 and LCD-3f. Still have a modified hd650 which I hardly use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back