Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 19, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #16,696 of 19,145
The headphone output resistors on the 9090 are 220 ohms - about average.  I am somewhat surprised to see that the phono preamp is a single op-amp, and not a particularly good one.  Usually in top of the line stuff from back then the phono preamp was crafted from discrete components because records were the medium of choice.

Yeah, the phono stage isn't very good, that's why I use a Dynaco phono stage

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #16,697 of 19,145
The ART dj pre is a stellar phono stage for the price. Does better than most integrateds. Some have a hum issue though. If that happens to you exchange it for a diff one... They are kind of like kosses in that way...

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #16,698 of 19,145
Hi guys
I have a toshiba sr l55f turntable. I am completely new to that topic, and i do not know who or where to ask.

Also, the head is broken. Does that tb hold any value? Where i can find a replacement for the head? Can I choose from multiple heads?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #16,699 of 19,145

To my ears speaker taps sounds better than just plugging in my HD650 into the receiver  headphone jack one thing about speaker taps they are noisy without a resistors.

I was going to mention this in a separate thread, but I may as well bring it up here.  

While building a gainclone amp, I noticed that the sound from the headphone jack (amp output through a 330 ohm resistor) was dramatically inferior to that of the speaker outputs.  I'm thinking the high resistance of the headphone jack was the culprit.  I cobbled together a little divider network consisting of a 10 ohm resistor in series with a 1 ohm resistor.  The output to the headphones was taken across the 1 ohm resistor.  This provided the amp with an approximately 11 ohm load, and provided the headphones with a very low 1 ohm output resistance.  The larger resistor should be the best one you can find since the output actually goes through it, the smaller can be any type.  Both should be high power 5 watt minimally.

The sonic differences were apparent immediately as more open sound with much better high frequency response.  Give it a shot!

I actually have mine with 7.5R and 0.5R resistors both are 5W now it's dead quiet.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #16,703 of 19,145
  Hi guys
I have a toshiba sr l55f turntable. I am completely new to that topic, and i do not know who or where to ask.

Also, the head is broken. Does that tb hold any value? Where i can find a replacement for the head? Can I choose from multiple heads?

Thanks

vinylengine is a great place to go for anything TT related!

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #16,705 of 19,145
Very nice, Wingtip!

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #16,708 of 19,145
Ridiculous speaker setup: running a 255W amp into these, built-in cable and PCB ripped out, rewired with thick speaker wire?
wink_face.gif

much better than it has any right to be with a nice vintage receiver...
eek.gif
blink.gif

and tons louder!!!
L3000.gif

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #16,709 of 19,145
  Ridiculous speaker setup: running a 255W amp into these, built-in cable and PCB ripped out, rewired with thick speaker wire?
wink_face.gif

much better than it has any right to be with a nice vintage receiver...
eek.gif
blink.gif

and tons louder!!!
L3000.gif

haha that sounds like something I would do.....waiting for your next post that details how the speakers caught fire and exploded
basshead.gif

Seriously though,let us know how they sound im looking for a new pair of desktop speakers,the ones I have are kinda crap.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #16,710 of 19,145

haha that sounds like something I would do.....waiting for your next post that details how the speakers caught fire and exploded :basshead:

Seriously though,let us know how they sound im looking for a new pair of desktop speakers,the ones I have are kinda crap.

Apple G3 imac speakers are just okay. They are kind of like Avantone Mixcubes. Midrange is great but highs are a little sharp and bass is not really there.

The Z200 speakers do a surprisingly good job. they have one active and one passive driver in each speaker. I also bought them refurbished for $15. I ripped out the PCB on the speaker with the DC input and volume knob with brute force. However even though the iMac speakers are cute and look good, the Z200's are most certainly listenable and enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back