Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #13,051 of 19,136
Pioneers being bright as a whole is just as much a misconception as all marantz being really warm. To me the fact that there are different sound signatures within each brand adds to their appeal and the chase. And the reason why every time I say I'm done, something on my short list comes available and I can't resist. I had said I really wanted either the ma6200 or the sa9800. I did end up scoring the ma6200 first, but I must admit that I still badly want a  9800. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #13,052 of 19,136
I would say my SX1250 is brighter than most other gear I have had in house - but not overly bright, and very detailed.  Trust me, it won't be going anywhere (and it is not even fully recapped yet - two boards to go - and the main filter caps need replacing too).  Only one piece on my short list is the 500C - who knows if I will ever get that chance.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #13,053 of 19,136
Thanks guys for your imput much appreciated . Now where would i put it, that is the question.Like they say if theres a will theres a way 

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #13,054 of 19,136
Pioneers being bright as a whole is just as much a misconception as all marantz being really warm. To me the fact that there are different sound signatures within each brand adds to their appeal and the chase. And the reason why every time I say I'm done, something on my short list comes available and I can't resist. I had said I really wanted either the ma6200 or the sa9800. I did end up scoring the ma6200 first, but I must admit that I still badly want a  9800. 

Totally agree. There is nothing bright about my SX-1980. It's not voiced lush or romantic, but it's definitely not bright. If it departs from neutral I would say it's just a very slight touch warm in the lower mids.

And like you brother Moody, I also still lust after an SA-9800 :D

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #13,055 of 19,136
Totally agree. There is nothing bright about my SX-1980. It's not voiced lush or romantic, but it's definitely not bright. If it departs from neutral I would say it's just a very slight touch warm in the lower mids.

And like you brother Moody, I also still lust after an SA-9800
biggrin.gif

Not cosmetically great but maybe an option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-SA-9800-VINTAGE-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-/111408692277?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item19f079bc35

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #13,056 of 19,136
Thanks! But that guy is dreaming...no way he gets $750 for a unit in that condition. I would pay $750 for a fully restored one in mint condition. As has been discussed a few times in this thread, integrateds sell for much less than the receivers, oddly.

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #13,057 of 19,136
I paid $450 off cl for this 9800 a couple years ago and quite happy to own this piece. Looking to get it restored when finances permit.

I see people trying to get big bucks for these on ebay. In my opinion, sonically, not worth it. Now...A full restore might change my mind
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #13,058 of 19,136
Yeah with a couple of exceptions like the au-20000. It's basically the integrated version of the g9000 but fetch for a lot more. For some reason, they seam to fetch g22000 type money. It is a gorgeous amp though. As beat up as that 9800 is, I wouldn't pay half of that. I would buy a cometically mint piece of gear that didn't work before  I would buy a working beat up one. One rule of thumb...."most" of the times you can get most amps/receivers repaired. But once something is beat to hell, you can't get that back. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #13,059 of 19,136
  I paid $450 off cl for this 9800 a couple years ago and quite happy to own this piece. Looking to get it restored when finances permit.

I see people trying to get big bucks for these on ebay. In my opinion, sonically, not worth it. Now...A full restore might change my mind
biggrin.gif

A couple of years ago, that was the going rate for them. There were two in my area for around the same price. They stayed on craigslist for a few of months. For some reason, the price of these have just exploded. And now, I'm really kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. I was thinking I could get one for that price or cheaper anytime. Well....that didn't turn out to be the case. Maybe it was the thread over at ak were a few were saying it bested both the 1250 and 1280. But I do really like the topology. It's basically a class A amp without the heat. A very unique design.

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #13,060 of 19,136
Clay bum that one looks quite nice.

There was a really beautiful fully restored one on AK about a year ago that I just missed. Still bummed out about it.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #13,061 of 19,136
Yeah, prices have exploded on these and it must be a few rave reviews. I am really curious about getting it restored and comparing it to my higher end restored units. At this point it is not quite on par. But as we all know, comparing restored units to unrestored is not fair....and I really do like the amp.

I have a guy in mind locally to do the work, I own a KA 8100 he restored and I believe he does good work. 

If I ever let it go, you 2 (Skylab and Moody) have first dibs. Perhaps an arm wrestling match to determine the winner

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #13,062 of 19,136
LOL! Yeah definitely give one of us first shot, that'd be grand.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #13,063 of 19,136
  Yeah, prices have exploded on these and it must be a few rave reviews. I am really curious about getting it restored and comparing it to my higher end restored units. At this point it is not quite on par. But as we all know, comparing restored units to unrestored is not fair....and I really do like the amp.

I have a guy in mind locally to do the work, I own a KA 8100 he restored and I believe he does good work. 

If I ever let it go, you 2 (Skylab and Moody) have first dibs. Perhaps an arm wrestling match to determine the winner

Who and where is your local tech?  I'm in Gresham and use Doug at Audio Specialties or the guy over at Fred's Sound of Music (was the only guy who could figure out my Spec 2 amp problem).  And where are YOU located? 

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #13,064 of 19,136
Hey Guys,  my sansui G9000 db plays fine with 8 ohm B&W bookshelf speakers but goes into protection with my 6.3 ohm HPM 1500. 
Would this simply be a bias and /or dc offset issue or might I be looking at something else?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #13,065 of 19,136

Who and where is your local tech?  I'm in Gresham and use Doug at Audio Specialties or the guy over at Fred's Sound of Music (was the only guy who could figure out my Spec 2 amp problem).  And where are YOU located? 

I'm in Eugene and for general maintenance I go to Jim's Electronics in Eugene. The guy I need to email about a recap of my 9800 is someone I met thru ebay. He works at the U of O and is a hobbyist who has sold many recapped vintage pioneer, sansui and kenwood integrated on ebay. Not sure he will even have time to accommodate me.  I have never heard of Fred's Sound of Music. Glad they could fix your spec situation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back