Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 29, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #14,491 of 19,142
Wow, that Sherwood certainly has a beautiful layout inside. I'd love to fit a clear glass top to it and watch the tubes glow.

May 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #14,495 of 19,142
Just curious, what type of speaker terminals does evyerone use with their vintage amp? What are the best options?

To date, I kept all binding posts original on my vintage lovelies. I may elect to upgrade the posts on the Sansui in the future with higher quality metal and perhaps a 5-way scheme.

Will look at other's answers with interest.

May 31, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #14,496 of 19,142
Just curious, what type of speaker terminals does evyerone use with their vintage amp? What are the best options?

Quite frankly, this is the most PITA alike thing in vintage gear.

The terminals on my beloved Technics gear is - ahem - subpar (if we are polite about it ).

Rhey can be replaced - but you will look far and wide before you will find "something/anything" that can phisicaly fit
the space/volume available - and it will result in VERY tight placement and not exactly user friendly changing the speaker/headphone cables. The biggest problem is in making the isolation "washer/plate" that allows for safe operation both in mechanical and electrical sense. It has to fill any void between the original cut-out on the back plate and the new binding post's contact - in order to ascertain the above requirement.  

And that is strictly speaking - LOTS of work. Finding the plastic of EXACTLY the thickness required ( it has to match the thickness of the original back plate, only a bit thinner in order to allow tightly screwing the new binding post in the place ) and shaping this "washer/plate" in exact shape is no picnic.

But it IS worth the trouble. Although cramped and not user friendly, it would allow for a much better contact than on the original gear.

May 31, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #14,497 of 19,142

I like the 12awg bolt/banana type that are on some of the totl sony models. They're chrome plated bolts with a dual hole scheme to allow the speaker wire to be tightened on with a bolt or accept banana plugs. All the other terminals I've seen usually leave a bit to be desired :/

May 31, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #14,498 of 19,142
  Quite frankly, this is the most PITA alike thing in vintage gear.

The terminals on my beloved Technics gear is - ahem - subpar (if we are polite about it ).

Rhey can be replaced - but you will look far and wide before you will find "something/anything" that can phisicaly fit
the space/volume available - and it will result in VERY tight placement and not exactly user friendly changing the speaker/headphone cables. The biggest problem is in making the isolation "washer/plate" that allows for safe operation both in mechanical and electrical sense. It has to fill any void between the original cut-out on the back plate and the new binding post's contact - in order to ascertain the above requirement.  

And that is strictly speaking - LOTS of work. Finding the plastic of EXACTLY the thickness required ( it has to match the thickness of the original back plate, only a bit thinner in order to allow tightly screwing the new binding post in the place ) and shaping this "washer/plate" in exact shape is no picnic.

But it IS worth the trouble. Although cramped and not user friendly, it would allow for a much better contact than on the original gear.

That is exactly my problem here. Finding or even have the option to replace the speaker terminals is like you said PITA.

I like the 12awg bolt/banana type that are on some of the totl sony models. They're chrome plated bolts with a dual hole scheme to allow the speaker wire to be tightened on with a bolt or accept banana plugs. All the other terminals I've seen usually leave a bit to be desired :/

Can you post a picture? Thanks.

May 31, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #14,499 of 19,142
  To date, I kept all binding posts original on my vintage lovelies. I may elect to upgrade the posts on the Sansui in the future with higher quality metal and perhaps a 5-way scheme.

Will look at other's answers with interest.

I have a pair of Sony TA-N77ES. Their speaker terminals are soldered to a board, which is a pain to reconfigure because there is not enough room for modern terminals. 

May 31, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #14,500 of 19,142
  That is exactly my problem here. Finding or even have the option to replace the speaker terminals is like you said PITA.

Can you post a picture? Thanks.

It boils down to your local DIY electronics part shop - or internet. Chinese produce one hell of a lot of types of speaker terminals, by some clever kludging it usually is possible to somehow mate gerbil with a kangaroo ...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xspeaker+terminals.TRS0&_nkw=speaker+terminals&_sacat=0

May 31, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #14,502 of 19,142
I have a pair of Sony TA-N77ES. Their speaker terminals are soldered to a board, which is a pain to reconfigure because there is not enough room for modern terminals. 

A real humdinger! No doubt, I know you'll meet the challenge one way or another. Me? I'm actually considering getting 'Baby Sinister' (the Sansui G-22000) refurbished...forgot the terminology we use here in the thread for that, I'm very tired. But anyway, will simply have my guy (Terry) handle it while he's in there! 

FYI - My terminals are located on either side (L/R) of the box, as opposed to being together.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #14,503 of 19,142
What do you guys think of this headphone adapter made by Sony in the 70's that was designed for power amps around 100WPC?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio/11610#post_11663649

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #14,505 of 19,142
I can't quite understand it.  Why are there L and R volume knobs and why are there 2  X 1/4inch headphone jacks.  Are they both stereo or are they mono? Is the L and R knobs there to help balance the stereo coming out of one of the jacks? If anyone knows,  do tell, it sure looks like a cool addition to any Silver series 70s amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back