Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 19, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #12,106 of 19,142
YES! HAHA! About 1000 words more! Photos or it didn't happen! 
atsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #12,107 of 19,142

I resemble that remark...............three weekends ago wife was out doing her thing with my daughters and her friends.  Me at home with my Golden Retriever, my Spec system and a pair of Cerwin Vegas.................................need I say more. 

ph34r.gif

But... what about Doggie's hearing?

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #12,108 of 19,142
:ph34r:
But... what about Doggie's hearing?

She waits outside the room t the top of the stairs in he usual perch watching the world go by with me behind the door cranking some Rush. I don't subject my baby to that torture. :D

Here she is enjoying some Paul Hardcastle...........

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #12,109 of 19,142
What do you call a dog that likes deep bass? 

A sub-woofer. 

(sorry)

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #12,112 of 19,142
Well, one last update here about the quads. The German supplier did have some used ones on hand for 62.00 each and luckily it's an exact match of the one I have since there are different versions of it., but the shipping will be 40.00 lol. But that's still a very good price especially when it seems he's the only one in ther world that have any. I had couple of places here to tell me if anyone has any, it would be him. And one or two even said if you fine one, let me know. I also found someone up in Maine who said they could rebuild my old one for 180.00, so that's pretty much out of the question.

I checked the eht board that was connected to that transformer, and except for a few diodes and a couple of caps a little out of spec, there's no damage. Accessing the eht boards is a little tricky. It involved baking them in the oven, and slowly bring heat up to 350 and baking them since they are incased in a very solid wax.  I also swapped the power supply from the working speaker for the non working one, and it works with no issues. And after an almost complete break down of both panels, there's no damage from arching. So it's really a mystery as to what went wrong. The only thing I can think of is he plugged the socket in wrong and fried it. Other than that I just don't know.

On another sad note, the transformer melt down melted a hole in the  bass panel dust cover behind it. Thanfully, that's as far as it went. Also one of the bass panels from the other speaker has a long slit tear on the rear dust cover. So I have to replace both of those which will involve removing two bass panels. But all of the front dust covers are fine. The trickly part is since I don't have a tensioner, my only option is to tension the dust cover with a heat gun. So I made sure to order enough 3M film for a few re-do's. But that's it for this thread. Future updates with pics of the breakdown with be posted in the vintage speaker thread. As of now, the order for the transformer is placed, and I'm almost finished putting together an order to rebuild the power supply boards and crossovers. I might as well go all the way since they have been taken apart.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #12,113 of 19,142
Congrats - Moody.  That is going to be one nice setup when you are done with the work.  Maybe you can go for the HQD system someday!

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #12,115 of 19,142
Good luck with the rest of the job Moody. You always make it an interesting journey! Also, I'm sure everyone here will appreciate a pic or two when they are done (with your amps in the background :wink: 

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #12,116 of 19,142
Well - so far I have recapped, replaced the relay, and cleaned the pins on the protection board. Also recapped the filter amp (just 1 cap), control amp, the flat amp, and did some cleaning.  Used film caps where ever I could to improve the sound.  This especially helped with the control amp where all the EQ is done - many caps there.  Immense improvement in sound when using the tone controls now.  Also eliminating all tantalum caps as I go - they tend to sound harsh - and tend to fail.

Still to go: stabilizer board, L/R output boards, tuner board, phono board, power supply board.  Going to have to order some parts as my inventory is drying up.

Very happy with how it sounds so far:

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #12,117 of 19,142
Good luck with the rest of the job Moody. You always make it an interesting journey! Also, I'm sure everyone here will appreciate a pic or two when they are done (with your amps in the background :wink: 

Thanks.:beerchug:

Well - so far I have recapped, replaced the relay, and cleaned the pins on the protection board. Also recapped the filter amp (just 1 cap), control amp, the flat amp, and did some cleaning.  Used film caps where ever I could to improve the sound.  This especially helped with the control amp where all the EQ is done - many caps there.  Immense improvement in sound when using the tone controls now.  Also eliminating all tantalum caps as I go - they tend to sound harsh - and tend to fail.

Still to go: stabilizer board, L/R output boards, tuner board, phono board, power supply board.  Going to have to order some parts as my inventory is drying up.

Very happy with how it sounds so far:

That's great progress. Looking forward to your impressions once it's completed.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #12,118 of 19,142
Question for you guys. This guy wants to trade me his pair of Jbl 4311b for my sx-950.... Fair trade or not? Here is the pic he sent me.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #12,119 of 19,142
The 950 is a nice unit - I would not do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back