Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 5, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #14,506 of 19,138
Looks like the volume controls were mislabeled and should have been labeled 1 and 2 for headphone 1 and 2. And yeah, Seamaster I think this is definitely treasure. You basically have a transportable headphone 'amp' that can be hooked up to various amp speaker taps. Not sure how the signal is routed before it reaches the headphone out though and how it is executed. Would definitely snag that for the 'right' price.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #14,507 of 19,138
I can't quite understand it.  Why are there L and R volume knobs and why are there 2  X 1/4inch headphone jacks.  Are they both stereo or are they mono? Is the L and R knobs there to help balance the stereo coming out of one of the jacks? If anyone knows,  do tell, it sure looks like a cool addition to any Silver series 70s amp.

I just got it and have not look into it. Both HPO are sterero. The early Sony amps did not have HPO, so Sony came up with this "fix".

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #14,508 of 19,138
  I can't quite understand it.  Why are there L and R volume knobs and why are there 2  X 1/4inch headphone jacks.  Are they both stereo or are they mono? Is the L and R knobs there to help balance the stereo coming out of one of the jacks? If anyone knows,  do tell, it sure looks like a cool addition to any Silver series 70s amp.

A lot of older equipment had separate left and right volume controls, or concentric knobs for channel volume. They are indeed intended to be used as a sort of balance control.

(Even many modern volume potentiometers don't track very well between the channels near the bottom of their range,
and this problem was much more prevalent in "the old days". By splitting the volume controls, they avoid those embarrassing situations where the stereo image sort of floats back and forth as you raise or lower the volume. Instead, it's up to you to keep the channels "in synch", and you also get the flexibility to deliberately adjust the balance... Which was also a more important feature back then when a lot of equipment wasn't as well matched in gain between channels as it usually is today anyway. )

From the way they're labelled, I would assume that both jacks are stereo, and that the volume controls affect both, but it's easy enough to find out
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #14,509 of 19,138
My first ever receiver, got it just a few days ago. Someone had cut the cord and was going to recycle it, I couldn't stand to see it just die without a test of life, so gave it a new cord to see if it still worked and it works wonderfully so I brought it home with me. Not as vintage as some of the nice stuff in here, but i think early 90s still qualifies. Beats the pants off my TV speakers just using some old cheapies I have had the the garage for 5 years and it has tons more power than I expected.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #14,510 of 19,138
Is a QRX-5500 anything special? One of them just popped up at my local record store, and they haven't yet put a price on it.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #14,511 of 19,138
Is a QRX-5500 anything special? One of them just popped up at my local record store, and they haven't yet put a price on it.

The Sansui quads are nice. I had a QR-6500 and the build quality was great and the flexibility of use was awesome. Basically, two receivers in one chassis in terms of flexibilty.

Not a ton of power, and cap coupled, so more mellow sounding, and BIG. But nice overall if you have the space and want/need the flexibilty of quad or playing two sources independently, consider it. The QRX (vs QR) also has better quad modes, but I never really used mine anyway.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #14,512 of 19,138
The Sansui quads are nice. I had a QR-6500 and the build quality was great and the flexibility of use was awesome. Basically, two receivers in one chassis in terms of flexibilty.

Not a ton of power, and cap coupled, so more mellow sounding, and BIG. But nice overall if you have the space and want/need the flexibilty of quad or playing two sources independently, consider it. The QRX (vs QR) also has better quad modes, but I never really used mine anyway.

I've thought about getting a quad for awhile, but I don't really have the skills to restore one myself and I don't know how well this particular example has been kept up. I guess I'll have to go in again and test it out, have them open it up for me, etc. If it's in good shape on the inside, I'll take the risk on an unrestored example.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #14,513 of 19,138
  My first ever receiver, got it just a few days ago. Someone had cut the cord and was going to recycle it, I couldn't stand to see it just die without a test of life, so gave it a new cord to see if it still worked and it works wonderfully so I brought it home with me. Not as vintage as some of the nice stuff in here, but i think early 90s still qualifies. Beats the pants off my TV speakers just using some old cheapies I have had the the garage for 5 years and it has tons more power than I expected.

We usually go for a bit older, but it's always good to get something for free and be happy with it!
Take a look around the thread and see what some of us are in to, who knows, you might get some inspiration.
smile.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #14,514 of 19,138
Ever wish you had a clock handy?  I don't wear a watch any longer since I got this dang Fitbit so I'm constantly hunting for my phone to check the time. 

Solution.........vintage Pioneer DT-550 digital audio timers!  Have one in my family room with the SX-1050 and now one with my Spec rack system.  Best part is paid $25 each.............and there are plenty available on eBay.  You can use them as timers as well but I haven't used them as that yet.  Silver faced goodness..........

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #14,515 of 19,138
I have a DT-550 - LOVE it :D Very cool and very cheap, yes!!!

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #14,517 of 19,138
IMHO the Pioneer would win hands down.   I had a 750 a felt it was more detailed and cleaner sounding than any of the Marantz units I have had.  Have not heard the HD650 on a SX750 or Marantz though.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #14,518 of 19,138
  Any thoughts on Marantz 2223B or Pioneer SX-750?  Both listed as professionally serviced, both ~ $300.  Would use with HD650

I would be tempted to buy either but I did own a Marantz Amp from that era and liked it a great deal.  The kicker is that both have been serviced.  Do you think you could get details about the servicing.  If they were both given any real restoration work I would be surprised but would be thrilled.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #14,519 of 19,138
  Any thoughts on Marantz 2223B or Pioneer SX-750?  Both listed as professionally serviced, both ~ $300.  Would use with HD650

I'd buy them both and see what goes in system 1 and put the other in the other room...............but that's just me (owner of 8 vintage systems - ALL in use). 

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #14,520 of 19,138
I'd go Pioneer if you want something more detailed; the Marantz would be somewhat too warm and its presentation is a little too vague for my liking. Granted, I haven't heard this exact model, but I've heard Marantz units of similar vintage all over their lineup. While I prefer Marantz for looks, it's hard to beat a Pioneer or Sansui of the era for sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back