Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #13,066 of 19,142
  I'm in Eugene and for general maintenance I go to Jim's Electronics in Eugene. The guy I need to email about a recap of my 9800 is someone I met thru ebay. He works at the U of O and is a hobbyist who has sold many recapped vintage pioneer, sansui and kenwood integrated on ebay. I have never heard of Fred's Sound of Music. Glad they could fix your spec situation. 

Me too.............I was beginning to think there was NO solution and would have to look for something else.  Not a good feeling, but now, almost a year later, it plays flawlessly.  

My daughter is in school there - last year coming up.  I've seen a vintage seller in Eugene that always has a great selection on craigslist - wonder if it's the same guy?

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #13,067 of 19,142

Me too.............I was beginning to think there was NO solution and would have to look for something else.  Not a good feeling, but now, almost a year later, it plays flawlessly.  

My daughter is in school there - last year coming up.  I've seen a vintage seller in Eugene that always has a great selection on craigslist - wonder if it's the same guy?

Congrats on your daughter getting thru 3 years at U of O. Hope her last one goes well. The dude (can't remember his name at the moment) with all the cl postings has slowed down a bit with the selling. I purchased a turntable from him and a sx 1010. I loaned him my lcd 2 and later my he6. He was grateful for the loaners but thought I was crazy to spend that much on headphones. He is a vinyl collector and most of his house was consumed by audio stuff. Not sure how his wife put up with it. Lucky dude for sure. The U of O guy (terrible with names today) on the other hand was relegated to one small room for his audio hobby. His wife had a firm grip on the rest of the house.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #13,068 of 19,142
Hey Guys,  my sansui G9000 db plays fine with 8 ohm B&W bookshelf speakers but goes into protection with my 6.3 ohm HPM 1500. 
Would this simply be a bias and /or dc offset issue or might I be looking at something else?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

That's not enough impedance difference to have any practical consequence. Does it go into protection right away? Or after some period of time playing music? How loudly?

If it goes into protection right away, then I suspect the crossover in the HPM-1500 has a short, or somehow the speaker wires are being shorted. I assume you're not also trying to drive a second set of speakers?

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #13,069 of 19,142
That's not enough impedance difference to have any practical consequence. Does it go into protection right away? Or after some period of time playing music? How loudly?

If it goes into protection right away, then I suspect the crossover in the HPM-1500 has a short, or somehow the speaker wires are being shorted. I assume you're not also trying to drive a second set of speakers?

Do the HPMs sound ok up until it goes into protection - or is there distortion in a channel (to Skylab's point a short)?  I agree that the 1.7 ohms difference should not be enough difference to cause this (unless there is some crazy impedance dip at some frequency).

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #13,071 of 19,142

Who and where is your local tech?  I'm in Gresham and use Doug at Audio Specialties or the guy over at Fred's Sound of Music (was the only guy who could figure out my Spec 2 amp problem).  And where are YOU located? 

Just a word of warning about FSoM. I tried to trade in a home theater receiver there a few years back with the intent to buy a Peachtree Nova that they carry and after "checking it out" for about a week, they told me my receiver wouldn't process High Definition signals. When I told them it wasn't capable of that from the factory (Harmon Kardon), they made up some other reason they wouldn't give me what they initially said they would. I asked if I could talk to the technician and was told, "He doesn't like it when people question his work". I was just looking for clarification. 

I'm glad someone there could help you but I'll stick with Audio Specialties.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #13,072 of 19,142
Thanks Guys....The HPMs play fine on my 1250 and Kenwoods but go into protection right away on the G9000. Only hooking up one pair of speakers at a time. I did have a powered sub hooked up to the G9000 a while back with some bookshelf speakers. 

I did think that the HPMs somehow didn't agree with the Sansui so looking inside the HPMs seems like something I need to do.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #13,073 of 19,142
Sure seems like something is making the G9000 think the HPM-1500 are a dead short. You should be able to connect something as low as a 2 ohm speaker to it and if you didn't play any music, it wouldn't go into protect.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #13,074 of 19,142
The plastic  tabs on the original speaker taps on the G9000 are a bit shot and i have to use a needle tool to lift the metal bar open to inset the speaker wire. Could the original speaker taps be the problem?

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #13,075 of 19,142
  The plastic  tabs on the original speaker taps on the G9000 are a bit shot and i have to use a needle tool to lift the metal bar open to inset the speaker wire. Could the original speaker taps be the problem?

I would just unplug the 1500 and put a meter to them across the inputs. What's their DC resistance? I'd bet you have an issue with them. If you don't see a solid short or very low ohm, then pull the 15'' woofer and have a look-see at the crossovers. Charring, leakage, or loose parts would be a dead giveaway of a short or issue.
I think you've already ruled out the receiver being the problem by using different speakers. If you really want to be sure, try A/B-ing. Fixing conventional speakers is very simple and fairly cheap. Heck, pioneer still makes the woofers (worst case scenario). Recapping a speaker crossover is also very simple.

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #13,076 of 19,142
Just a word of warning about FSoM. I tried to trade in a home theater receiver there a few years back with the intent to buy a Peachtree Nova that they carry and after "checking it out" for about a week, they told me my receiver wouldn't process High Definition signals. When I told them it wasn't capable of that from the factory (Harmon Kardon), they made up some other reason they wouldn't give me what they initially said they would. I asked if I could talk to the technician and was told, "He doesn't like it when people question his work". I was just looking for clarification. 

I'm glad someone there could help you but I'll stick with Audio Specialties.

Funny, if you read the reviews on Yelp like I did before I went there, they are known as arrogant as heck. All the sales guys are known to be pills. The tech I'm talking about just came to work there from Echo Audio about a year and a half ago and the prior tech was known as a know it all from what I'd heard. I was at my last option when I went there and it saved the day. I'm with you tho, I'm a fan of Doug all the way.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #13,077 of 19,142
  I would just unplug the 1500 and put a meter to them across the inputs. What's their DC resistance? I'd bet you have an issue with them. If you don't see a solid short or very low ohm, then pull the 15'' woofer and have a look-see at the crossovers. Charring, leakage, or loose parts would be a dead giveaway of a short or issue.
I think you've already ruled out the receiver being the problem by using different speakers. If you really want to be sure, try A/B-ing. Fixing conventional speakers is very simple and fairly cheap. Heck, pioneer still makes the woofers (worst case scenario). Recapping a speaker crossover is also very simple.

Keep in mind that because of the way a crossover works you may only get the DC resistance of the low pass filter and woofer (unless of course the caps are all shorted - doubtful).  The tweeter and other divers may have caps in series with the drivers thus blocking DC.  You may have to open the HPMs up and measure the DC resistance of each driver individually.

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #13,078 of 19,142
Thanks folks, great info. Probably all basic knowledge to you folks but very helpful to me. I'll get on is asap.

Today my partner and I are switching out elements on a ceramic kiln and replacing an outlet we fried with said kiln. 
confused_face.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #13,079 of 19,142

Keep in mind that because of the way a crossover works you may only get the DC resistance of the low pass filter and woofer (unless of course the caps are all shorted - doubtful).  The tweeter and other divers may have caps in series with the drivers thus blocking DC.  You may have to open the HPMs up and measure the DC resistance of each driver individually.

Yep. You can often be fooled with just measuring at the terminals with so many other things going on with the crossover. I've learned that the hard way many years back. It's the same as testing caps, and transistors in circuit. After verifying the internal wiring is ok, the next step would be to verify all of the drivers individually. Hopefully it will end there. Yes you would have to replace said driver, but they are plentiful on ebay and it's a very easy fix. If the problem exist on the crossover side, unless you are really good with a iron and have a decent understanding of circuit design, then things become much more complicated. But you need to go through the process of elimination first.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #13,080 of 19,142
Well, a local acquaintance has agreed to recap both my SA 9800 and HPM 1500 speakers. Charging me for parts only. I'll have to come up with a way to compensate him for his time. He is very psyched to do the 9800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back