Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #15,361 of 19,145

have you ever seen actual electronics with the foster electronics [maker of radio shack electronics] name on it? anyways, I wonder how the CV speakers sound compared to the nova 6's? mine have unexpected bass extension in-room to about 30 cycles [usable], at least with the pioneer receiver. I tried 'em with a radio shack 55 wpc receiver [the kind with the twin slider volume controls] and they only went down to about 50 cycles. I wonder why?

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #15,362 of 19,145
  I've been doing a fair amount of traveling recently for work, so I brought my 'portable' system with me on this trip. All packed, it takes up about 3 shoeboxes worth of space and weighs about 20lbs, but man is it worth it. I found my old portable CD player and got an inexpensive blue tooth dongle to bring it into this century a bit. It's a sony STR-6040. Great sound and prettymuch bulletproof. It's a nice low powered and low priced unit that you can probably find for about $40. The speakers are infinity primus II that I selected based on sound quality, cost, and size. They are fabulous above about 65Hz, but the deep bass isn't really a big presence with them.
All in, I think I'm just a shade over $150 on it and I enjoy it immensely.

As a fun aside, I spotted six glaring differences between an American copy and a Japanese copy of this album and I'm thinking that I'm going to be buying a lot more foreign copies of albums...

So. Many. Bonus tracks!

What a chic travel ensemble! 
thumbsup.gif

Some moons back, one of my fav things to do at record stores (Tower Records; Virgin MegaStore - Sunset Blvd, L.A.) was head to the Import section for Cds. I found...along with a higher 
rolleyes.gif
 price tag, bonus tracks or compilations not marketed for U.S. sales. Love the Japanese offerings.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #15,363 of 19,145
  What a chic travel ensemble! 
thumbsup.gif

Some moons back, one of my fav things to do at record stores (Tower Records; Virgin MegaStore - Sunset Blvd, L.A.) was head to the Import section for Cds. I found...along with a higher 
rolleyes.gif
 price tag, bonus tracks or compilations not marketed for U.S. sales. Love the Japanese offerings.

Well, I figured I'd take advantage of the extra bag and pack something to make me happy. The Japanese albums do seem to have really good quality control and extra content, though some odd choices occasionally. Not pictured - J reggae.

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #15,364 of 19,145
back in the BCD days [Before CD] Japanese vinyl [and to a lesser extent European vinyl] were by and large the only listenable product out there, the lions' share of American vinyls were comparatively distorted and sounded mediocre at best.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #15,365 of 19,145
this is my new bride :  sansui au 7700 ....Versatile, eclectic amplifier with a great sound...this amplifier drive my he 400 like nothing else ...

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #15,366 of 19,145
  this is my new bride :  sansui au 7700 ....Versatile, eclectic amplifier with a great sound...this amplifier drive my he 400 like nothing else ...

Awesome unit!  The vintage bug has certainly taken hold of you my friend!  

Have you tried the HE-400 out of speaker taps yet? 

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #15,367 of 19,145

Awesome unit!  The vintage bug has certainly taken hold of you my friend!  

Have you tried the HE-400 out of speaker taps yet? 

yes...... AWESOME... the hitachi sr 904 i have sold now  was too gross amplifier, big power but no refinement compared to the Sansui Au 7700 ... I use The Sansui  like pre amplifier only with my Monsoon MM200 speakers  and trust me the sound was better than  my Stax basic ...i use the Sansui with the he 400 from the speakers taps also  and the results are like you have already described when i read your posts some months ago... And like you ( i had read your posts about the Dharma) i want to buy the Dharma...I am interested by the Microzotl2 amplifier but the Sansui Au 7700 is so good that i think that i am a bit foolish right now about upgraditis...If you read about Sansui this model is one of their better amplifier, in the top five i think... The tone control section was subtle and all in finesse , the repairman said to me that this section was better designed than some Mc Intosh amp... I dont know about that but this amp crush all i have listen to...thank to you for your passion about vintage i have decided to buy vintage after reading your passionnate posts about your he 400 and you were right... For the Sansui au 7700 this model provide at a  small price ( 200 hundred bucks including the  catalytic replacement!)  audiophile sound and functionnalities that no headphone amp under 1000 dollars can deliver ...
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #15,369 of 19,145

I own one and the tuner (in storage)  .  Just curious why do you say eclectic?  My first serious audio system (1976)  included a Kenwood integrated.

by eclectic i mean that this amp can produce  for our ears a good sound from a diverse range of source (headphone variety) because of the versatility and finesse of his tuning control...Also the pre and the amp are separable hence eclectic also in this  sense...
atsmile.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #15,370 of 19,145
 I would like to suggest that anyone who has a receiver with a pre out and amp in mainly the larger receivers replacing that metal jumper plug with a good rca interconnect is a worthwhile tweak. I have done just that on my concept 16.5 and it is proving to be a rewarding tweak. I have replaced my metal jumper with a cable pro vitality interconnect(3 footer why so long? so I can use it as  a practical interconnect later) and the improvement is easily discernible  in every area audio wise. Not unlike what you get with separates when you change a cable for a better one.
  Better Treble ,bass .midrange , dynamics , soundstage and much better delineation. A definite home run changing the interconnect is like hitting the ball out of the park.

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #15,371 of 19,145
I am happy to see the the vintage options keep on piling up!!!  I have a question.  Does the 54watt Sansui have as good bass impact as your old Hitachi 904?   Believe it or not I was just about to bid on a 904 on ebay and happened to read this post about the Sansui.  I can probably get for around $200 if I look hard enough... 

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #15,374 of 19,145
Thats the last of the Espirit line from Sony.  I also have a TA-N86 and thats what got me started.  Was so impress with it that decided to nab it big brother.
I dont know if it can damage the amp by using the speaker tabs to run headphones but plenty of users does that.  I still havent got any problems yet besides 
headphones pull little stress compared to a speaker.  

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #15,375 of 19,145
  Thats the last of the Espirit line from Sony.  I also have a TA-N86 and thats what got me started.  Was so impress with it that decided to nab it big brother.
I dont know if it can damage the amp by using the speaker tabs to run headphones but plenty of users does that.  I still havent got any problems yet besides 
headphones pull little stress compared to a speaker.  

Can you give us the basic stats on this amp?  How many WPC into x ohms?  ?volt transformer and so on...
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back