Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 5, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #14,956 of 19,145
Seems like you would just remove the screws holding the white plastic meter assemblies in place.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #14,957 of 19,145
Seems like you would just remove the screws holding the white plastic meter assemblies in place.

I did that lol, problem is, you can only pull it out an inch or so and looking in there I'm no sure where the bulb would go. Damn, this is why I generally buy these things at least cleaned up with bulbs. I'm an electro-mechanical tech, so I know which end of a screw driver to hold lol, but this is ridiculous. I can't even get to the pots without removing all the boards. Maybe I should have listened to Skylab...

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #14,958 of 19,145
Bummer!

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #14,961 of 19,145
finally i choose the headphone out of my Hitachi sr-904....More headroom for the adjusment of the volume pot....And the headphone out is almost on par with the speakers out...
smile.gif
My Ember was a very good amp but cannot compete with the power of the Hitachi...The Ember has all  correct except this magnificent more realistic carnal sensual 3-d denser and detailed sound....
beerchug.gif
receiver power amp is the route to go  for planars...

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #14,962 of 19,145
The 9090 is worthy of a full restoration, for sure. That said, which meter has the lamp out? It's been a while since I had the 9090, but aren't the meter lamps fuse-style? Those are very easy to replace just use needle-nose pliers to pull out the old one and put in the new one.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #14,963 of 19,145
The 9090 is worthy of a full restoration, for sure. That said, which meter has the lamp out? It's been a while since I had the 9090, but aren't the meter lamps fuse-style? Those are very easy to replace just use needle-nose pliers to pull out the old one and put in the new one.

Its the power meters. I had it all apart and as far as I could tell the bulbs were internal. I gave up and asked around at AK for a local reputable tech. Found a guy around an hour away and spoke to him on the phone. He's going to do a full on restoration inside and out. Should be dropping it off within the next couple of days. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #14,965 of 19,145
I have a pair of DQ-20s hooked up to my Yamaha CR-1020. I also have an Infiniti Sub hooked up for the bottom end. Sounds great. The highs and mids on the DQ-20 are EXCELLENT. Hope to get a higher power amp as the Dahlquists LOVE power.

Take them apart and check your woofer surrounds. They're probably dry rotted. I sent them in to Regnar years ago to be re-foamed and when I got them back no need for a sub. Bass is excellent.
When I used to run them with a 150wpc dual monaural Mitsubishi amp back in the day I could shake stuff off the walls...

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #14,966 of 19,145
Take them apart and check your woofer surrounds. They're probably dry rotted. I sent them in to Regnar years ago to be re-foamed and when I got them back no need for a sub. Bass is excellent.

The problem is they are in a big basement and the space is too big for them. I'm not sure.if Regnar is still in business and while the surrounds are still ok I've plenty of experience dojng them myself. Rick Cobb has surrounds for them. They are the same as the Advent surrounds.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #14,967 of 19,145
The problem is they are in a big basement and the space is too big for them. I'm not sure.if Regnar is still in business and while the surrounds are still ok I've plenty of experience dojng them myself. Rick Cobb has surrounds for them. They are the same as the Advent surrounds.

That's funny, I'm getting rid of my Kenwood kr-7600, same wattage as the Yamaha, because there's too much bass. Maybe check out a 7600 or if you can find one a 9600 Kenwood. They have very nice highs and warm midrange, but the bass is just too much for me.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #14,968 of 19,145
That's funny, I'm getting rid of my Kenwood kr-7600, same wattage as the Yamaha, because there's too much bass. Maybe check out a 7600 or if you can find one a 9600 Kenwood. They have very nice highs and warm midrange, but the bass is just too much for me.

Receivers and speaker synergy is important. My Realistic STA-2000D sounded way too bassy with a pair of HPM-700 speakers (which sound FANTASTIC with my Sansui 771) but is really great matched with Realistic Mach 1 speakers in my garage. But Realistic (Radio Shack) paired and sold them together as a matched system.

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #14,969 of 19,145
Slightly random question here, guys... Does anyone have any experience of using a nice vintage amp to drive electrostatic headphones via an exciter like the Woo Wee?  I'm working on a major headphone upgrade and tempted by Stax 009 from PJ, but I wouldn't be able to afford a top end amp for a few years.  I'm wondering if the likes of the Woo Wee hooked up to my Luxman R1120 might do the Stax's justice enough in the meantime.  Any thoughts?  Cheers.

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #14,970 of 19,145

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Got my 500C today.  These are the pictures from eBay.  The amp is in impeccable shape and has been restored (copy & paste from eBay add) : This particular unit was a one owner piece completely serviced and ready for plug and play by Fisher Technician Greg Kruk, who has fantastic feedback from hundreds of vintage fisher customers.   

I had a 500C about 1.5 yr ago and it needed to be serviced so I brought it to a guy who had done a good job on my KA-8006.  Needless to say he didn't do as well with the Fisher and I was truly disappointed not to mention frustrated.  The amp after restoration had lost it's unique sound and depth, so I sold it for next to nothing.  Periodically over the past year I kept checking a few sites, one of them being eBay.  Lo & behold a couple of weeks ago I struck gold.  Not only did I find one but it's in perfect shape, has been restored by an experienced Fisher technician and it sounds great.  Also, the guy whom I dealt with is a super individual & has repeatedly told me not to hesitate in contacting him if anything (God forbid) happens or if I need assistance with the amp.  Oh, I didn't mention the price : $800 US + s&h +customs (I'm in Canada) but even so, the price was incredible considering the shape the amp is in both aesthetically and technically.  It sounds so smooth, deep & rich yet detailed & the main reason I wanted another Fisher 500C : it was & is again today after listening to it for the past few hours, the best amp with my HD650s.  They were made for each other.  The HD650 opens up to it's full potential with this amp, even better and I will add much better than my GS-X MK2.  I love the sound of the HD650 when it's driven to it's full potential, I can't describe it, it's almost surreal.  The 500C & the HD650 were made for each other in my estimation and taste.  It's like Ginger Rogers & Fred Astaire, they just go together.  I listened to a few tracks with the HD800 and they sound harsh after a while.  The HD600 is better but the HD650 is perfect.  If anyone is interested in reading which restorations were made to my 500C here's a link (from the eBay sales ad.) :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252063034068?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back