Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #11,971 of 19,145

Good for you my friend!  So it's got the looks and the legs................what more could you ask?  Enjoy it! 

beerchug.gif
 Yup its gonna be hard for me to top this one. But its still early days for me and vintage though...

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #11,972 of 19,145

Haha, that was the perfect graphic for the situation. It made me scratch my head, since this shop is well known locally for vintage receiver repair. Somebody must've just not been thinking that day, or trying out a new glue.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #11,974 of 19,145
Well, I am down right giddy. I have had some major changes to my system. The 1980 is still the anchor, but the MR-78 tuner has joined the party as the new FM expert. I also added a distribution amp (Key Digital KD-HMDI2X4P) so I could put my tv, cable, and dvd player hdmi/digital/optical inputs in as L/R inputs. It has 4 outputs, so I can A/B amps, as well as speakers, without changing input cables. The tuner and aux inputs are still direct coupled to prevent any noise on what I'd consider to be the "important" inputs.
You might also see the XR-250 speakers. I am really thrilled to have found a pair of these. They do sound great, despite my mediocre room setup. My initial impression is that they have fantastic bass. They don't need "loudness" to sound good, just a more or less flat amp (maybe they need ~3db of midrange added, hard to say yet). They are certainly not very efficient. I think they're rated at 84 dB of sensitivity compared to average speakers that will do more like 90+ at 1 watt. I don't mind - I just turn it up a bit more and get a better show from the dancing VU meters! 
atsmile.gif

They are rated for a recommended 250 W/300 W max  per channel amp, so they are really well suited for this application (270 max continuous/channel). I think I'm going to like these a LOT. I certainly like looking at them.

It's hard to say when to call it quits on collecting, but this is certainly going to be hard to top.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #11,975 of 19,145
Super cool, Phoenix!

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #11,977 of 19,145
^^ what they said^^^ lovely jubbly PhoenixG! 

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #11,978 of 19,145
Mar 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #11,979 of 19,145
  When you get those noises, select an input that has no sound and turn the volume control quickly up and down. Then try the input again that you have music playing. Find out if the noise has gone. This will tell you if the volume control needs cleaning with dioxit or any of those electronic cleaning fluids. If it isn't that then you are looking at a lot more diagnostic work.

It doesn't alway fix it but usually if I turn it off or wait it through it does return to normal.  The pre out actually make my subwoofer goes crazy sometimes.  There is also a small buzzing noise when the sound is low that never goes away.  This is becoming more of a hassle than I thought.  I never use deoxit before so I don't know what really to do with it.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #11,980 of 19,145
congrats on the 7300k!  very attractive-looking piece.  i've been snagging some pics from this thread to use as my screenshot on my laptop, and i went ahead and snagged this one, too.

i think it's great that this vintage gear represented here on this thread  is being appreciated and enjoyed.

i was able to pick up a carver cm-1090 recently (which had a few issues that the owner had no idea how to repair, and didn't know of a repair shop).  luckily, i already knew of a good repair shop, since i had seen some carver gear in this shop months before getting this carver piece.  granted, this particular model isn't "the last word", or the most sought-after carver amp from that era, since other models that were made at about the same time fetch a higher selling price, or get better reviews overall.  but, i'm really enjoying this integrated.  it has a fairly "refined" sound (a bit of tube quality-sound) that i would use to describe it (at least for a solid-state piece).

the real trick these days, is if you do come across a nice older piece, then you're left finding someone willing and able to work on it and service it (by somebody who really knows what they're doing).  these guys are getting harder and harder to find.  it was easier back in the 70's to find repair shops that worked on stuff when a lot of young people were into "hi-fi" and would sit and listen to music, and invite people over to hear "their new album."    not so much anymore.  on both counts.

i was lucky on my carver.  the repair tech was really good, and he was already experienced working on carver gear and he was able to replace the parts that i needed with oem pieces.

that's the trick these days with this older gear, though.  finding good quality replacement parts, then finding somebody qualified to troubleshoot difficulties if and when problems come up.  

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #11,981 of 19,145
This is my dad's system in his bedroom. SA-9500II, TX-8500II, CT-F900, SG-9800 and PL-630

Here is what he has collecting dust in his garage. Trying to convince him to give me the Sansui... It deserves better than garage duty lol!

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #11,983 of 19,145

Welcome and congrats on the Carver! Great amps (havent heard one myself but have read many good things about them.) You are right about finding a good repair Tech these days. Hard to find. 

This is my dad's system in his bedroom. SA-9500II, TX-8500II, CT-F900, SG-9800 and PL-630

Here is what he has collecting dust in his garage. Trying to convince him to give me the Sansui... It deserves better than garage duty lol!

Your Dad has some fantastic gear there buddy. Clean his car and then tell him that your hifi has broken... And 'does he have anything in the garage could tide you over for now' :D 

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #11,984 of 19,145
That is some amazing garage gear!

I picked up a Sony STR-7035 for the shop this weekend. It sounds good, but after the 1250/1980 it is hard not to discriminate. I can't wait to get my 2230 recap completed!

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #11,985 of 19,145

Looking at the Spec rack..........it's missing an AMP!?!? What is driving it? Never mind, it's not a Spec 1 preamp I was seeing. Nice!

Love the garage system. I have both a Fisher 800C driving TV audio system and a Yamaha R700 for audio in mine...........we all cray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back