Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 9, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #16,321 of 19,143
Soap/water is a different thing but it also highly depends on what you're doing. So have common sense and you should know if soap+water is needed for the job or not.

Some computer motherboards or integrated amps could go through the dishwasher and come out working perfect.

Many many other things will not!

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #16,322 of 19,143
Soap/water is a different thing but it also highly depends on what you're doing. So have common sense and you should know if soap+water is needed for the job or not.

Some computer motherboards or integrated amps could go through the dishwasher and come out working perfect.

Many many other things will not!

Lots of people recommend alcohol and other pills, but soap and water go a long ways in taking care of a scratchy knob. You can only handle the irritation of it for so long before the Vaseline will make complete sense.

He's talking about scratchy gear here, I really don't see the need to double back on what I said so many times. It's practically common sense.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #16,323 of 19,143
Are you seriously suggesting putting Vaseline INSIDE the mechanism of the volume pot?

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #16,325 of 19,143
Benny I am not interested I dis-respecting you I am sure you are very sincere. I hope you find this polite but in disagreement.
There are other products made for this exact purpose and be less likely to cause problems in my view than soap and water.  Petroleum jelly again seems like a poor choice of lubricant when the current armamentarium cleaning products generally provide a residual lubricant.
I can tell you that few years ago highly conductive contact improvement salves and other 'safe' goo, what heavily pushed to the audiophile market.  The conductive elements were purportedly gold and silver making these ointments very expensive.  Many reported a host of problems after a first run of typical audiophilian (my word for the poetic language employed by audiophile).  Then these product's  problems became serious threats to very expensive components.Getting that stuff out of the various sockets and plugs became a monumental salvaging  project.
DeOxit and perhaps a few others I don't know of, has/have been used for a very long time with a record of utility and safety.  Np doubt that petroleum jelly has be around much, much longer.  I however, having been an audiophile (an embarrassment to admit) for over 40 years, have never heard of using it. 
Finally, cleaning anything with soap and water appears, at least superficially, as a tried and true measure. I however have never introduced water knowingly to my gear, it seems counterintuitive.

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #16,326 of 19,143
Hahaha, now unless this has been a carefully orchestrated reverse trolling against me, how about we all triple back before this gets out of hand and reflect that I turned this into a knob thread without anyone noticing... and I'm not talking pots :wink:

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #16,327 of 19,143
  I'd guess you are using monochromatic LED's that are really pure blue. Since the dots rely on reflecting and filtering some red light, they're just not getting what they need. Maybe if you replaced one or two of the blue LED's with white or red ones, your red dots would return.

i figured it was something along those lines, 
i've found some warm white lamps, i'll try to find some red too, and do some experimenting 
thanks !

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #16,328 of 19,143
Hahaha, now unless this has been a carefully orchestrated reverse trolling against me, how about we all triple back before this gets out of hand and reflect that I turned this into a knob thread without anyone noticing... and I'm not talking pots :wink:

i had a suspicion 
well played sir   

beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #16,329 of 19,143

I have waited patiently for a Sansui AU 7700 to appear in the right location and condition.
This weekend I picked up a Kijiji score, 30.9 pounds of audio goodness.
One owner, mint integrated amplifier from 1974, box and manual.
54 watts into 8 ohms, 2 aux inputs, two phono input - one with selectable pickup load.
All the classic features you could want, I will use it with an AURALiC Aries Mini music streamer.
Elated to find this amp!

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #16,330 of 19,143
I have waited patiently for a Sansui AU 7700 to appear in the right location and condition.
54 watts into 8 ohms, 2 aux inputs, two phono input - one with selectable pickup load.
All the classic features you could want, I will use it with an AURALiC Aries Mini music streamer.
Elated to find this amp!

A beauty, congrats!

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #16,331 of 19,143
Elated to find this amp!

I love the box! It's not often that an owner or series of owners cares enough about their gear to keep it with original packaging as it falls out of (and then back into) fashion.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #16,332 of 19,143
Very rare to get original packaging, with the actual retail store written on the side with the taped serial number intact.
The owner was born in 1953, purchasing the amplifier new when he was 21 years old in 1974 for the then princely sum of $500 Canadian.
It has been in his bedroom closet for 20 years, so I will send it to my vintage tech for a tune up.
His son powered it up and it makes real music, no problems!

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #16,333 of 19,143

Elated to find this amp!

Nice!

Jul 11, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #16,334 of 19,143
ave waited patiently for a Sansui AU 7700 to appear in the right location and condition.
Elated to find this amp!

Congratulations!

I have the exact same Sansui, all i can say is that is a marvellous, flexible, sounding amplifier/preamplifier....The better purchase for me in audio...
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

p.s. i will wait for your listening impressions...

Jul 11, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #16,335 of 19,143
I own an older variant of that amp the AU 717 and always thought it had more power than that. It may not, but it certainly drove anything I used with it, very easily.   My amp had no obvious cosmetic problems,  but yours is in exceptional condition and sparkles as new.  The older amp had fewer load options as well, if I recall correctly (it's in storage) .
I really wanted to ask is,  what is a Kijiji score.  I assume something good.  My vernacular equivalent might be a mitzeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back