Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 18, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #12,961 of 19,142
 One of my fellow headfiers brought up a very interesting idea. My concept 16.5 receiver has a jumper plug between the preamp and amp section  He suggested the possibility of using my audio research preamp with the concept 16.5s amp section to drive my lcd2 v2s . I think these old receivers take their headphone output off the amplifier section through a load resistor to pare down the amplifier output for headphone use. I am not a tech but would this work? I do not want to blow my lcd2s . Any suggestions about the feasibility of this would be appreciated .

That should work fine. The idea is to improve sound quality by using the AR preamp in place of the built ih Concept preamp, correct? I would try it both ways and see what you like better, as the Concept pre should already be quite good in a TOTL unit like that. Just watch the volume setting on the preamp before plugging in your good phones. If you have a cheaper pair, you can always try those first. It shouldn't be necessary if you're using the headphone out, but it never hurts to be cautious,

When you're messing with the pre out/main in jacks/jumpers, I'd do that with the unit off to be safe and the headphones not plugged into the jack. I'd also leave the headphones out until after you've powered up the receiver and pre. Sometimes power on produces a spike/pop through speakers (or headphones), and best not to subject your LCDs to that either. Your units may not do that, but some do.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #12,962 of 19,142
   One of my fellow headfiers brought up a very interesting idea. My concept 16.5 receiver has a jumper plug between the preamp and amp section  He suggested the possibility of using my audio research preamp with the concept 16.5s amp section to drive my lcd2 v2s . I think these old receivers take their headphone output off the amplifier section through a load resistor to pare down the amplifier output for headphone use. I am not a tech but would this work? I do not want to blow my lcd2s . Any suggestions about the feasibility of this would be appreciated .

Hey there. That's definitely something that could work! No problem. But why?
If you're just needing inexpensive power, that's all well and good. If you're looking to be able to use a remote control on your newer preamp, I totally understand and think it's a great idea. Otherwise, you'd be losing many of the functions from your vintage amp apart from the power. You might find that you're adding steps without adding function/value.

Either way, if you do it,  make sure you test it with something robust that can handle power before you plug in your headphones. There will likely be a minor volume difference just because of the different controls on each preamp. Also, DON'T LOSE THOSE JUMPERS! They are a pain to replace and are the reason about 1/3rd of "broken" amps have the lights on but nobody home (no sound).

I'm aiming more for using it for the headphone out as well as plugging an old Stax SR-44 into it, but might also be plugged into a pair of Pioneer SP-FS51-LR.  Nothing great I know, but it's what I have.  As far as sound sig, I am utterly not picky, I kind of listen to a wide variety, so there's give and take with it all.  For budget, I'd prefer to aim for 300 or less.

In that budget, you can get some really nice gear. I would advise you to find a brand you're cool with and try to get the best item you can from them. Pioneer might be out of reach as far as getting a great one, but don't discount a great realistic (STA-2100D or STA-2000D) or a great sony (STR-6060, STR-6065, STR-6055, STR-6200f).
I know I'm just a random guy on the internet, but maybe I can get everyone else to back me up on this method. The TOTL / almost TOTL units will sound better, be better made (really important), hold value better, and do more things. If you go for a less popular good brand, you can get closer to/all the way to TOTL within your budget.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #12,963 of 19,142

Also, DON'T LOSE THOSE JUMPERS! They are a pain to replace and are the reason about 1/3rd of "broken" amps have the lights on but nobody home (no sound).

Yes, the original jumpers can be a pain to replace with the "correct" ones, but regular RCA cables work fine for the job if you're looking to test something that doesn't have them, or don't care about originality.

When I purchased my Pioneer Spec-1 and SPEC-2 system back in the late 70's, Pioneer supplied RCA cables to connect the two. For the receivers that use the jumpers, you can find correctly spaced ones on e-bay that are not OEM, but most of them seem a bit overpriced for what they are.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #12,964 of 19,142
Its me and my NAD again. I want to thank LugBug for his input on the amp and ultimately convincing me to get it for my HD800. Something has changed 100%.
Heres the story. I didn't like the amp, it wasn't good with any of the headphones I own. I even left it about 30 hours playing non stop with headphones plugged in.
Then I connected the amp to speakers, an older Wharfedale Modus One that were never playing on nominal level, either too low (I listen to music on low level when I go to sleep) or on too high level (used it on a couple parties). After a couple minutes I was scratching my head why does it sound better on these mediocre speakers but so bad on high end HD800. I left it play with speakers for a couple hours until I connected HD800 again. Wow. So good. Exactly what I wanted to hear - energy, no brightness, huge level of detail (very surprising) and meaty bass! I didn't get this kind of bass from any headphone amp I own. Not a hollow bass presentation but actual speaker type bass! What has happened? I don't know. The transformer is connected to headphones and maybe more power that drove the speakers made the amp alive? It could also be the fact that i had opened the amp and dusted it just before I connected it to speakers.
I don't know but I know I have found the perfect amp for my HD800. With these I never had problems with brightness but the bass was never satisfactory and the sound was too hollow.

Very happy and Low level feature is very nice, eliminates channel imbalance and for a change its nice to go past 10 o'clock rather than trying desperately to avoid channel imbalance at 7 o'clock. Now off to try to find a vintage TDA1541 DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Phew! I knew there must have been sumin up... 
biggrin.gif

Soooo pleased you're happy with it now bud. Yeah after trying quite a few vintage amps with the HD800, the NAD's sound spot on to me.

I would still give it a little deoxit as well bud, as the cleaner the switches and pots then the cleaner the signal - might improve even more! 
eek.gif
. Very easy to do :)

@captouch loved the Vintage contest. Don't think I'll ever find a Fisher my neck of the woods for a low enough price, but I'm keeping a look out for the Sony 
tongue_smile.gif

(been on hols, and now catching up on loads of great posts :D 

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #12,966 of 19,142
Those Yammys are sure Gorgeous.  Conrats!

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #12,967 of 19,142
Well here is an interesting find.  I bought a Sony ns999es DVD, SACD, CD player off of CL (incredible sound and highly modifiable) this past week to use with my main system.  While there we got talking about vintage audio and I mentioned that I restore some of the old gear.  Next thing I know he says he has and old piece in his basement that he was going to fix, but now wants to give it to me:

It turned out to be a Superscope QR 450.  In rough shape.  Bent controls, peeling veneer, some bulbs out, and a cut power cord.  That said I attached a new cord and am getting nice sound from three of the four channels.  When I get some of the other stuff off my bench I will have to dig into this one and see what I can do with it.  Interestingly - at the time this was made Superscope was the parent company of Marantz.

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #12,969 of 19,142
  It turned out to be a Superscope QR 450.  In rough shape.  Bent controls, peeling veneer, some bulbs out, and a cut power cord.  That said I attached a new cord and am getting nice sound from three of the four channels.  When I get some of the other stuff off my bench I will have to dig into this one and see what I can do with it.  Interestingly - at the time this was made Superscope was the parent company of Marantz.

That's one I've never seen before. Can somebody fill me in?

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #12,970 of 19,142
Wish I could, but I have not had time to research it yet.

Edit: 4x10 WPC or 2x25 WPC.  Apparently it is pretty rare.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #12,971 of 19,142
That is a very retro look. Nice purple color haha.

Quote:

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #12,972 of 19,142
I don't ever recall seeing purple illuminate displays on receivers. Maybe the owner replaced the bulbs...or I need to get out more. 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #12,973 of 19,142
  I don't ever recall seeing purple illuminate displays on receivers. Maybe the owner replaced the bulbs...or I need to get out more. 
normal_smile .gif

This model actually did have a pink-purple look to the display. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back