Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 29, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #13,083 of 19,143
This is another casual update on my educational journey of discovering the differences between dedicated headphone amps and these old vintage monster receivers from the horsepower wars back in the late seventies. I know that was a mouth full of opening statements . But here is my observation I went today to a live classical concert at the local park symphony . The national youth symphony was playing . I had a wonderful time and heard some wonderful music played by this very talented and budding group of future musicians .
   When I got home of course I wanted to play some music of the composers they played at the concert .I decided that I would try to play my ray samuels raptor otl amp . I had not listened to it for awhile because of course I have been playing my recapped vintage monster receiver trying to break it in. Well I put in a cd of Gershwin music and played it for awhile . Well I just felt like something was amiss . I was missing the sense of scale and majesty I was  getting from my vintage monster receiver .  That scale was something that I  heard at the live concert that I saw tonight . So I  hooked up my vintage monster and powered it up . Now that scale and majesty was back much more lifelike more like the live concert that I heard tonight . The more I listen to my vintage monster the more I am becoming quite smitten with its abilities with headphones .
   I think I have forever been swayed by the way these monster vintage receivers work when using headphones .
 I also hear a realistic portrayal of the sound of musical instruments they just sound more natural and stand out more than with at least the dedicated headphone amps that I have been using. I am thinking some of this could be just horsepower . I am sure the monster receiver has considerably more power than the measly output of my headphone amps . I guess horsepower does account for something . But the horsepower is of the same sense of quality that I was getting from my headphone amps . It is not just horsepower for the sense of horsepower . There is a sense of refinement as well .
  I am going to explore the premium fuse avenue when I recover from my credit card woes . Boy it just so easy to whip them out and charge things . I used it to purchase my monster receiver . But I  am glad I did because I am loving every minute of my journey of discovery about vintage monster receivers.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #13,084 of 19,143
The time has come for me to ship my vintage lovely back East. The 1978 Sansui G-22000 is going to friend and fellow member wotts. I'm researching best shipping methods at the best price. And then wondered...how did the Japanese Electronics firm originally ship these monster receivers? Double-walled styro cartons inside? Any of you remember?

900x900px-LL-71152121_TeamSansui2-Copy.jpeg

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #13,085 of 19,143

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #13,086 of 19,143
Oooh, I know what that is. Use to be on my short list. But I eventually gave up because they are to hard to find. I am extremely jealous lol. My my, what a score. If you paid short of an arm and leg, then you really scored big.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #13,087 of 19,143
The time has come for me to ship my vintage lovely back East. The 1978 Sansui G-22000 is going to friend and fellow member wotts. I'm researching best shipping methods at the best price. And then wondered...how did the Japanese Electronics firm originally ship these monster receivers? Double-walled styro cartons inside? Any of you remember?

900x900px-LL-71152121_TeamSansui2-Copy.jpeg

I know she will be missed. But I'm glad you were able to keep it the family. And at least it's going to a good home. Congrats to wotts for joining the exclusive membership of the super monster class.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #13,088 of 19,143

That's awesome, I know Tim will enjoy it!!!

I have the original packaging for the SX-1980. It's form-fit styrofoam inside one double walled box that is then inside a second double walled box! When I sent mine to Matt for recapping, I actually put that whole thing inside a third box, with some peanuts around that. The outer box was in bad shape when it arrived, but the 1980 and it's original packaging were just fine.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #13,089 of 19,143
I know she will be missed. But I'm glad you were able to keep it the family. And at least it's going to a good home. Congrats to wotts for joining the exclusive membership of the super monster class.

I am really stoked to have it coming. I have to build a new rack to accommodate it though - the one I had barely fits the SX-1980 or the 1250. I guess that isn't a bad problem to have!

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #13,090 of 19,143

I am really stoked to have it coming. I have to build a new rack to accommodate it though - the one I had barely fits the SX-1980 or the 1250. I guess that isn't a bad problem to have!

Haha, so many first world problems. I have three top rate receivers but only two top rate sets of speakers. Oh well, looks like another excuse for a shopping trip. 
atsmile.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #13,091 of 19,143
I think I will have to swap some speakers around. Perhaps add a pair. I have the Mac XR1051 on the 1980 right now, with HPM-100s and S-1010s on "standby". I'd like to give some Cornwalls a try.

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #13,092 of 19,143

Your Sansui looks sooo very sexy!

Precisely because it's staying in the family, I still have joy and appreciation, no sadness. Honestly, this thread is so rich in the way of history and gear, I'm surprised Head-Fi hasn't spun us off already!  

That's awesome, I know Tim will enjoy it!!!

I have the original packaging for the SX-1980. It's form-fit styrofoam inside one double walled box that is then inside a second double walled box! When I sent mine to Matt for recapping, I actually put that whole thing inside a third box, with some peanuts around that. The outer box was in bad shape when it arrived, but the 1980 and it's original packaging were just fine.

Rigid form-fitted styro is surprisingly strong. I had a hunch they did this. My aim now is to box it up so good it'll get flagged by U.S. Customs...despite staying inside the country! 
tongue_smile.gif

Originally Posted by PhoenixG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha, so many first world problems. I have three top rate receivers but only two top rate sets of speakers. Oh well, looks like another excuse for a shopping trip. 
atsmile.gif

I'd love to have some of his problems inside the listening room. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #13,094 of 19,143
  I think I will have to swap some speakers around. Perhaps add a pair. I have the Mac XR1051 on the 1980 right now, with HPM-100s and S-1010s on "standby". I'd like to give some Cornwalls a try.

Yes Cornwalls!! Those are my favorite speakers of all the Klipsch heritage line. IMO they have the most balanced sound among al the line.

If I had the space I would follow Rob's example and put together a vintage system (third system in the house) based on the Cornwalls.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #13,095 of 19,143
Hey guys,

So I borrowed a JVC R-S5 vintage stereo receiver (circa 1980-81), and I plugged my HD800s into them. And they sound a million times better than out of my Objective2 amplifier. I cannot stop listening to them. The point is that I'm hooked on vintage amps now.

I am looking to buy a new vintage amp for my HD800s.

I was thinking of getting a Marantz 2245, but I've heard that the matching with the HD800s isn't that great and that I could do a lot better for the price.

Right now I have my eyes on a NAD 3020. Is that a good choice?

Are there any other recommendations? Thanks! 

Get the 3120. It doesn't have the tone controls. The bad thing is it doesn't have low level option which is nice to have since HD800 are quite sensitive and with it you can balance channels without going too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back