Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #13,021 of 19,143
I must finally confess....I have a new piece.

This is my recapped and restored SX1250 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

It sounds quite good pushing my HPM 1500 ( I don't listen to headphones any more). The bass on the 1250 is a bit ramped up compared to my Kenwood model 600 (which is what I was usually listening too before the Pioneer showed up) and has more texture, detail and nuances. Overall I'd say the Kenwood and Pioneer  have about the same resolving capabilities (except the bass). The Kenwood is very neutral as is the Pioneer and I like that. However, the 1250 has that Pioneer magic, or slight coloration and authority which probably resides in the bass and slightly sparkly treble. Hard to put into words. A lovely piece of gear that I am pleased to own. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #13,022 of 19,143

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

It sounds quite good pushing my HPM 1500 ( I don't listen to headphones any more). The bass on the 1250 is a bit ramped up compared to my Kenwood model 600 (which is what I was usually listening too before the Pioneer showed up) and has more texture, detail and nuances. Overall I'd say the Kenwood and Pioneer  have about the same resolving capabilities (except the bass). The Kenwood is very neutral as is the Pioneer and I like that. However, the 1250 has that Pioneer magic, or slight coloration and authority which probably resides in the bass and slightly sparkly treble. Hard to put into words. A lovely piece of gear that I am pleased to own. 

Enjoying the heck out of mine.  Noticed the bass improved quite a bit after I recapped it.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #13,023 of 19,143
Well, came across a minor issue with my order. The seller called me today saying he put in the wrong info for shipping estimate, which didn't surprise me given the $12 shipping cost from Cali to Texas, and asked if it'd be ok if I sent an extra $20 to help cover part of the cost, it actually being $52. The way I see it, mistakes happen, and I'm still getting a good value, so all in all I can't complain.

That is a bit naughty of the seller, after all, a deal is a deal. But as you say, it is a bargain and ofcourse he will know this. But the good news is, is that he is making sure that the shipping costs are covered rather than going for the cheapest option available. And there will be $12 options with some companies. You also have contact with the seller which is always a good thing. I always keep buyers informed from start to finish and I always appreciate it when I'm buying too. 

Also, it would be very rare for someone 'in the know' (and they certainly seem to considering all the restoration info provided) to badly package an amp. I would rest easy bud, it'll get to you in good shape I'm sure :)

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Sweet mary queen of all things vintage, thats one bad ass of a SX'y Pioneer buddy! 

Recapped and restored you say aswell..?? 

Well I never :D 
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #13,024 of 19,143
  That is a bit naughty of the seller, after all, a deal is a deal. But as you say, it is a bargain and ofcourse he will know this. But the good news is, is that he is making sure that the shipping costs are covered rather than going for the cheapest option available. And there will be $12 options with some companies. You also have contact with the seller which is always a good thing. I always keep buyers informed from start to finish and I always appreciate it when I'm buying too. 

Also, it would be very rare for someone 'in the know' (and they certainly seem to considering all the restoration info provided) to badly package an amp. I would rest easy bud, it'll get to you in good shape I'm sure :)

I chatted with him a little on the phone when he called to inform me, he apparently pops his head in on this forum from time to time, as well as restores audio equipment as a hobby, so I'm confident I'm getting a good deal.  I was actually feeling slightly apprehensive about the cheap shipping until he called.  This purchase is really going to drive me towards spending 300-500 on a turntable, I know it.  It'll be nice to feel more inclined towards listening to my records again.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #13,026 of 19,143
Indeed, and it bet it sounds that good, or better!!! Congrats indeed...I love knowing another classic Pioneer will be in service for many years to come.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #13,027 of 19,143

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Claybum : glad you came out of the closet & finally confessed
biggrin.gif
 Seriously, congratulations that 1250 is classic & a beauty.  Happy for you.  Hope you enjoy it for many music sessions to come. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #13,028 of 19,143
Well, came across a minor issue with my order. The seller called me today saying he put in the wrong info for shipping estimate, which didn't surprise me given the $12 shipping cost from Cali to Texas, and asked if it'd be ok if I sent an extra $20 to help cover part of the cost, it actually being $52. The way I see it, mistakes happen, and I'm still getting a good value, so all in all I can't complain.

Hi Saoshyant, I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I bought my Fisher 500C off a seller on ebay.ca.  He was asking for $950 CDN & I made an offer of $850 CDN which he accepted.  He advertised the shipping as free.  Then he sent me a message saying that the shipping was more expensive than he expected and would I pay half of it which turned out to be $25 CDN (total cost $50 for shipping). I could have argued that he advertised the item as shipping for free but considering the shape the amp was in (which is a similar case for you) & the fact that he initially came down $100 I figured that all in all a $75 CDN reduction overall was still a pretty good bargain.  I also took into consideration other 500Cs that were for sale on ebay for much more money & in less good technical/aesthetic shape than the one I had just bought.  IMHO you scored a great looking amp & at a darn good deal in the end.  Enjoy 
L3000.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #13,029 of 19,143
I even have good condition vintage headphones to go with the receiver.  I really hope I like the look of the receiver in person as much as I did the pictures.  I expect as with a lot of older mechanical objects I'll have to do some research on a good repair shop in town, but it'll be an investment that could very well be worthwhile depending on how much I like the sound.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #13,031 of 19,143
I posted this in the Help forum & got only 2 replies, one suggesting repair was never a a good option (really?), one suggesting I buy a much newer HK 3390.  I rather think that the vintage owners in this group will know more about older receivers & may steer me right.   

"I have a 20+ year old Denon DRA-435R & a CD player to play my CD's (listening on V-Moda 80 hp's).  On 1st startup, one channel is very low in output + lots of noise.  This gradually gets better over ~ 15 minutes.  I've tried q-tipping the hp jack with oxide remover, that seemed to help, but I think it was just wistful thinking.   Should I drop $150 ish (or more!) at an authorized service center or give it away as a boat anchor & buy something on fleabay
"
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #13,032 of 19,143

Cheers guys. Thanks! I know inexpensive is relative and I wanted to throw out some perspective. For about the cost of a pizza on the town, you can occasionally get a really decent vintage receiver. That's why I looove vintage. New home for them is West of Seattle. The 1980 is being refurbed by mattsd on AK right now, and everything else is in boxes until we close on our beautiful new house.
Speaking of, is anyone going to the Seattle meet? If there's demand, I'd consider going with the str-6120.
Those are infinity primus speakers. Really the best out there at any price. They have a good set of trickle down technologies that let some of their drivers show up on cheaper models, but damn fine speakers in their own right. Just slightly better than Klipsch Cornwalls in terms of sound quality, but much much more sensitive. Only require 10W to shine, vs about 40 for the cornies.

Wow 40 watts for cornwalls? Even Paul Klipsch himself said you only needed 5 good watts to drive them. I had mine on my 25wpc fisher and couldn't even get to 9:00 on the volume knob.  I even had to engage the -20db button on the 9090db I had. Maybe yours have been reworked internally? But congrats on the new house.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #13,033 of 19,143
  Wow 40 watts for cornwalls? Even Paul Klipsch himself said you only needed 5 good watts to drive them. I had mine on my 25wpc fisher and couldn't even get to 9:00 on the volume knob.  I even had to engage the -20db button on the 9090db I had. Maybe yours have been reworked internally? But congrats on the new house.

OK, good catch, maybe 40 is the most I have ever used with them. I was illustrating that newer speakers are slightly more sensitive for more than slightly more money. I doubt that I crack 1W with most normal listening, so many low powered amps are perfectly adequate to sound great.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #13,034 of 19,143
  I posted this in the Help forum & got only 2 replies, one suggesting repair was never a a good option (really?), one suggesting I buy a much newer HK 3390.  I rather think that the vintage owners in this group will know more about older receivers & may steer me right.   

"I have a 20+ year old Denon DRA-435R & a CD player to play my CD's (listening on V-Moda 80 hp's).  On 1st startup, one channel is very low in output + lots of noise.  This gradually gets better over ~ 15 minutes.  I've tried q-tipping the hp jack with oxide remover, that seemed to help, but I think it was just wistful thinking.   Should I drop $150 ish (or more!) at an authorized service center or give it away as a boat anchor & buy something on fleabay
"
confused_face(1).gif

You could try opening the amp up and spraying http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G on all of the pots and switches as it is likely a build up of oxide if one channel is low. This may be all that a service center might do and you can do it yourself very easily :) Theres loads of info on the net on how to do it :)  

If this doesn't work and the noise is still there, then it may be a faulty capacitor. This is where you do need some skill in finding it and replacing it... If this is the case then I'd probably look for another amp if you are not confident in taking this route. $150 can get you some pretty good vintage stuff if you keep looking on craiglist and fleabay :)

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #13,035 of 19,143
OK, good catch, maybe 40 is the most I have ever used with them. I was illustrating that newer speakers are slightly more sensitive for more than slightly more money. I doubt that I crack 1W with most normal listening, so many low powered amps are perfectly adequate to sound great.
regular_smile%20.gif

The scary thing is, they will actually handle much more than that which is insanely loud. Those things could be used as dj speakers
Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back