Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #11,551 of 19,142
I have noticed more and more that if you don't jump immediately (i.e. within an hour of postings on CL) the more popular items (Marantz, Pioneer) are gone instantly.  And for insane prices too.  I missed out on two Marantz units (2220B, 2270) this past week as they were already sold when I called.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #11,553 of 19,142
  I'm seriously thinking of putting my restored sx1280 up for sale if anyone is interested. Local pickup only. Interest check at this point. 

Looking for a Mac instead?

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #11,554 of 19,142
Yes, I was smitten with the Mac I got to listen to when picking up the 1280 from the resto. I also need to liquidate a bit of cash. I anyone from this thread is interested I would offer at a fair price, just pm me. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #11,555 of 19,142
Even in my area, there are so many wanted ads for vintage receivers, amps, and speakers. I really hope this is a temporary fad. A beat up 1250, and I mean really beat up, popped up in my area for 650.00. So I tried to negotiate, but the seller wouldn't budge. He stated how these go for 1000.00 on ebay. I told him yes, but with ebay you get buyer protection. and you have 45 days to file a claim if there's any problems, and those are also pretty much mint. He still wouldn't budge. So I told him good luck with the sale thinking no way would it sell on craiglist for that amount of money. Well, three days later it was gone.
eek.gif
 I only considered it because an ebay seller had a mint one stripped down in parts because he didn't want to invest money getting it repaired. So I could have gotten all of the parts necessary to bring it back up to spec cosmetically. But at 650.00, I would have been better off just paying a 1000.00+ for a mint one off ebay.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #11,556 of 19,142
I am more and more thankful that I grabbed that 1250 a couple of weeks ago for $335.  As I have had time with it I have realized that other than the broken balance control and a chip out of the right side of the case - there is nothing wrong with it.  And it sounds great - I mean really good!

That said I just got a replacement balance control and will open it up soon - hopefully it won't find unexpected trouble.  My first step in the restore process will be to fix the balance control, DeoxIt all the controls and clean it up.  Over time though, I will do a full restore - but am in no rush thanks to the excellent condition it is in.  I am very fortunate.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #11,557 of 19,142
Yeah, like I said then, 335.00 would have been way too good a deal for a working 1250 to pass up. I've seen broken units go for more than that. I know one other person said he would have passed at that price, but maybe he didn't know how sought after, expensive, and great sounding these are.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #11,558 of 19,142
  Yeah, like I said then, 335.00 would have been way too good a deal for a working 1250 to pass up. I've seen broken units go for more than that. I know one other person said he would have passed at that price, but maybe he didn't know how sought after, expensive, and great sounding these are.

Your assessment at the time was right on.  Thanks Moody.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #11,559 of 19,142
  I'm seriously thinking of putting my restored sx1280 up for sale if anyone is interested. Local pickup only. Interest check at this point. 

I'm close enough that I'd make a weekend drive for it, but my hobby fund isn't in the range of SX1280 money right now.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #11,560 of 19,142
I've been to 2 HUGE flea markets and a thrift shop in the last week and saw NADA.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #11,561 of 19,142
If I were in the market for anymore vintage iron, I would probably only focus on Barter Town. Thanks to Skylab and moodyrn for giving it a great plug in this thread. People over there offer up great units at reasonable prices and their AK reputations are on the line. I can understand wanting to find a unit for cheap or not wanting to pay for shipping. However, my 2 purchases at Barter Town have been very fruitful. Just a couple days ago a Sansui G8000 sold for $400 plus shipping. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #11,562 of 19,142
Indeed, you can get GREAT deals on AK Barter Town. I am SO glad they require a paid membership to get access, and I hope they never stop that requirement. It keeps the poachers and flippers to a real minimum and means that you generally get good stuff at very fair prices.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #11,564 of 19,142
  If I were in the market for anymore vintage iron, I would probably only focus on Barter Town. Thanks to Skylab and moodyrn for giving it a great plug in this thread. People over there offer up great units at reasonable prices and their AK reputations are on the line. I can understand wanting to find a unit for cheap or not wanting to pay for shipping. However, my 2 purchases at Barter Town have been very fruitful. Just a couple days ago a Sansui G8000 sold for $400 plus shipping. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I'm another paid member over there as well and have bought a fantastic Pioneer SA7500MKII as well as numerous CD's and Vinyl.

Portland has been DRY on the vintage front on Craigslist................not that I need another unit but it sure is fun to look.  Not much to look at right now.................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back