Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #11,701 of 19,142
Yup $339 was a lot of money in 1971. Actually its a lot of money now! Good stuff 

Yes! Surprisingly good. I say that, because I could never understand folks' fascination with vintage Pioneer receivers. Now I get it.

I did some comparisons between the SX-626 the internal HP amp in an Oppo105, which is the most resolving amp I own. In terms of tonal balance, they're very similar. The Pioneer lacks some of the low-level detail, the spaciousness and the air. The sound isn't as distinctly layered and there's less sense of depth. BUT, these differences are relatively subtle in scale. I'm astounded by this, especially seeing how the 626 is a 42 year old piece with all original parts. The Pioneer is also much more apt to do its thing with a wide variety of cans, at least the ones I own, than my previous vintage favorite - a Kenwood KR-3130. The Kenwood and DT880/600 were fantastic fun playing together. Almost like watching something in Technicolor, but that was it for headphone synergy. Not with the Pioneer. Still can't believe it....

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #11,703 of 19,142
Hello everyone,

I am searching for a vintage amp for the He-6 (soon to be acquired).  I have been looking at the Pioneer sx-939, sx-828 and the Marantz 2270.  I have been reading up on audiokarma about them but they have only tried them on different speaker set-ups.  Can any of guys write a small review on which amps you have tried the He-6 on and how they sound? I am after good 3d soundstage, smooth presentation with good bass. 

Thanks

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #11,704 of 19,142
I can't answer all of your questions but the Marantz "house sound" is usually a bit darker than Pioneer, which seems to make the Marantz a better choice with HiFiman HE6/HE500 'phones to my ears. I believe the "slightly brighter" Pioneers are a better fit with the Audezes.

With that said, I really enjoy my HE500 and Marantz 2226B combo.

Just my opinion and I'm sure the vintage gurus will jump in soon and correct me.
smile.gif

YMMV.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #11,705 of 19,142

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #11,707 of 19,142
  The setup looks great! Stay away from those energy drinks though...they'll stunt your growth. 
tongue.gif

Thanks. I need to re-take some pictures that aren't so washed out and grainy though. I'm in my late 20's so I don't think I have any growth left.

Used a real camera this time instead of my Galaxy S4. These should look a bit better. The close up of the 750 I used macro mode.

I'm listening right now and the little 750 drives these things real nice. I never knew such little power (50-60 wpc) could do so much. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #11,708 of 19,142
  Thanks. I need to re-take some pictures that aren't so washed out and grainy though. I'm in my late 20's so I don't think I have any growth left.

Used a real camera this time instead of my Galaxy S4. These should look a bit better. The close up of the 750 I used macro mode.

I'm listening right now and the little 750 drives these things real nice. I never knew such little power (50-60 wpc) could do so much. 

i've had my SX750 for 6 months now still working and sounds great  with the KEF'S 104 and the Senns also no lack of bass there and your settings are very similar to mine best $100.00 amp i ever   had.                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #11,709 of 19,142
Even 26 "old school" watts drives my Paradigm Mini-Monitors (and HE500s) really well.
smile.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #11,710 of 19,142
  Even 26 "old school" watts drives my Paradigm Mini-Monitors (and HE500s) really well.
smile.gif

I use to have a 2230 and like it very much, very warm sounding. 

And you're right, these old school amps/receivers drives basically every headphone I have.  Oh, and let's not forget how nice they sound too.  I have 2 Sansui 8080's and they now are my "go to" source/power hooked up from my Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC.  

Happy listening!  
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #11,711 of 19,142
With more and more people getting on the bandwagon lately, it's occasionally been hard to tell this thread apart from the Head-Fi station thread!

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #11,713 of 19,142
Some of you may recall that a few weeks ago I got a good deal on an SX-1250 with the only real problem being a snapped off balance control.  So after I obtained a replacement control and a kind soul from this forum donated a knob (thanks Matt!) I decided to open her up.  Was very pleased to see that none of the filter caps had vented - they look real good!

Since I had to pull the preamp board to replace the balance control I figured I would do a recap of the preamp at the same time.  All new Panasonic caps!

Massive caps and transformer.

Here she is back together, shinned up, and all controls treated with DeoxIt.  Sounds fantastic!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back