Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #13,246 of 19,145
  Finished the recap (minus filter caps) of my SX1250 Friday night.  Here are the results:

It sounds fantastic!

Haha love it! And you've just added probably $500 of investment :) 

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #13,247 of 19,145

If mixing metals was a problem these fuses would not be ul approved. And these fuses have been around for awhile and I have seen no mention of any problems caused by gold plating on fuses .
I have all slow blow fuses in my equipment and I have never had any issues whatsoever .
  I know that 50 bucks is ridiculous pricing but so far as pricing for tweaks that is not as bad as some of the gauging they do with power cords .They are asking just plain obscenely inflated prices for some of the esoteric brands . I was at a dealer in my area recently and the dealer showed me a nordost odin interconnect come on sixteen thousand dollars for a interconnect . You can  buy a car for that .
   That is one reason I have switched to headphones you get a pretty good bang for your buck without mortgaging your home and bringing you to the edge of bankruptcy.
   If you have not tried upgrading your fuses you will not know will you? I think you will be surprised at the difference that 1/2 inch fuse can make .

Mixing metals has nothing to do with UL approval. It has to do with galvanic corrosion. $50 may not be much in total dollars but in % of dollars spent on normal fuses, it's huge. But, if that's how you want to spend your money, regardless of the objective difference, who are we to quibble? I'd rather buy $50 worth of new music or even old stuff on vinyl.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #13,249 of 19,145
Hmmm... Think I'd treat myself to a cheeky bottle of Bourbon and then the rest on beef jerky 
tongue_smile.gif
 Those two fuse together very well :D

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #13,250 of 19,145
  Haha love it! And you've just added probably $500 of investment :) 

Thanks LugBug.  Sounds way too good to ever sell it now.  The tuner and phono sounded harsh - but now that all the tantalum caps are gone it is smooth sailing!

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #13,251 of 19,145
I have all slow blow fuses in my equipment and I have never had any issues whatsoever .

This is actually VERY risky. The only reason you haven't had a problem is, well, the fuse hasn't been needed. But one should NEVER, EVER replace a fast-blow fuse with a slow-blow fuse. Forget about the sound...you are risking blowing up unobtainable parts by doing this. The fact that there hasn't been a problem YET means nothing. I haven't ever blown the fast-blow fuses in my SX-1980, but that doesn't mean I won't ever, and if the fuses are needed, they MUST be the correct type. Fast and slow blow fuses are NOT safely interchangeable.

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #13,253 of 19,145
There's a renowned former Japanese design engineer for Matshu**** (Panasonic) who spent years listening to many many parts of amps/preamps and other electronic goodies. And learned through his experience that even an IEC connector, power cord, chassis and even the selection of footers can influence an amp's sound. 
popcorn.gif

Ah...choices, choices.

R.I.P. Ken Shindo
Founder; Design Engineer - Shindo Laboratory

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #13,255 of 19,145
I'm on my quest in Eugene. One store down. Sent another email today and no response still. I'll find that KA-9100...

Somehow I posted this by accident in another forum. Not sure how that happened...

We do...
tongue_smile.gif
 nuthin' like being in hot pursuit! I'm way down in SoCal pulling for you like no other!!!

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #13,256 of 19,145
Thanks! Two places down now. Looking in Springfield at a third place in a bit.

It would be so much easier if he'd just answer. He's either a creep, dead, its sold and he hasn't taken it down, or its going into a junk folder. I hope its the last one. But its fun to look at these shops.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #13,258 of 19,145
THAT is what you should spend money on. It probably sound much better and those replaced caps will be good for another 40 years. Good job.

Thanks.  But you realize that after this I must keep tweaking, after all I am obsessed - just ask my wife. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #13,260 of 19,145
Seems my Marantz 2270 looks a bit small compared to the 1250 - giving it a listen before I decide if I will sell it it.  It has been mostly recapped.  Also bias, offset, and supply rails adjusted per service manual.  A very nice, powerful sounding unit.  Build quality is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back