Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 12, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #13,561 of 19,145
I redid the surrounds on my JBL 4408 speakers and they sound great with my Yamaha CR-1000.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #13,563 of 19,145
  To PhoenixG, thanks for the suggestions.  I looked them up up ebay, found the Sony receiver you recommended but the seller was asking $200.  There were no Realistic models listed of the recommendations you made.  Boy, when I was researching them, they sure look like tanks!  So, while patience is not one of my virtues, I'll keep looking.  That Kenwood integrated for $139 looks like a pretty good deal though...

I don't know if it's too late or not, but another Sony STR-6065 has gone up on ebay for $80. I'd jump on it if I were looking for a bargain.

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #13,565 of 19,145
I'm waiting for a Yamaha CR-620 receiver to arrive in a couple of days.  I'm also interested in the Sony STR-6065 receiver that PhoenixG recommended and a Harman Kardon HK 505 integrated amp. 

I just read a brief comparo on Audio Asylum between the Yamaha and HK that stated the Yammie was real thin sounding while the HK had a fuller and warmer sound.  In that same comparison, the reviewer stated he thought the HK 505 sounded better than the bigger and older Citation power amps (to him)Anyone else out there have any opinions to share on this?  Your opinions are important to me as I have never heard any vintage HK gear.

Also, how do you think the HK 505 stacks up against the Sony STR-6065?

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #13,566 of 19,145
I redid the surrounds on my JBL 4408 speakers and they sound great with my Yamaha CR-1000.

How difficult was doing this job? I have the replacement foam surrounds for my JBL L110's already, and hope to change them out this next weekend. Did you remove the dustcap and shim the coil when you did the refoam? Thanks!

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #13,567 of 19,145
I used the 30Hz tone CD that was supplied with the surrounds. I use Rich Cobb as my source (looneytunes2001 on ebay) an he supplies the CD with each order. This centers the voice coil so you don't need to remove the dustcap and shim. It was easy and looks like brand new. I also use Aileens Tacky Glue instead of the glue that comes with the surrounds. The glue can be purchased at any fabric store. It's inexpensive and it lasts.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #13,569 of 19,145
I used the 30Hz tone CD that was supplied with the surrounds. I use Rich Cobb as my source (looneytunes2001 on ebay) an he supplies the CD with each order. This centers the voice coil so you don't need to remove the dustcap and shim. It was easy and looks like brand new. I also use Aileens Tacky Glue instead of the glue that comes with the surrounds. The glue can be purchased at any fabric store. It's inexpensive and it lasts.

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I also bought from Mr. Cobb on ebay. wasn't sure about the test tone vs. shims, but definitely prefer to not remove the dustcap. It's great to confirm that the test tone method works well.

I also was planning on using a different type of glue, and picked up a tube from Simply Speakers in FL. I had asked a local JBL authorized service center what they would charge for doing the refoam, and they said JBL does not suggest or promote re-foaming of their transducers. They quoted me $166.00 each + tax for a complete recone.

Interestingly, they also claim to use original Part # C8RLE111A recone kits. Everywhere else I have checked say that the kit has ben discontinued, and would be using an aftermarket kit. It makes me wonder if they indeed do have genuine OEM kits on hand?

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #13,571 of 19,145
My main HP amp is a Sherwood S-8900A.  Over 40 years old.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #13,572 of 19,145
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I also bought from Mr. Cobb on ebay. wasn't sure about the test tone vs. shims, but definitely prefer to not remove the dustcap. It's great to confirm that the test tone method works well.

I also was planning on using a different type of glue, and picked up a tube from Simply Speakers in FL. I had asked a local JBL authorized service center what they would charge for doing the refoam, and they said JBL does not suggest or promote re-foaming of their transducers. They quoted me $166.00 each + tax for a complete recone.

Interestingly, they also claim to use original Part # C8RLE111A recone kits. Everywhere else I have checked say that the kit has ben discontinued, and would be using an aftermarket kit. It makes me wonder if they indeed do have genuine OEM kits on hand?

Do the $20 reform yourself and take your wife out to dinner with the $140 you saved. The Rich Cobb Surrounds will last at least 15 - 20 years. If it's your 1st time doing your speakers take your time. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show you how to replace surrounds using the various methods.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #13,573 of 19,145
  Some gorgeous equipment in here. How do these compare with modern / bespoke units when driving headphones? Are they an "as well as" for when you fancy a change? or would you have one as your main HP amp?

thanks.

Many of us use nothing but vintage for our headphone driving.  I used to have a headphone amp but after one day of vintage put it on the market. 

Because the newer "modern" units use opamps instead of coming of the main amp we believe the sound is inferior to the old stuff. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #13,575 of 19,145
Has anyone here compared their vintage receivers with moderately priced modern headphone amps? I'm just curious where they stand. I have a Yamaha CR-620 that sounds great. I've only compared it with a Lehmann Black Cube Linear and a Matrix M-Stage (Both are similar) and my Yamaha was leaps and bounds better. I'm wondering how it would compare with stuff by AMB, JDS, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back