Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #14,071 of 19,143
Congrats!  Can't wait to see the pics of it..............

This is going to be a while, I've been told that apparently the A-27 is going to need a complete recap, despite sounding fine during my quick audition in the store when I bought it (means nothing, I know). :xf_eek:

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #14,072 of 19,143

Well my fellow Head-fiers I need your advice, if you don't mind.  I can buy a Kenwood KA-907, in good working condition, for $750.00 CDN.  I will offer $700.00 & see but I digress.
I've read a couple of recent posts about this amp on this thread, saying that it's an extremely difficult amp to service.  On the other hand I also read that it's so neutral that it's the closest amp to the 500C sound wise.  So, what to do ?  Is the price reasonable ?  Since it is a vintage amp it could require servicing in the near future & if it's difficult to service .... There's no perfect answer, I realize that but I'd still like to know what some of you think.  

Thank you. 
popcorn.gif

Well, I'm not familiar with that model, but here are the considerations I would think about:

If it's original/unrestored, it will require servicing at some point since the caps are >35yrs old.  If you can do the work yourself and it's a reasonably easy unit to access boards to do the work, that's not a big deal.  But if you say it's  an extremely difficult to service, you either better be good/experienced to undertake the servicing, or willing to pay a fair amount of dough to get it serviced.  If you're not going to service it yourself, be prepared to add another $300-400 to your purchase price.  Then the question becomes: is the unit worth $1000-1100 to you?

Now, you can use it as is until something actually does go wrong, but you just have to hope that when something does go wrong, it doesn't take expensive headphones or speakers with it.  And then you'll have to make that decision then whether to invest $ to fix it or sell it for parts/repair.  Likely, if you want to fix it, you'll have to invest more than the $300-400 you would have had to spend to restore it while it work working.  Because once something goes wrong, you have to find out what went wrong, fix the root cause and all other components that might have been taken out by the component that failed (such as output transistors or other transistors that wouldn't normally fail on their own), and then maybe recap the rest to avoid it all happening again.  If you're paying someone to do that, you'll be paying for the troubleshooting time as well.

This model appears to be a monster integrated with 150W.  Are you planning on running it with lower efficiency speakers or wanting to get to extremely high volumes?  If so, then maybe you need that power.  But if you're just planning on running it with headphones, it's pretty safe to say you don't need that kind of power and you can get by with a lower model and lower price.

Also, once you're getting into that kind of money ($700 untouched, or $1000-1100 restored), you're in the territory where you can actually get a 500C if that's what you're really looking for.  Tube units like the 500C ARE generally easier to service yourself. because it's point to point assembled and you can trace the connections visually (vs buried traces in PCBs that become harder to digest).  And on the tube units, there are fewer things to actually have to replace (some can caps, some coupling caps, maybe a selenium rectifier).

Plus, a 500C or similar would likely be easier to sell if you wanted to move on to another piece later.

So if it were me, I'd only consider it if I really needed the power, were capable of restoring the unit myself, and liked the sound of this particular model.  I've never spent more than about $250 for a solid state receiver for the above reasons, but have spent $300-400 on tube units because I have confidence I can get them where they need to be reliable and resell them relatively easily.

Just food for thought.  Good luck in your decision.

Thanks captouch, that's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.  Greatly appreciated.  I think I'll pas on the amp. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #14,073 of 19,143
Hi guys. My Deoxit order arrived so I opened up the Luxman SQ507X for a poke around and a good cleaning last night. The pots & sockets needed a bloomin' good clean, which explains why the sound was so scratchy. I played it safe and left it to dry overnight (my first time using Deoxit...I probably used a bit too much 
rolleyes.gif
 ).

I'm not prone to hyperbole when commenting on audio as it's so easy to fool oneself, but in this case I have to say I'm thrilled because this ~40 year old girl is giving me exactly what I was hoping for with my HE-560s. I find these headphones can be a bit harsh, but I love the detail and bass impact. I read that these early transistor Luxman's have a tube flavour, and I can now absolutely confirm that. Before cleaning the amp, I wasn't quite hearing the level of detail and clarity I get straight from the Geek Out, but I could tell is was injecting a nice (but not too heavy) warm flavour.  

Now it's cleaned, I'm A-B'ing with the GO and I'm hearing similar levels of detail, but the Luxman retains that lovely warm musicality that tames the harshness I was hearing with the HE-560s. Streaming Diana Krall's Wallflower via Tidal, her voice is rich & silky smooth...simply more realistic through the Luxman.  The Bill Evans Trio's Waltz For Debby is probably my favourite live jazz recording for giving you the "feels like I'm in that jazz club" vibe. It sounds close-your-eyes wonderful with this combo.  Happy days for pedalhead, and a big thanks to all of you guys on this thread who have shared your knowledge & enthusiasm for these old things. I otherwise wouldn't have thought to look at a vintage amp.   

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #14,075 of 19,143
  Now check the Bias and Change the Caps :) This will bring this Luxman to a new different level:) I think I saw someone doing the full recap on this. I will take a while and money but It's defo worth it.

Ha!  Clearly I have more to learn :).  Would cap replacement alter the flavour of the sound?  I'd hate to lose the character of the amp.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #14,077 of 19,143
If you have a DMM, checking the DC offset is a good idea. But unless you really feel confident, adjusting the bias isn't something to do unless the amp is running super hot. You can fry your outputs if you screw up the bias adjustment.

Also, if you LOVE the amp, recapping is a good idea, again if you are very confident in your soldering skills. But otherwise, unless one has a true TOTL unit that will hold value well, it's probably not worth spending the money to have someone else recap it.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #14,078 of 19,143
If you have a DMM, checking the DC offset is a good idea. But unless you really feel confident, adjusting the bias isn't something to do unless the amp is running super hot. You can fry your outputs if you screw up the bias adjustment.

Also, if you LOVE the amp, recapping is a good idea, again if you are very confident in your soldering skills. But otherwise, unless one has a true TOTL unit that will hold value well, it's probably not worth spending the money to have someone else recap it.

Thanks mate.  I'm keen to learn, but currently a bit of an electronics dummy. For now, I reckon I'll just enjoy the amp & see how it goes.  I also have another one coming next month, a totl Luxman R-1120.  That'll give me a chance to compare the two &  decide if I want to invest any more £££ into either of them. I have to say, this one sure is pretty to look at, which is almost worth the price alone 
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #14,079 of 19,143

Thanks mate.  I'm keen to learn, but currently a bit of an electronics dummy. For now, I reckon I'll just enjoy the amp & see how it goes.  I also have another one coming next month, a totl Luxman R-1120.  That'll give me a chance to compare the two &  decide if I want to invest any more £££ into either of them. I have to say, this one sure is pretty to look at, which is almost worth the price alone 
biggrin.gif

Yeah she sure looks a lot nicer than my humdrum looking concept 16.5 receiver. Looks are part of the pride of ownership among other things.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #14,080 of 19,143
I'm using an SAE A7 Integrated Amplifier and a SAE 8000 Tuner................and a bunch of other Schiit.
L3000.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #14,082 of 19,143
 Here is an interesting thought. I imagine the performance of parts over the last thirty some years have improved somewhat in their general capability . I am not technically inclined but I can imagine because performance parameters of parts has increased somewhat in the last thirty years things will improve . So when someone does a restoration on an old vintage piece that it could be entirely possible that the piece has much better sound then it did back in the day when it was built. And obviously when someone uses premium parts available today that increase in performance is exponentially increased.
   By the way might I suggest that anyone who has a vintage piece that has been restored or resurrected in a sense I have found at least in my case (I have only recently around six months ago joined the brotherhood of vintage equipment owners) that upgrading the fuses on these vintage pieces can make a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I replaced both rear panel fuses with isoclean fuses and it made a pretty big improvement in my recapped vintage piece. Just a suggestion and one that is easily reversible though I doubt anyone would go back once you have heard the improvement.
   Getting back to my original point any comments about the performance increases made by restorations of these old vintage pieces would be appreciated.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #14,083 of 19,143
Nice! Here's my little set up. Aune t1 with amperex 7308 tube dac and Asgard 2 for digital files, and a dynaco sca-50 for my thorens td 145 and oppo for sacds and DVD audios taking it over to peoples houses and loved to see the reaction on peoples faces when they hooked it up and it trounced their receivers sonically making a lot if not most of them sound like

I used to own a tweaked dynaco sca 35 tube integrated amp it was a honey. It is a pity that it was stolen from me I missed it very much. Of course it was my fault for being so trusting in lending it to someone that I apparently should not have trusted. I called back and the number had been disconnected and the person had moved and no longer lived there . I used to refer to it as a pocket battleship. I remember  taking it over to peoples houses and enjoying the look on their faces when they hooked it up when it trounced most if not all of their modern transistor receivers making them sound like transistor radios. How could this 25 watt per channel tube amp sound that much better than their modern transistor receivers. The build quality on this old pieces put a lot of these new receivers to shame. Of course the rebuilt sca 35 had much better parts than it originally had .  I think it cost me around five hundred dollars for the amp and the rebuild .
   I had a thorens td 145 mk II as well for awhile it was my first belt driven turntable. It was pretty decent sounding but the isotrack tonearm with its removable tonearm wand was probably its
weakest link.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #14,084 of 19,143
   Here is an interesting thought. I imagine the performance of parts over the last thirty some years have improved somewhat in their general capability . I am not technically inclined but I imagine that performance parameters of parts has increased somewhat in the last thirty years . So when someone does a restoration on an old vintage piece that it could be entirely possible that the piece has much better sound then it did back in the day when it was built. And obviously when someone uses premium parts available today that increase in performance is exponentially increased.
   By the way might I suggest that anyone who has a vintage piece that has been restored or resurrected in a sense I have found at least in my case (I have only recently around six months ago joined the brotherhood of vintage equipment owners) that upgrading the fuses on these vintage pieces can make a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I replaced both rear panel fuses with isoclean fuses and it made a pretty big improvement in my recapped vintage piece. Just a suggestion and one that is easily reversible though I doubt anyone would go back once you have heard the improvement.
   Getting back to my original point any comments about the performance increases made by restorations of these old vintage pieces would be appreciated.

Improved SQ by replacing the fuses? I'm sorry. This made me laugh out loud. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #14,085 of 19,143
Yeah, I prefer the tp16 mk1 arm on my 145. Bitch to align the cartridge with the big headshell though. Damn man, too bad about the dynaco. Don't love the amp with my tube dac, which is why I got the Asgard 2, but the phono stage pairs very well with my turntable. Good stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back