Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 2, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #10,892 of 19,142
That sucks, sorry it keeps failing you. I had to bring my Spec 2 back and forth three times, and I only am 20 minutes away. Can't imagine being 2 hours away, I'd be kind of pissed. Have you called him yet? He does stand behind his work, I'll give him that.

eh... it's the transistor, when it's cold the left channel goes out and when its warmed up room temp its back to normal beautiful sound. I'm gonna eventually take electronics classes at the CC and learn to fix them myself and open a business fixing them :) 

I don't even know what transistors are compatible and the best ones. I suppose eventually I should make an Audio-Karma account and ask there. I want to re-cap the whole thing but I don't even have the proper tools. I did find an oscilloscope at an junk antique store yesterday in Klamath Falls though, didn't get it don't really know anything about it but it was neat to see one for once! 

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #10,893 of 19,142
  eh... it's the transistor, when it's cold the left channel goes out and when its warmed up room temp its back to normal beautiful sound. I'm gonna eventually take electronics classes at the CC and learn to fix them myself and open a business fixing them :) 

I don't even know what transistors are compatible and the best ones. I suppose eventually I should make an Audio-Karma account and ask there. I want to re-cap the whole thing but I don't even have the proper tools. I did find an oscilloscope at an junk antique store yesterday in Klamath Falls though, didn't get it don't really know anything about it but it was neat to see one for once! 

You could consider getting for parts unit and transfer a transistor over to your working one.  Also - Sunking on Ebay sometimes has good deals on test equipment.  I got a fully working Tektronix scope for $44 shipped from them!  Used it just this weekend to track down a bad capacitor.  You just have to be patient and wait for the deals.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #10,894 of 19,142
Christmas seems to be the entire month of December for me so far. I have had a number of dream pieces come up locally recently. I found (but didn't get) a SX-1010 and a set of JBL l100's, I also found (and got!) another pair of McIntosh XR-16 speakers. I have a pair already and absolutely love them. Then I stumbled upon this guy, also locally! Welcome to the family!

I was allowed to bring both of them home thanks to the lovely Mrs. She doesn't know I have one more receiver in the mail haha. It definitely needs a deoxit treatment, as the preamp controls are a bit static-y. After I get the G-9000DB cleaned up, I'll do a direct side by side A-B comparison to the 1980 on the two pairs of McIntosh XR-16 speakers to see which one gets to stay in the living room. Here's some more photos of the haul, with the 1980 sulking in the background again. I don't know what it's worried about. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #10,895 of 19,142
Wow, that's another beautiful monster!!!! Congrats.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #10,896 of 19,142
  I think I'm going to try my hand at recapping my 2230. Anyone had experience with an ebay recap kit? I was looking into this one, price seems reasonable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350745813558?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Don't bother with that kit.  I am in the process of recapping my 2230 at the moment with all audio caps.  Check my thread over on AK for a complete list, plus some updates to the list.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=559134

I am using, at a minimum Elna Silmic 2 caps, and still looking for the output coupling caps I want to use.  I would stay away from any kits...

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #10,897 of 19,142
After A/B my Sansui 881 and the Sony STR 6065, the 6065 is indeed clear and concise. But in a comparison to my 881, the bass with the 6065 is slightly less controlled and to my surprise the Sansui's power is much greater in a direct comparison. The 6065 is a keeper but on a different level than the 881....perhaps the 6065 has shown me just how much a GEM the 881 is.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #10,898 of 19,142
  Christmas seems to be the entire month of December for me so far. I have had a number of dream pieces come up locally recently. I found (but didn't get) a SX-1010 and a set of JBL l100's, I also found (and got!) another pair of McIntosh XR-16 speakers. I have a pair already and absolutely love them. Then I stumbled upon this guy, also locally! Welcome to the family!

Congrats! You must be some kind of negotiator... 'neaked both the kit AND the 
rolleyes.gif
 kaboodle into the home.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #10,899 of 19,142
  Don't bother with that kit.  I am in the process of recapping my 2230 at the moment with all audio caps.  Check my thread over on AK for a complete list, plus some updates to the list.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=559134

I am using, at a minimum Elna Silmic 2 caps, and still looking for the output coupling caps I want to use.  I would stay away from any kits...

Gotcha. I actually ordered some caps from Digikey, I'm going to start with the power supply and work from there. I'll PM you the caps I ordered.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #10,900 of 19,142

I was allowed to bring both of them home thanks to the lovely Mrs. She doesn't know I have one more receiver in the mail haha. It definitely needs a deoxit treatment, as the preamp controls are a bit static-y. After I get the G-9000DB cleaned up, I'll do a direct side by side A-B comparison to the 1980 on the two pairs of McIntosh XR-16 speakers to see which one gets to stay in the living room. Here's some more photos of the haul, with the 1980 sulking in the background again. I don't know what it's worried about. 

Gorgeous! 

After A/B my Sansui 881 and the Sony STR 6065, the 6065 is indeed clear and concise. But in a comparison to my 881, the bass with the 6065 is slightly less controlled and to my surprise the Sansui's power is much greater in a direct comparison. The 6065 is a keeper but on a different level than the 881....perhaps the 6065 has shown me just how much a GEM the 881 is.

Team Sansui!!! You could get 2 and a half 881's for the price of one 6065 round my neck of the woods.... Just goes to show! I wouldn't trade my 551 for anything (well... with in reason :) It's that seductive mid-70's Sansui sound. Unbeatable! Tel ye! 

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #10,901 of 19,142
Trav - You're probably right about the bass difference and power difference between the Sony and the Sansui. The Sansui is rated 63 W RMS while the Sony only has 50. The sony also will usually run about $100+/-20 to the sansui's range of $80-250. I found the bass from the 6065 to be very controlled through my McIntosh speakers, and really fantastic to listen to. I also like how it is overbuilt to the point where I could not make it clip. Everyone has their own ear, of course, but for me the 6065 is still my best value receiver out there. I maaaaay have it's big brother the 6120 in the mail soon, so we'll see if stepping up to $150 on a sony will cause me to weep at the sound quality. Looking at other reviews out there that do compare them, I'm thinking I will have a new "best-value" king and maybe even a new "best under $1K king."
Of course, they'll also get compared to the new 9000DB and the SX-1980 just to keep everyone modest. I'll keep everyone posted and I am VERY excited to make an audio day out of it.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #10,902 of 19,142
Pioneer SX-1250 Re-Cap and Restoration

So now I know what all the fuss is about with these beastly Pioneers
gs1000.gif

I bought this 1250 as an As-Is/Non-Working unit.  It was in very good cosmetic condition, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.  There was a water stain on the wood case and also a residue on the bottom plate.  It looks like someone spilled a cup of hot chocolate or orange juice right into one of the amp boards.
Surprisingly  all of the fuses were intact, so I turned it on with a dim bulb tester and when there was no short indicated, fired it up.  The lamps lit up, the relay clicked and I had music, but in one channel only.

I used MarktheFixer's BOM from August 2013 with a couple adjustments per Echowar's recommendation.  About 213 components were replaced and the work took about 40 hours.
Two boards were problematic.  About a third of the solder foils on the relay board partially disintegrated upon de-soldering.  I had to improvise by exposing copper traces or extending leads to nearby solder pads.  70% of the solder joints in the stabilizer board were bad (not surprising considering how hot the right side gets).  All of the solder joints were either replaced or re-flowed.  This took some time since I examined each joint at least 5 times at different angles with a 4x loupe.
The other boards were easy to work with and as everyone notices, the build quality is absolutely top notch.

Not included in the 40 hours of work time was 5 hours spent troubleshooting a ground-related hum.  I looked for shorts in ground wires, soldered sketchy looking wire-wrapped pins, and sanded oxidation from ground-chassis connections.  Nothing worked... until I changed the source.  Bingo!  It was the DAC.

The work is not finished however, there is a mild hiss in the pre-amp.  When the tone defeat switch is engaged the background is dead quiet.  I suspect there are a few bad resistors.  I measured some and quite a few were out of spec, but it's hard to know for sure unless the resistor is removed from the circuit.  So, I will replace all of the carbon film resistors in the two main pre-amp boards with 1% metal films and also upgrade the film caps.  The BOM was also short 2 transistors and 1 electrolytic which will have to be replaced.  A heatsink will also be added to the regulators on the stabilizer board, an Echowars recommendation.

I bought the unit for $250 + $95 shipping and parts were $270, so my cost so far is $615.

So how does it sound?
Well, I had my HE-4 listed for sale, but after I took a short listen, I ended the listing.  I think it was Matt who said in a previous post that the HE-4 only came alive after it was hooked up to some massive raw power.  I'd agree completely.  It sounds so much better than out of the Marantz 2270 (HPO).
Slightly warm, detailed, big soundstage and seemingly unlimited power on tap

So far the only negative is that my back hurt for 2 days after carrying it from my office to the living room
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #10,904 of 19,142
AudioKarma has a number of parts lists (BOMs) and gurus expert in Pioneer restoration.  It's important to look for the updated BOMs and search AK using google not their search function.

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #10,905 of 19,142
That is truly awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back