Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #11,851 of 19,142
So I guess not much people own or have experience with the marantz 1152dc integrated amplifier.  Only one person comment on it so far.  I wonder if its worth it to get it over other integrated amp on the market right now.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #11,852 of 19,142
  I can pick up this system for cheap. - anyone know if its good or crap? I thought this would be the place to ask. Its actually for a friend who is interested

nec aus6000e

Never listened to them before.  It really depends on how much you're buying it for.  Let yourself determine the right price range for an experience and go from there.  I personally wouldn't spend an arm and a leg for them due to NEC is not really known for high quality, at lease to me…  

Who knows some won't like them, but you might.

TO ME?  I'd turn my head if it were $40+

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #11,853 of 19,142
  So I guess not much people own or have experience with the marantz 1152dc integrated amplifier.  Only one person comment on it so far.  I wonder if its worth it to get it over other integrated amp on the market right now.

It's a cool looking amp.  However, I have not listened to them.  I use to own a 2230 and it's very warm and clean sound hooked up with my cans but I just needed a little more power for my home speakers that's why I got rid of it.

If you like the way it sounds, who cares what anyone thinks or says, keep it or if you want to experience a vintage piece make sure that the price is to your likings.  

Apologies, I can't comment on the marantz 1152dc.  

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #11,854 of 19,142
I don't know how it sound that is why I am asking.  I have never touch vintage market before so I lack the knowledge of what is good.  I know a lot of people said these 70's int amp and receiver are good, but is it really better or equal to today over 1k integrated amp?  I could get the 1152 dc for a decent price.  I just want to know if its worth it to get it over buying something brand new.  I could get the 1152dc for $400 with serviced.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #11,858 of 19,142
Hmm, maybe power supply... 4 diodes... a bridge rectifier?

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #11,859 of 19,142
Feb 28, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #11,862 of 19,142
Really? Both my pioneers have discrete bridge rectifiers, although they use silicon body diodes. SX-434 and SX-680

Discrete bridge rectifiers are not that uncommon, most Technics gear I own is built with discrete diodes in this application. There is increased use of "4 diodes in one piece" in lower end equipment - but seeing metal diodes is kind of rare.

In any case, it is the first thing to fly out chez moi - to be replaced by ultra fast and/or schottky type diodes, whichever can be accomodated given the voltage/current requirements.

No piece of gear can be better than its power supply ...

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #11,863 of 19,142
Ayre Acoustics puts heavy emphasis on the PS.  Correctly asserting that is the cornerstone of any audio product.  Their products are very highly regarded.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #11,864 of 19,142
  Ayre Acoustics puts heavy emphasis on the PS.  Correctly asserting that is is the cornerstone of any audio product.  Their products are very highly regarded.

True.

Back in the day, PS Audio was offering an aftermarket upgrade for the inbuilt power supply of its superb PS Audio IV preamplifier. It simply replaced the normal for a preamplifier sized/spec'd transformer - with that of PS Audio's then top POWER amp.  

Reduced output resistance of the big transformer was audible the first second of listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back