Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #9,796 of 19,145
I am guessing this guy's feedback rating is not very good?

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #9,797 of 19,145
  Would something like the Harmon Kardon 630 be audibly better than say, the FiiO E9K for a headphone like the Mad Dog?  Would it work well with a low impedance, low sensitivity headphone, or would it blow the drivers and my eardrums?

I don't know much about vintage receivers, but they seem to put out an insane amount of power for almost nothing and have ridiculous build quality.

Plug in the Mad Dog to the jack marked "Phones" like shown below and enjoy!
It will only blow your eardrums if you turn the volume too high - always do that slowly.
Note that it is over 40 years old, so some internal electronic components, such as capacitors, may be too old to produce their original specifications.  So, it may or may not sound as good as originally designed...

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #9,799 of 19,145
Had a 430 for a while that had excellent sound.  No Mad Dogs to try on it at the time though.

Plug in the Mad Dog to the jack marked "Phones" like shown below and enjoy!
It will only blow your eardrums if you turn the volume too high - always do that slowly.
Note that it is over 40 years old, so some internal electronic components, such as capacitors, may be too old to produce their original specifications.  So, it may or may not sound as good as originally designed...

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #9,800 of 19,145
Just to clarify, the Mad Dog headphones did not exist the last time I heard one of those Harmon Kardons in that 1972 receiver series.
It would not be possible to say whether that would be a good pairing in advance of just trying it.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #9,801 of 19,145
  He had a 99.6 mostly from sellers not buyers. His lone negative feedback came from another buyer who claimed he didn't received what was advertised. Looks like he willing to say whatever just to try to milk every penny he can.

I can't see any harm in naming and shaming him. He's clearly one to avoid and peeps like him are very bad for the community. 

They aren't in it for any love of the equipment or respect for the collectors, just for money.. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #9,802 of 19,145
It is also possible to have a bad experience as a seller.  I frequently refurbish vintage receivers and sell on Ebay.  Just a month or so ago someone bought a unit from me and out of the blue left negative feedback saying one channel was out (I always add a note to my posts asking the buyer to contact me before leaving negative feedback so I can fix the problem).   I knew the unit was working perfectly when I shipped it.   About an hour later he sent me a note saying he had made a mistake in connecting one of the speakers and it was working as described.  I made multiple efforts to ask him to contact Ebay and correct his feedback and got no reply's.  It took several days of wrangling with Ebay, but they read the email he sent saying it was working and removed the negative feedback for me.  A pain, but I am back to 100% positive now.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #9,803 of 19,145
Yeah I always try and keep contact via email throughout the whole sale process. I find it helps if there are any problems because I like to think it makes me more approachable for any issues. Obviously this is easier to do if you only sell every now and then. But I actually enjoy the banter because we are in the same hobby.

I've had one bad buyer over the 8 years I've been selling on the bay. Claimed the item was defective 2 weeks after he received it..... They were brand new Westone 2's that I sold because I didn't like them. Thus to say I refused to give the refund and he gave me bad feedback. Really annoying, but if everyone was nice and sincere... It would be a perfect world. But it isn't. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #9,804 of 19,145
  It is also possible to have a bad experience as a seller.  I frequently refurbish vintage receivers and sell on Ebay.  Just a month or so ago someone bought a unit from me and out of the blue left negative feedback saying one channel was out (I always add a note to my posts asking the buyer to contact me before leaving negative feedback so I can fix the problem).   I knew the unit was working perfectly when I shipped it.   About an hour later he sent me a note saying he had made a mistake in connecting one of the speakers and it was working as described.  I made multiple efforts to ask him to contact Ebay and correct his feedback and got no reply's.  It took several days of wrangling with Ebay, but they read the email he sent saying it was working and removed the negative feedback for me.  A pain, but I am back to 100% positive now.

Lol the same thing happen to me when I sold...wait for it....a marantz 2325 lol. What a coincidence. The buyer thankfully later found a speaker switcher he was using was faulty. He later apologized and had feedback removed. Which is why I always contact the seller first to give them evey opportunity to resolve any problems, just like I did in this situation.

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #9,805 of 19,145
Great story!  I actually find waiting for feedback a little nerve racking.  You know the item was good when you shipped it but wonder in the back of your mind if something happened during transit. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #9,808 of 19,145

I had the same thing happen - I had to part out a set of speakers that I couldn't find replacement drivers for (so I couldn't complete a restoration... ). I sold a mismatched pair of the tweeters and I got negative feedback out of the blue that they sounded different. No prior contact, nothing. Hint - I sold them as a pair because they had different part numbers. It was literally in the listing title and in the description. He said it wasn't as described. I contacted him and offered to make it right. I gave him a partial refund because my 100% seller rating is more important to me than being right, but I was really upset about it. I wish he had contacted me first. I did learn that there is a mechanism for ebay to ask them to change their feedback. He was satisfied, if only because he basically got it for free.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #9,809 of 19,145
Anyone have any experience with a Kenwood KR-11000GX or Pioneer SA-8800? Both just popped up near me for not a lot.

Either or! 
tongue_smile.gif

Condition, price etc..

If it was me, it would be the Pioneer...

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #9,810 of 19,145
Either or! :tongue_smile:

Condition, price etc..

If it was me, it would be the Pioneer...

Both are in good condition, the kr-11000 has even had its cabinet wood refinished. Both have had deoxit treatments. Don't think either has been recapped though.

Purely going by specs, the Kenwood is more powerful. For what it's worth.

And for the life of me I can't remember the SA amp to SX receiver numbering scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back