Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #11,867 of 19,143
  Discrete bridge rectifiers are not that uncommon, most Technics gear I own is built with discrete diodes in this application. There is increased use of "4 diodes in one piece" in lower end equipment - but seeing metal diodes is kind of rare.

In any case, it is the first thing to fly out chez moi - to be replaced by ultra fast and/or schottky type diodes, whichever can be accomodated given the voltage/current requirements.

No piece of gear can be better than its power supply ...

Exactly, I'm used to a mix of glass diodes and 4-in-1 diodes. This is my first brush with metal diodes - straight out of the 60's.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #11,868 of 19,143
  It is THE indespensable "toy" if you are a serious HSD ( Hollow State Device) lover.

I'm sure it is :) I had a little fling with tubes a few years back, and it used to bother me not knowing how much juice they had left! 

I noticed you mentioned your 'Technics gear' in your last post. I've just scored for a timewarp SU7300K for £50! Comes with everything as new - orginal box, schematic, manual and even original spare fuses. I'm pretty excited about this one as I'm becoming quite a fan of the old technics stuff. 

Heres a pic from the seller (could have went for the tuner as well but I've really no need and it would just be for decor)

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #11,869 of 19,143
  I'm sure it is :) I had a little fling with tubes a few years back, and it used to bother me not knowing how much juice they had left! 

I noticed you mentioned your 'Technics gear' in your last post. I've just scored for a timewarp SU7300K for £50! Comes with everything as new - orginal box, schematic, manual and even original spare fuses. I'm pretty excited about this one as I'm becoming quite a fan of the old technics stuff. 

Heres a pic from the seller (could have went for the tuner as well but I've really no need and it would just be for decor)

Technics used to produce GREAT gear. Your new SU7300K is a decent performer, but not (too much) to write  home about. In Technics world, that is - it is still a very good amp in world at large.

I have a full complement of the Professional Flat Series - as pictured here by a well known Technics afficionado:

You have to ignore the preamp on the top of the tower, it is most likely the SU A-6, from a couple of years later.
Second from the top is the centerpiece of the Professional Flat Series, the SU-9070 Preamplifier, followed by the SH-9020 VU/Peak Meter, then is ST-9030 Tuner, followed by the SH-9010 Parametric Equalizer, at the bottom are two SE-9060 Power Amplifiers, in this case most likely bridged to mono operation. Both him and me lack the most esoteric and rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth component from the series - the active crossover whose exact type designation escapes my memory at the moment. It was only available in Japan - at bust your balls price.

Professional Flat Series was direct competition to the Pioneer SPEC gear - and in many ways these are comparable. Trouble with matt dark brown Technics finish is that it is EXTREMELY scratch non-resistant - fingernail is all that it takes. Therefore, mint LOOKING samples from this series are far and between and fetch silly money when available. I settled for technically OK units, with sometimes heavy Damn The Looks cosmetics - so pics will not be posted.

My "tower" is completely overhauled, upgraded, etc - in other words, it received the full analogsurviver treatment.
It devoured well in excess of price originally paid for the "donors" in MUCH better than original electrical parts - not to mention labour, research and development. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #11,870 of 19,143
Great stuff bud and thanks for sharing that. I'll have to keep an eye out for the flat series. Must say they must be quite rare as I'm always checking out Technics gear here in the uk as they are always in abundance on ebay, but I don't think I've ever come across any of the your flats. I also have a SU V3 and it was one the of the first vintage amps I bought. I still use it on a daily basis because I just love the sound. Hate the looks (which are quite important for me), so it must sound good for me to use it ha. 

Hopefully I'll receive my amp this weekend and I'll post some impressions. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #11,871 of 19,143
  Great stuff bud and thanks for sharing that. I'll have to keep an eye out for the flat series. Must say they must be quite rare as I'm always checking out Technics gear here in the uk as they are always in abundance on ebay, but I don't think I've ever come across any of the your flats. I also have a SU V3 and it was one the of the first vintage amps I bought. I still use it on a daily basis because I just love the sound. Hate the looks (which are quite important for me), so it must sound good for me to use it ha. 

Hopefully I'll receive my amp this weekend and I'll post some impressions. 

Flats were $$$ - when they were new/current, I was 17, me in Yugoslavia, Technics in the West - and it was pricey even for the rich Westerners. Only trough time machine called ebay it was possible for me to lay hands on these eventually...

And why, on earth, do you think I check Technicsland - eer, I mean Deutschland (ebay.de) -  more than anything else ?

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #11,873 of 19,143

Love the understated Darth Vader look with a dash of bling from the contrasting silver knobs.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #11,874 of 19,143
Has anyone hear peeled the dial plastic off a marantz to change the lights? I'm wondering if it might be somewhat easier to do since the meter plastic housings are so brittle that they break but I'm scared to death to try this method. 

I guess however that one would obviously need to do this to change the Vellum. anyone know of a video on youtube where they show this?

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #11,875 of 19,143

And why, on earth, do you think I check Technicsland - eer, I mean Deutschland (ebay.de) -  more than anything else ?

I might have to start having the occasional peak there myself... 
beerchug.gif

Love the understated Darth Vader look with a dash of bling from the contrasting silver knobs.

beerchug.gif
 Hopefully should look nice in my silver and dark glass stand :) On top of my Technics SL P550 cd player :D 

Photo's will cometh as soon as the Dark one arrives!  

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #11,877 of 19,143
@Moody,  RE: your 500C.  What tubes are you running in the pre-amp ( the pair right behind the tuner string) and the phase inverters?

Currently in the 800C,  I've got late 50's Sylvania short black plates in the phase inverters and 60's Matsu****a with 45deg getters in the preamp.  Liking the sound now, but curious what you've discovered in your tube rolling.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #11,878 of 19,143
So this question probably sounds crazy but:  Is there any way to convert a Marantz 2245 which is ONLY rated for 120v @ 60hz to 240v @ 50hz?  There is no obvious input power switch.  Are the designs of the 2 power supplies completely different?  Were there places put on all PCB's to solder in the required components to make a conversion?   Thank you.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #11,879 of 19,143
  So this question probably sounds crazy but:  Is there any way to convert a Marantz 2245 which is ONLY rated for 120v @ 60hz to 240v @ 50hz?  There is no obvious input power switch.  Are the designs of the 2 power supplies completely different?  Were there places put on all PCB's to solder in the required components to make a conversion?   Thank you.

http://www.hifiengine.com/library/marantz/2245.shtml  

Please see which versions were available and whether it was (de)installing some jumpers with "universal" transformer or it was basically transformer change required.
I wish you the first variant ...

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #11,880 of 19,143
  Has anyone hear peeled the dial plastic off a marantz to change the lights? I'm wondering if it might be somewhat easier to do since the meter plastic housings are so brittle that they break but I'm scared to death to try this method. 

I guess however that one would obviously need to do this to change the Vellum. anyone know of a video on youtube where they show this?

It's easy to peel off, as the glue holding it in place is old and dried out. Just go slow so that you don't crack the tuner dial. As for the diffuser, I just used printer paper 
biggrin.gif
 Couldn't even tell the difference. If you're replacing the lamps with LEDs (which I HIGHLY suggest), there's no need to worry about heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back