Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 5, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #16,292 of 19,138
Both between getting a Kenwood G608 Mediakeg DAP in a trade (truly superb sounding) and this thread I'm far more interested in Kenwood than I was before.

Were they making good stuff throgh the 80s or is it really just 70s and etc gear from them that's worth looking out for?

Jul 5, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #16,293 of 19,138
nice looking integrated, bob.  glad you're enjoying it! 

your comments about the senn HD650 "having no veil" while being paired-up with this amp was interesting. 

I wonder how and to what degree most of the headphone reviews here on head-fi would change concerning these headphones (or, the AKG K701/702's) IF everyone were required to match these headphones up to a well-suited (for that particular headphone) 70's-era vintage amp, have an extended listen, and then report their impressions of the headphone! 

in my opinion, it's not a proper headphone amp if it doesn't have a "loudness" button to boost low frequencies a bit for low-volume listening, and if it doesn't have tone controls.     
k701smile.gif

(realizing how important portable rigs are these days, yes that comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek).  but, still...

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #16,295 of 19,138
Sounds like a candidate for some Deoxit.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #16,296 of 19,138
I have the same printer @AirForceTeacher but yeah deoxit will 90% fix it all up if you have no problems other than knob scatchiness.

I have a Technics receiver i've been putting that off on because I'm gonna rewire the whole dang thing and put a way better attenuator in there.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #16,298 of 19,138
Daily promo code at Frys ftw.
Thanks you guys - I'll have to give that a try!

At least 2/3 of the vintage audio gear i found that had "problems" or "scratchy sound" or "weird buzzing".... just needed the deoxit treatment.

spray and turn the pot back and forth gently. let the deoxit work in and do its job.

give it some time to dry up fire it back up.

i've been putting off repairing my dad's old NAD integrated he loves because I fixed the scratchy volume pot with deoxit - i'm going to go all out balls out on my Technics integrated, rewire the whole dang thing!

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #16,299 of 19,138
What's been lost in the DeOxit  discussion is the controversy of tone controls.  I like the loudness button and even the presence dial.  People say that the music  should not be altered its presented as it should be heard.  If you want to change something your system is not up to snuff.  So you end up buying different cables and components until the music sounds the way you wanted all along.  To me it is hypocrisy and you could save money by admitting you want tone controls.  The problem is that most modern gear doesn't have any.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #16,300 of 19,138
  What's been lost in the DeOxit  discussion is the controversy of tone controls.  I like the loudness button and even the presence dial.  People say that the music  should not be altered its presented as it should be heard.  If you want to change something your system is not up to snuff.  So you end up buying different cables and components until the music sounds the way you wanted all along.  To me it is hypocrisy and you could save money by admitting you want tone controls.  The problem is that most modern gear doesn't have any.

This is why it's most importantt to find out what was done why it was and if therere's a better way to do it.

more often than not you can make no hardware mods and reroute the signals and experence a quality increase.

I personally love loudness and tone controls - believe when I give my SU-v76 the full "Do-Over" it will include all new pots but I will skip as much unnecessary wiring as possible.

Very excited to turn it into a way better amp than it ever should be
biggrin.gif
I just love the sound of it so damn much and something magical happens in the headphone stage.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #16,301 of 19,138

and buying different cables and components e.g. aftermarket cables = snake oil IMHO (if someone who believes in cables making a difference, please don't jump all over my remarks; it's only my opinion and eventually a moderator will jump in & erase the posts anyways.)  

There's nothing wrong with an amp that has tone controls, a presence control/dial or even a loudness button.  Some audiophiles use EQs on their computers/laptops; isn't that pretty much the same as the sound options on vintage amps ?  What's important to me personally, bottom line, is to enjoy the music and the reproduction of the music as close to one's taste and desires as possible.  Point in case : I purchased the KA8300 because it has a "mono" option.  I have The BeaTles' mono CD box & when I put the amp in mono and adjust the tones, filter & presence dial accordingly, (w/ the AKG K702), I can hear & enjoy the albums the way they were meant to be heard IMHO because even though they're in mono the amp's options enable the details an tone to come out at their very best.  The damping factor of the amp also makes a big difference in the sound quality and clarity.  I believe members of this thread already know/are aware of what I've written.  Many of these vintage amps are better than most headphone amps for those reasons alone.  Again I'm not trying to start a debate, it's just my opinion and based on many posts, which, I've read over the last couple of years, on this thread, that opinion appears to be shared by most members of this thread.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #16,302 of 19,138
Well, in my case the scratchy knit is the volume, so tone control controversy takes a back seat.

Incidentally, related newbie question: with three volume controls - the application, Windows, and the analog amplifier, which should be set to what? From my older days, I always was told to set the source volume, especially a gain control, as high as possible without distortion or feedback and control volumes on the amplification side. Presumably the application volume control is pure digital, Windows (when controlling onboard lineout) is digital bridging to analog, then of course the old Yami is analog only. When I get a dac to replace the sound card output, what will be different in settings?

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #16,303 of 19,138

I didn't want to dismiss your scratchy volume potentiometer. I thought you got the best advice, which is to start by using DeOxit, with a video link no less.
 I think you can put your source at or near full gain. I am  not sure what to do about the Windows digital gain, but the general opinion I glean from Audiogon,is   that digital volume control is inferior to analog control . Obviously, you use your analog pot to  bring the music to a volume you enjoy .  The assumption of course,  is that your listening volume does not cause audible distortion.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #16,305 of 19,138
Thanks a bunch. I'll be looking for deoxit when I get home.

Don't over spray but give it some bursts while the amp is open and turn the knob back and forth all the way slowly at least a dozen times while slowly applying Deoxit.

If you let it dry and it still crackes the pot might need replacing or you have bad caps or soemthing else wrong in your stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back