Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 5, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #11,926 of 19,138
I've got a "R" series Yamaha from the early 80's as well. It's an R2000 rated at 150wpc. I bought it brand new along with a bunch of other classic pieces. They sound great with my JBL L112's. The only thing I've had to do is replace the STK's once. I also have a Fisher CA880 integrated. Another STK based unit. I've got a line on a McIntosh MC2500/C33 duo. Hopefully it all comes to fruition.

I've got that same Fisher as well. What is this STK you refer to?

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #11,927 of 19,138
I use the term "collateral damage" while browsing the internet and discovering some other related interesting stuff.

I guess I will have to add "virtual" to the above kind of collateral damage - because while we were trying all their "toys" with all of my "toys" in order to achieve the best possible sound quality of the pending Livestream of a concert this Sunday evening I will be providing audio for, I spotted this guy ( OK, in English would be gal ) gathering dust on a remote shelf :

Sorry for blurry pic - it is a NAD 7030.

After saying that I love restoring vintage gear, this became the 1st Tangible Collateral Damage - the owner gave it to me for free, declaring he is happy that she found a good new home.

Unfortunately, the light show seen in pics is the only thing this receiver uttered. No sound, tuner meters do not react to anything. I was hoping it is only the speaker output fuses - but discovering that fuses are not only intact, but instead of rated 3.15 A replaced by 10 A 
eek.gif
 - you get the picture...

I will try to ressurect her, time permitting.  

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #11,929 of 19,138
I'm new to 'vintage' and am looking at the following receivers/integrated amps, any ideas?

-Harman Kardon HK 730 2 Channel 80 Watt Stereo Receiver Twin Powered
-NAD 302 Amplifier
-NAD 7140 AM-FM STEREO RECEIVER
-Marantz 1030 Integrated Amplifier
-SANSUI AU-2200
-Any other options in the <200$ range?

I'm not one to hear or attribute significantly different sound signatures in amps (but I am sensitive to distortion and noise), just looking for something to drive my headphones and speakers to moderate listening levels. Tuner or not makes no difference either.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #11,930 of 19,138
  I'm new to 'vintage' and am looking at the following receivers/integrated amps, any ideas?

-NAD 302 Amplifier
-SANSUI AU-2200

I'm not one to hear or attribute significantly different sound signatures in amps (but I am sensitive to distortion and noise), just looking for something to drive my headphones and speakers to moderate listening levels. Tuner or not makes no difference either.

Hard to beat the sound of a Sherwood S-7200 or S-7100A for the price.  Both usually obtainable for less than $100 on that well known auction site.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #11,933 of 19,138

-[COLOR=333333]Harman Kardon HK 730 2 Channel 80 Watt Stereo Receiver Twin Powered[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]-[/COLOR]NAD 302 Amplifier
-[COLOR=333333]Marantz 1030 Integrated Amplifier[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]-[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]SANSUI AU-2200[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]-Any other options in the <200$ range?[/COLOR]

HK730s sound nice and crisp when re-capped. They have more oomph to the sound then you might expect from the 40ish watts/channel due to the twin transformer design. The pots and switches are of lower quality however and likely to be noisy and require repeated treatment with deoxit. Usually quite cheap.

If I were in your shoes I'd look for a Marantz 2230 or lower level Marantz 22xx receiver on your local CL. They can be had for under $200 if youre patient-- nice quiet preamp sections and generally good build quality.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #11,934 of 19,138

-NAD 302 Amplifier
-SANSUI AU-2200

I'm generalizing, but any vintage integrated amp will be a good choice for headphone duty, as well as doubling as a speaker amp.  I'd take my RCA hookups along with my iPod and headphones and listen to your choices.  Think you'll be blown away as I was the first time I listened to digital music through my first vintage amp, the Kenwood KA-5700.  Could not believe the sound and the bass! 

And the only reason to get a receiver is if you still listen to FM.  I have not in years with iPods and Pandora/Spotify. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #11,935 of 19,138
I've got that same Fisher as well. What is this STK you refer to?

The "STK pack" as it is commonly referred to is a large electronic component within the power amp circuit that takes the place of many power transistors in a discrete type of circuit layout. The problem with them is that when they go, you have to track one down and replace the entire pack as opposed to replacing a single common component. At least this is how I understand it.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #11,936 of 19,138
The "STK pack" as it is commonly referred to is a large electronic component within the power amp circuit that tales the place of many power transistors in a discrete type of circuit layout. The problem with them is that when they go, you have to track one down and replace the entire pack as opposed to replacing a single common component. At least this is how I understand it.

Yes, that is correct.  They can be a pain to find depending on which one is installed.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #11,937 of 19,138

I will try to ressurect her, time permitting.  

I do love the older NAD stuff. They have a unique sound IME. To me they sound like what some peeps think tubes sound like - thick and syrupy ha.. Good luck with this one, I'll be watching 
popcorn.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #11,938 of 19,138
Thanks for all the feedback.  The hardest part is living in rural New England and not having immediate access to any hi-fi shops or a very active Craigslist.  This makes eBay almost a necessity and unfortunately Marantz receivers seem to command a premium.  Good to know about the Sherwood receivers.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #11,939 of 19,138
Thanks for all the feedback.  The hardest part is living in rural New England and not having immediate access to any hi-fi shops or a very active Craigslist.  This makes eBay almost a necessity and unfortunately Marantz receivers seem to command a premium.  Good to know about the Sherwood receivers.

Don't discount area flea markets, pawn shops, and if you can wait for it to warm up a bit yard sales. I ended up fixing the two receivers I picked up myself, but it's not a super complicated process. Simple soldering, with loads of information and people willing to help online. Good luck

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #11,940 of 19,138

And joining Audiokarma Barter Town can net you another good source to buy units at reasonable prices, compared to Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back