Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #13,654 of 19,142
Sad day - after spinning some vinyl I checked the mails - and

Harry Pearson

the father of The Absolute Sound,

is no longer with us.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/harry-pearson/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-308

Although he was not exactly receiver lover, most on this thread should at least have heard about him. Out hobby was never the same after he put an indelible stamp on what was then the beginning of audio vocabulary describing subjective experiences of sound. 

I would like to thank him for some seminal reviews that defined subjective audio as we know it today, express condolences to his close ones and to him - R.I.P.

On Cloud Nine, with the last TAS Super Disc list  he compiled for the last 4 decades played on his dearest system. He will be missed .

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #13,655 of 19,142
^^ Sorry to hear it.

On a positive note, I scored some Bose 501 series ii speakers today as freebies. Not sure if they even work, but I had to save 'em. My Fisher 500c did not quite make it to Atlanta today but will be here Monday.

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #13,657 of 19,142
I do know better than to ask in this particular thread.....but am I nuts?

I'm considering the idea of moving my lovely Leben CS300XS out for a nice old fat solid state integrated.  I really do love the sound of tubes, and have dearly enjoyed the Leben...but some part of me is actually tired of the hassle of tubes.  Like, when I manage to forget to turn the thing off when I go to bed/etc.  hah  Or the endless obsessing over finding the "right" tubes which are never cheap.

My headphones are Beyerdynamic T1
Sources are an Asus STX card from computer, a great turntable with a dedicated Sutherland PhD phono pre, and occasionally a cassette deck.  I do use a line out for capturing audio into another PC when I find the time.
I also have a set of Tekton Design OB4.5 speakers I fire up now and then.  Not power hungry speakers at all, and I never play them loudly.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #13,658 of 19,142

I do know better than to ask in this particular thread.....but am I nuts?

I'm considering the idea of moving my lovely Leben CS300XS out for a nice old fat solid state integrated.  I really do love the sound of tubes, and have dearly enjoyed the Leben...but some part of me is actually tired of the hassle of tubes.  Like, when I manage to forget to turn the thing off when I go to bed/etc.  hah  Or the endless obsessing over finding the "right" tubes which are never cheap.

My headphones are Beyerdynamic T1
Sources are an Asus STX card from computer, a great turntable with a dedicated Sutherland PhD phono pre, and occasionally a cassette deck.  I do use a line out for capturing audio into another PC when I find the time.
I also have a set of Tekton Design OB4.5 speakers I fire up now and then.  Not power hungry speakers at all, and I never play them loudly.

Is it a matter of space allocated for your gears and/or you'd like to use the proceeds from the Leben for the purchase of that nice old fat solid state integrated? Easy for me to suggest but if you're able to keep the Leben, then the purchase of a vintage integrated could complete your audio rack.

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #13,659 of 19,142
Nah, space isn't the problem.  More the idea that I'd have to let the Leben go in order to get what I want (what do I want anyway? hah). I suppose if I could figure out a way to have both that would be ideal.  Then I wouldn't be so afraid that I'd made a bad decision.  I feel like I have to get something from the top of the hill to be on the same level as the CS300XS, but I'm not so sure I can swing that without selling it first.  Hence the predicament.

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #13,661 of 19,142
  Hi does anyone have a vintage amp recommendation to use as a headphone amp for Mad Dogs please?

Most planar mag hp's will love the vintage steel, no matter which one you pick. I had the MD with a pioneer sx-1280 and a Sansui 8080 and the MD paired equally well with both receivers.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #13,663 of 19,142

Most planar mag hp's will love the vintage steel, no matter which one you pick. I had the MD with a pioneer sx-1280 and a Sansui 8080 and the MD paired equally well with both receivers.

Thanks Matt, I'll have a look around.  I'm basically choosing between going with an Audio-gd NFB-15 with TXCO & 35W transformer ( so getting dac & amp in one modern solution), or, a vintage amp for less money (Do I need a dac also or just let the vintage amp do its thing?).  The amp I buy will be going on my bedside table, and ideally I would like to connect Mad Dogs to a Surface Pro 3 USB slot (can I bypass the crap soundcard?) using Xbox Music, or, a Nokia Lumia 1520 phone via 3.5mm jack (I don't think Windows Phone 8.1 supports USB OTG sadly!). 

I am selling my AKG K550 & Fiio E17 to supplement the cost of this pending purchase; the K550s are nice but too upper frequency led causing ear fatigue for me- I much prefer MD sound.  The Fiio E17 just doesn't open the sound up enough (can start clipping here & there on 12 gain which isn't good), is muddy at volume  and is not loud enough for me hence my researching every possible suitable solution that is = to or < than $300/ £250.

Also, similar topic, I have a Yamaha Aventage A1020 7.1 channel amplifier (dac on each channel) in my lounge connected to Monitor Audio BX5 floor standing speakers with a subwoofer.  An Xbox One is connected via HDMI using Xbox Music. You can have different "zones" so other speakers connected to it in another room say... but... I am wondering if anyone here could advise whether I could somehow connect a vintage receiver to the BX5's without having to disconnect them from the Yamaha amp?  (sorry if that's a silly question but I'm guessing a vintage receiver powering them would sound more musical?).

Thanks any advice appreciated as I'm eager to buy something for my MDs asap :)

Rgds,
M-83

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #13,665 of 19,142
Yes it is, I've run an he400, hd700, and lcd2.2 from it. If no volume is around 7:30 on the clock, I listen at around 9, so there's plenty of power to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back