Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 30, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #13,502 of 19,143
 I can find the page in my sx 1980's manual if you give me a day or so. I imagine they're for the same thing on such similar units, and I remember reading about it.

Let me know what you find please.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #13,503 of 19,143
All - thanks for all the reply's on Speakers/SX1250.  Lots of valuable info there.  This is a great thread!

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #13,505 of 19,143
Thank you Phoenix.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #13,508 of 19,143
just got a pioneer sa7500. its working nice. the capacitors have been replaced. the guy that sold it couldnt get it working, so i was messing about with it and put an oscilloscope to try track a fault. couldnt find one, it turned out the the blocking strips for the power amp were in wrong. happy days. i love this thread.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #13,510 of 19,143
Looks good! What Rogers speakers are those?

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #13,511 of 19,143
Looks good! What Rogers speakers are those?

thanks. they are LS4. i wonder how they would hold up against a modern set of speakers. i have around 500 euro to spend and speakers are one thing i would want to buy new, id imagine second hand speakers have a tendency to be trashed.

although i stopped using my MF B1 amp and connected them up to the pioneer and the extra power is giving them a new lease of life. im currently in that nirvana stage enjoying the new sound.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #13,512 of 19,143
  thanks. they are LS4. i wonder how they would hold up against a modern set of speakers. i have around 500 euro to spend and speakers are one thing i would want to buy new, id imagine second hand speakers have a tendency to be trashed.

although i stopped using my MF B1 amp and connected them up to the pioneer and the extra power is giving them a new lease of life. im currently in that nirvana stage enjoying the new sound.

While I do like many modern speakers, there are also a great number of good deals to be had on the secondhand market. It might take a while to find the right set in the right condition, but it can be worth it. Of course, you will lack warranties or that some maintenance won't be required, but most used speakers have already been through real world testing and come out well. I have bought all of my favorite speakers used for one reason or another and I don't feel like I had to compromise one inch. I think that in order to find a new speaker that is as good as what I found used, I'd have to quadruple my budget (at a minimum).

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #13,513 of 19,143
Yeah I agree...I'm not familiar with that model of Rogers speaker, but certainly Rogers made some great ones. If you like the way they sound I wouldn't be too quick to replace them...

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #13,515 of 19,143
If I'm buying used speakers, I always try to go to the seller's house and have a listen in their setup before buying. I don't actually do this to hear what they'll sound like, since everybody's source chain will cause differences in sound, but to see whether the seller's idea of listening is blasting the speakers as loud as possible. That's when I know to stay away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back