Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 31, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #13,367 of 19,142

Good ol' moodyrn, what would this thread be without your expertise.  Beautiful job.  I think I speak for a lot of us on this thread when I say this : you've probably earned yourself an honorary doctorate in the Vintage Amplifier field.  Dr. Moodyrn …. sounds pretty good. 
biggrin.gif

Haha, thanks. But in all honesty, there are quiet a few on this thread who knows a lot more than I do. I consider myself still a newbe compared to some here. That's one one the things I love most about this thread. Just so much knowledge. We might not have the superstars that Ak have, but I actually prefer it here. Ak is so massive, there are threads upon threads covering each brand. We all can discuss vintage gear in general, whether is a budget sx450 or something like a g22000/sx1980.

Oh, and was it someone here who scooped up that marantz 2500 on eBay for around 750.00? I'm still kicking myself for missing out on that one.

beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #13,368 of 19,142

The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are pretty well regarded, and won't break the bank. They can often be found on sale for around $80-90.

Cool thanks for the tip! There's also some Centrance Masterclass 2504 speakers on sale for $179 that I was considering, they seem to have pretty good reviews as well.

Ha! Yes black and better low end than the Crack and its getting more usage than the Crack - exactly my situation! I daily thank Lug Bugz in my head for convincing me to get one through his high opinion on vintage NAD amps in this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gratz on the purchase! How much did you shell for it?

Hey guys I'm pleased you're enjoying the NAD sound :)  
beerchug.gif

Thanks! Yeah it makes for an incredibly solid headphone amp. I picked it up from a guy on craigslist for $75. Everything seems to work well and the exterior is immaculate, there's like 2 scratches on it haha. Was it a good deal? It seemed like average retail for them was around $100-$150.

One question for you NAD guys. As I've been listening to it I've noticed that after it warms up about 5 min or so it tends to develop a slight channel imbalance. Things that should be centered are very slightly skewed to the left. I went through and cleaned all the pots/switches with Deoxit and re-balanced the DC offset as per the service manual. I didn't check the idle current yet. Any tips on things that might fix it?

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #13,370 of 19,142
Haha, thanks. But in all honesty, there are quiet a few on this thread who knows a lot more than I do. I consider myself still a newbe compared to some here. That's one one the things I love most about this thread. Just so much knowledge. We might not have the superstars that Ak have, but I actually prefer it here. Ak is so massive, there are threads upon threads covering each brand. We all can discuss vintage gear in general, whether is a budget sx450 or something like a g22000/sx1980.

That's exactly why I almost never go over to AK. I much prefer a reasonably-paced thread covering the general topic of vintage receivers to the massive brand- or model-specific threads over at AK.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #13,371 of 19,142
  Cool thanks for the tip! There's also some Centrance Masterclass 2504 speakers on sale for $179 that I was considering, they seem to have pretty good reviews as well.

Thanks! Yeah it makes for an incredibly solid headphone amp. I picked it up from a guy on craigslist for $75. Everything seems to work well and the exterior is immaculate, there's like 2 scratches on it haha. Was it a good deal? It seemed like average retail for them was around $100-$150.

One question for you NAD guys. As I've been listening to it I've noticed that after it warms up about 5 min or so it tends to develop a slight channel imbalance. Things that should be centered are very slightly skewed to the left. I went through and cleaned all the pots/switches with Deoxit and re-balanced the DC offset as per the service manual. I didn't check the idle current yet. Any tips on things that might fix it?

Yup thats defo a bargain buddy. Regarding the channel imbalance, 95% of the time this is due to dirty controls but if you've already cleaned them... I would clean them again. Any of the pots/switches could be the cuprite so never assume its only the balance or volume. Also make sure you clean the headphone out as well, gently with a cotton bud or a fine art paint brush can be useful.

When you hear the channel imbalance, try all of the buttons and controls and see if this affects anything as you may be able to narrow it down this way. But as far a failing caps go it doesn't sound like this to me, as the sound wouldn't be as good as you describe. A dry solder joint would most likely kill the sound all together not just drop it slightly.

Remember you can't clean these old machines enough - oxides can kill audio!  :wink: 

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #13,372 of 19,142
Sep 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #13,373 of 19,142
Sep 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #13,374 of 19,142
  Yup thats defo a bargain buddy. Regarding the channel imbalance, 95% of the time this is due to dirty controls but if you've already cleaned them... I would clean them again. Any of the pots/switches could be the cuprite so never assume its only the balance or volume. Also make sure you clean the headphone out as well, gently with a cotton bud or a fine art paint brush can be useful.

When you hear the channel imbalance, try all of the buttons and controls and see if this affects anything as you may be able to narrow it down this way. But as far a failing caps go it doesn't sound like this to me, as the sound wouldn't be as good as you describe. A dry solder joint would most likely kill the sound all together not just drop it slightly.

Remember you can't clean these old machines enough - oxides can kill audio!  :wink: 

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I think that the culprit is the volume pot, as the channels are balanced perfectly at lower volumes, but at higher volumes things start to shift left. So far I've cleaned it about 3 times with dexoit, is there another solution to try or does the pot just need replaced?

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #13,375 of 19,142
  Didn't know where else to ask about this. What do ye guys think? Ever heard of it? 

http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/accuphase-e-303-x/4138947

This looks to be a niece piece of gear . I am not familiar with the e 303 but I did hear one of their integrated amps a few years back . This one had I believe 180 watts per channel and it was a honey . I thought it gave some of the stores higher offerings a run for the money . But the price on that amp went from around 7 to over 10 thousand  a few years later .
   Of course the 303 came out back in the late seventies .

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #13,379 of 19,142
@ joehalo
Looking good indeed! The stands may be bowing in the middle from weight. Though,
c515d902351c07abf19039ba6d66d4db38d5c855.gif
it's not like they're that high off the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back