Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 28, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #12,437 of 19,136
The Headphone Out on my mid 90's Pioneer Elite VSX-79 sounds great and with hardly any hiss at all using 32-ohm headphones (Pioneer SE-A1000's).  Note that an extreme volume setting is needed to actually hear said hiss. If I didn't already have a dedicated headphone amp, I could use this beast as one and not be sorry.

Funny, the Pioneer receiver I sold to my Brother (that the Elite replaced), a VSX-D601 from the same years, had a lot of hiss in the headphone output and didn't sound anywhere near as good.  I'm not exactly sure what they did differently with the 'Elite' series, but it's a much warmer and better sound overall - especially with my old Realistic Mach Ones. 
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #12,438 of 19,136
Oh yay marantz LED bi-pins show up in an ebay search now! http://www.ebay.com/itm/FISHER-MARANTZ-KENWOOD-PIONEER-SANSUI-ONKYO-JVC-HARMON-KARDON-BI-PIN-LED-LAMP-/281308355902?pt=Lamps_US&var=&hash=item417f48dd3e

Oh and more 2220B's are popping up. April must really be the month for 2220B's sheesh! I have a mint one that was new in box even had plastic on the inner plastic face, I don't want another one though haha 

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #12,439 of 19,136
smiley_thumb.gif
 I got your 7 year cycle right here! Some core hipsters will lose the ability to earn their present income, displaced by a new group of income earners making money off the next big thing and hipsters will downsize and grow tired of lugging that iron around and listings will pop up like jack-in-the-box! 
wink_face.gif

May 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #12,441 of 19,136
Found a local guy (the lingerie/pole dancing training shop guy if you recall an earlier post) who let me know he had the following available. He owed me a receiver since the Yamaha R700 he sold me would not lock onto FM stations. First attempt was a Toshiba 775 which also had FM problems. He has a Toshiba 7150 that is mint for sale (Google it) but wants $750 for it and wouldn't give it to me as a replacement for the Yammie (can't blame me for trying)! Anyway, this Hitachi SR-804 has 50wpc and has a booster shot that makes this actually 100 WPC. Class G amplifier which is interesting stuff.

May 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #12,442 of 19,136
Just picked up a 2220B a few weeks ago. Installed LEDs the other day. I like it, sounds nice.

Anymore impressions on the amp? Someone here is selling the non B version for 200€. Never owned a vintage receiver so not sure what to expect, would like to use it with the HE-500.

May 1, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #12,444 of 19,136
Anymore impressions on the amp? Someone here is selling the non B version for 200€. Never owned a vintage receiver so not sure what to expect, would like to use it with the HE-500.

I have the HE-500 and the 2220B sounds good with it. It's one of my better ones with that headphone that and the 4270. The 2220 should sound great with the HE-500 too. 

May 1, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #12,445 of 19,136
Found a local guy (the lingerie/pole dancing training shop guy if you recall an earlier post) who let me know he had the following available. He owed me a receiver since the Yamaha R700 he sold me would not lock onto FM stations. First attempt was a Toshiba 775 which also had FM problems. He has a Toshiba 7150 that is mint for sale (Google it) but wants $750 for it and wouldn't give it to me as a replacement for the Yammie (can't blame me for trying)! Anyway, this Hitachi SR-804 has 50wpc and has a booster shot that makes this actually 100 WPC. Class G amplifier which is interesting stuff.

]

I've always been intrigued by the Hitachi receivers. Did you get it? Let us know what you think!

May 2, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #12,446 of 19,136
So I bought another NAD amp, this time a recapped 3225PE for $96 off ebay, I still think that's a screaming value. Anyway, this one's impressive too; huge soundstage, silent, with amazing dynamics, and perhaps ~1° pitched towards warm. IOW, practically identical to the 3020a. What an OUTRAGEOUS deal in amps these are, they easily eclipse dedicated HP amps priced <$1500, if not more. I'm giving this one to my mechanic for his budding HP collection (Audeze LCD-XC and Grado RS2) to replace his Schiit Magni (it's borrowed from me, so it's really mine).

Edit:

Public Safety Announcement! Never, ever, turn Loudness ON while you're wearing headphones. :xf_eek: One, it sounds nasty (loud hiss), and two, because there's a "pop" that probably isn't good for your ears (you can't hear it through speakers, but you sure can w/ headphones).

May 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #12,448 of 19,136
So I bought another NAD amp, this time a recapped 3225PE for $96 off ebay, I still think that's a screaming value. Anyway, this one's impressive too; huge soundstage, silent, with amazing dynamics, and perhaps ~1° pitched towards warm. IOW, practically identical to the 3020a. What an OUTRAGEOUS deal in amps these are, they easily eclipse dedicated HP amps priced <$1500, if not more. I'm giving this one to my mechanic for his budding HP collection (Audeze LCD-XC and Grado RS2) to replace his Schiit Magni (it's borrowed from me, so it's really mine).

Edit:

Public Safety Announcement! Never, ever, turn Loudness ON while you're wearing headphones.
redface.gif
One, it sounds nasty (loud hiss), and two, because there's a "pop" that probably isn't good for your ears (you can't hear it through speakers, but you sure can w/ headphones).

I wonder how mine stacks up to that and should I be jealous and hunt one down. I like the NAD sound. mine has a black background though the mids arent foward like i like its pretty balanced sounding but almost dark.

May 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #12,449 of 19,136
Another great buy Magick Man.

@grizzlybeast In my experience all of the early NAD's have a very similar sound - slightly dark and smooth. Thats why I use the 'chocolatey' metaphor. The very early models are a little more authoritative from the mids down and warmer throughout the FR. The later (from mid 80's) are a little brighter up top but also seem a little softer sounding. The later models seem to have more depth in the mids (probably because of the brighter top) and are a great match with the HD800's imo. But these are very subtle differences from what is basically the same sound signature. If I can try and be objective here I'd say that the earlier models are the more high end sounding, this is simply based on the control of the bass freq's.    

But they are not forward sounding at all. More refined (compared to dry/neutral sounding amps). I probably wouldn't pair Audeze or hd650 with one because you can have too much refinement.   

For me they are the next best thing to a good tube amp (because I can't afford one ha). They don't sound stereotypically transistor based. 

May 2, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #12,450 of 19,136

Hey Oregonian!

give it a shot. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have two Hitachi integrateds. A 1972 IA1000 which is very good sounding in a classic 70's way, and has an excellent phono stage with M/C capability. The other is a later generation HA7700 MOS-FET design that blows me  away sometimes for how clean it and its rich powerful bass. Also a good phono stage with MC and  adjustable loading for MM side (very unusual). I think Hitachi stuff is very good and very "under the radar".

Is that pole dancer trainer located off of Barbur blvd?

Greetings from the heart of PSU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back