Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #14,971 of 19,142

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Got my 500C today.  These are the pictures from eBay.  The amp is in impeccable shape and has been restored (copy & paste from eBay add) : This particular unit was a one owner piece completely serviced and ready for plug and play by Fisher Technician Greg Kruk, who has fantastic feedback from hundreds of vintage fisher customers.   

I had a 500C about 1.5 yr ago and it needed to be serviced so I brought it to a guy who had done a good job on my KA-8006.  Needless to say he didn't do as well with the Fisher and I was truly disappointed not to mention frustrated.  The amp after restoration had lost it's unique sound and depth, so I sold it for next to nothing.  Periodically over the past year I kept checking a few sites, one of them being eBay.  Lo & behold a couple of weeks ago I struck gold.  Not only did I find one but it's in perfect shape, has been restored by an experienced Fisher technician and it sounds great.  Also, the guy whom I dealt with is a super individual & has repeatedly told me not to hesitate in contacting him if anything (God forbid) happens or if I need assistance with the amp.  Oh, I didn't mention the price : $800 US + s&h +customs (I'm in Canada) but even so, the price was incredible considering the shape the amp is in both aesthetically and technically.  It sounds so smooth, deep & rich yet detailed & the main reason I wanted another Fisher 500C : it was & is again today after listening to it for the past few hours, the best amp with my HD650s.  They were made for each other.  The HD650 opens up to it's full potential with this amp, even better and I will add much better than my GS-X MK2.  I love the sound of the HD650 when it's driven to it's full potential, I can't describe it, it's almost surreal.  The 500C & the HD650 were made for each other in my estimation and taste.  It's like Ginger Rogers & Fred Astaire, they just go together.  I listened to a few tracks with the HD800 and they sound harsh after a while.  The HD600 is better but the HD650 is perfect.  If anyone is interested in reading which restorations were made to my 500C here's a link (from the eBay sales ad.) :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252063034068?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

wow what a testimony..... incredible.... the comparison with the GS-X mk2 is convincing.... oufff
smile.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #14,973 of 19,142
Looks like I need a new tech to refurbish my 9090. Do you guys know of anyone reputable in the NJ area?

Sorry, really wish I could help you.  I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and the guy who restored my KA-8006 (successfully) & Fisher 500C (unsuccessfully) is in Ottawa where I used to live over 3 years ago. (I had the Fisher restored by him while visiting family in Ottawa last year.)  Hope you find one and hopefully a good technician at that. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #14,974 of 19,142
Sorry, really wish I could help you.  I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and the guy who restored my KA-8006 (successfully) & Fisher 500C (unsuccessfully) is in Ottawa where I used to live over 3 years ago. (I had the Fisher restored by him while visiting family in Ottawa last year.)  Hope you find one and hopefully a good technician at that. 

Yeah me too. Congrats on the fisher, that's a really nice receiver. I actually had one of those I pulled out of my grandparents console system when I was a kid. At the time I thought it sounded like crap and threw it out. I'm sure it just needed tubes and a cleaning, but who knew at like 16-17 years old. Still kicking myself for that one lol

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #14,975 of 19,142
@Old Groucho

Congratulations on scoring a wonderful 500c. Considering how hard it is to select a good headphone amp under $1500, getting a great unit restored vintage gear like the 500c, good for not only headphones but also speakers, remains a sensible choice.

I also very much enjoy my HD650. Properly driven (mine with a MAC 4100), they produce smooth sound without being muddy or too detailed. My recent experience is that a good DAC like Gungnir Multibit can also greatly lift the "veil" of the HD650, contributing to their improved performance.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #14,976 of 19,142
  @Old Groucho

Congratulations on scoring a wonderful 500c. Considering how hard it is to select a good headphone amp under $1500, getting a great unit restored vintage gear like the 500c, good for not only headphones but also speakers, remains a sensible choice.

I also very much enjoy my HD650. Properly driven (mine with a MAC 4100), they produce smooth sound without being muddy or too detailed. My recent experience is that a good DAC like Gungnir Multibit can also greatly lift the "veil" of the HD650, contributing to their improved performance.

Thanks TomNC.  I have a somewhat decent DAC, PS Audio NuWave & waiting for a used one I bought a few days ago; it's a  Bryston BDA-1 which I got for a very good price.  I know the BDA-1 is an older model & technology but I listen to CDs & not computer file music.  From what I've read the BDA-1 via coaxial s/pdif sound is excellent.  That's what I use with my CD/SACD player.  On the other hand the USB on the BDA-1 has received poor reviews but since I won't be using it I decided to go ahead & buy the DAC for my needs and what I can afford.  As of today, my wallet needs a major rest.  Last I checked, it contained nothing more than cobwebs. BTW I can guarantee you that there is no veil whatsoever w/the 500C/HD650 combination. 
deadhorse.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #14,977 of 19,142
Congrats, Old Groucho! Classic Fisher tube gear is just great, great stuff.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #14,978 of 19,142
Congrats, Old Groucho! Classic Fisher tube gear is just great, great stuff.

Thanks Skylab, I appreciate this.  The music sounds so freakin' great, it's truly an enjoyable experience.  I'm presently listening to the album Kamakiriad by Donald Fagen and there's nothing missing, it's so full, so detailed, lush and I just remembered the HD650 is also knocked for it's (supposedly) lack of sub bass.  Well, the sub bass ain't lacking to these ears right now, so here's another HD650 myth up the creek; 
deadhorse.gif
 and the bass is at mid point only on the amp.  You are absolutely right Skylab & to quote you :

"Classic Fisher tube gear is just great, great stuff." -Skylab, Sep. 9th, 2015, 10:45 Atlantic time 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #14,980 of 19,142
Looks like I need a new tech to refurbish my 9090. Do you guys know of anyone reputable in the NJ area?

Have you posted up on Audiokarma?  I know there are a few well known and trusted techs over there. 

Hope you find a good one! 

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #14,981 of 19,142
I did, and I had it set up, but the guy flaked on me. It was the weirdest thing. We talked on the phone for over an hour and I was gonna drive it over to his house on Sunday. That morning he said he couldn't do it that day and I haven't heard from him since. I've sent a few emails and even called and nothing. I've got a few I'm going to contact, but nobody that close to me unfortunately. Figured I'd try here too...

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #14,983 of 19,142
Wow that looks awesome WingTip!

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #14,985 of 19,142
Finally got my Rotel RX-1603 back from a complete restoration, but she's too big for my audio shelf! I parked her on the desk for now. She makes my LCD-3 sing.

That is a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Lovely..............what is the WPC on that monster? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back