Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #9,001 of 19,145
I hope the Marantz 4400 I want to get will still be available by the 21st :/ though with my luck some jerk will take it. That's what happened to the 2238B I wanted on Craigslist. It was on there for two months and when I get enough money? Someone got it the day before. Funny huh? >___> seems its always the case. Anyone else have this nasty luck? Well I suppose it happens to everyone...

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #9,002 of 19,145
Quote:
I would love to hear a whole Spec setup someday. I've never even seen them in the flesh.

I'm sorry but I'm relatively new to all this. Can someone educate or link me to the fabled spec setup?

Also I've found a guy in Tennessee to help with the recap on my 1280. He's very reasonable priced...I'll have to drive it to him and pick it up. Not too much to ask for an end game setup.  Thanks to Moody and Trav on that. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #9,003 of 19,145
I auditioned a SX-1050 & SA-9500II last night and although they sounded nice I didn't believe they were better than the SX-750 I have :/

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #9,004 of 19,145
What were you pushing them down the street with?
popcorn.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #9,005 of 19,145
Quote:

I'm sorry but I'm relatively new to all this. Can someone educate or link me to the fabled spec setup?

The Spec series I am no knowledge expert on other than owning a system.   It has a Spec 1 preamp and Spec 2 amp (250 wpc) as part of the system which has a TX9500II tuner, SG-9500 equalizer, CT-F1000 cassette tape deck, all separates (the tuner has no amp) feeding into the preamp which feeds the amp which is a monster (55 lbs).   I also feed it with a turntable, a CD player and an iPod/iPhone.  Pic of it below................

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #9,006 of 19,145
Stop on by.  You are cordially invited next time you're in Portland, Oregon.  Really. 

Thanks!!! You never know...I do travel a lot for work! And your Spec rack looks great and sounds awesome I'm sure.

The one part of Spec stuff I have heard are the tape decks...I own a CT-F1000, which is a super nice cassette deck, and the RT-707 reel deck I have is also considered part of the Spec line. What I haven't ever heard are the preamp and amp.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #9,007 of 19,145
Quote:
Thanks!!! You never know...I do travel a lot for work! And your Spec rack looks great and sounds awesome I'm sure.

The one part of Spec stuff I have heard are the tape decks...I own a CT-F1000, which is a super nice cassette deck, and the RT-707 reel deck I have is also considered part of the Spec line. What I haven't ever heard are the preamp and amp.

My CT-F1000 has been dead since I bought the system (much like the one you sold on Audiokarma) and have yet to get it to my tech for repairs.  I likely would use it rarely but would like to get it fixed just to try it out. 

By the way, he has a RT-707 for sale for $345.............soooooooooooooooo tempting.  It has the rack mounts so it would drop nicely into mine if I decide to go reel to reel instead of cassette.  First world problems I think the term is. 

I'm serious - if you're ever out this way on biz let me know.  Would love to meet you and talk vintage. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #9,009 of 19,145
The RT-707 generally doesn't command a high price because there are still a lot of working ones around. It was an incredibly popular deck that was in continuous production for a fairly long time, and since it was direct drive and had no belts to rot, it's highly reliable and almost any RT-707 that wasn't abused is likely to work.

The real question is the condition of the heads. If the heads are not worn, the 707 is also a terrific sounding deck.

A working 707 with good heads will typically sell for $300-400. If it is in mint cosmetic condition, maybe as high as $450 tops. I bought a very pretty one that was completely recapped from Black Swamp Audio for $500. I also bought one locally for $250 that looks and sounds great. If you find one in good condition for $200, you scored.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #9,010 of 19,145
There isn't a market for cassette decks at all (other than Dragons).   (I know the RT-707 of the previous post is a reel, I was referring to the earlier post.)

I had a Nakamichi 480Z, with original wired remote control and original cleaning kit, and serviced, on ebay for three separate weeks for $99 incl free shipping and no bids.  (The transport on that unit is much better than any non-Nak cassette deck.)  I ended up giving it away locally...

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #9,011 of 19,145
So after reading Matt's post on the various amps that he tried with the Alpha Dogs, it occurred to me to check the schematics on the 9090db and the SX-1280 to see what they used for the headphone jack.  So,

AU-417:

Resistors in series with L and R hot leads - marked 220(2)

schematic has same speakers power rating written on it as found in specs, and also characterizes phones as "80mw"

9090db:

Resistors in series with L and R hot leads - marked 220(5)

schematic has same speakers power rating written on it as found in specs, but does not mention phones power rating
(8080 which was on same page, uses same 220 resistors)

SX-1280:

Resistors in series with L and R hot leads - marked 150(3w)

schematic says " 40V/8 ohm " next to speaker jack, and "143mV/8 ohm  SP at 1W" next to headphone jack

SX-1010 (because I noticed Moodyrn earlier stated " The way it [SX-1010] effortlessly drove the he-6 out of the headphone out was simply amazing."):

Resistors in series with L and R hot leads - marked 150

schematic says " 30.5V/8 ohm " next to speaker jack, and "143mV/8 ohm  AT SP. OUTPUT 1W" next to headphone jack (interesting the different grammar)

Matt - Based on the fact that the AU-417 has the same resistors in series as the 9090DB, and that the SX-1280 resistors are not too much smaller, my reading of your "reviews" is that there is unlikely to be any sound quality benefit to replacing the resistors with lower values.  Do you agree ?

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #9,012 of 19,145
Quote:
The Spec series I am no knowledge expert on other than owning a system.   It has a Spec 1 preamp and Spec 2 amp (250 wpc) as part of the system which has a TX9500II tuner, SG-9500 equalizer, CT-F1000 cassette tape deck, all separates (the tuner has no amp) feeding into the preamp which feeds the amp which is a monster (55 lbs).   I also feed it with a turntable, a CD player and an iPod/iPhone.  Pic of it below................

WOW

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #9,013 of 19,145
hello everyone, i have a pioneer sx-6 receiver with a very audible hum. the hum is in the right ear only up to volume 6 (this has a push button volume control) then at 7 both ears get it. has anyone experienced this before and if so what do you suggest to repair it? thanks in advance :)

i forgot to mention, this unit only has 2 wire AC power with no ground. so i think a ground loop is out of the question

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #9,014 of 19,145
Anybody know what kind of wattage or Mili-wattage the SX750 puts out the headphone jack? 

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #9,015 of 19,145
Quote:
There isn't a market for cassette decks at all (other than Dragons).   (I know the RT-707 of the previous post is a reel, I was referring to the earlier post.)

I had a Nakamichi 480Z, with original wired remote control and original cleaning kit, and serviced, on ebay for three separate weeks for $99 incl free shipping and no bids.  (The transport on that unit is much better than any non-Nak cassette deck.)  I ended up giving it away locally...

I tend to disagree - but can understand your opinion. 

Nakamichi decks enjoy cult following - for a reason. Yet it is hardly known, particularly in the US, that Technics' last series of serious decks, RS-AZ 6 and RS-AZ 7, belong to a very select and distinguished group of cassette decks, in some parameters bettering Naka, And if Naka fanboys start rattling with Dragons - did they ever see Technics top deck, the only cassette deck I know of to consist of two boxes, mechanics and electronics separately, each weighing a ton ?

RS-AZ series was to my knowledge never available in US. It is one of the last if not actually THE last cassette deck design - it came out in 1996. 
I did not hear a 1000 or Dragon - but what comes out of Technics RS AZ series of decks is no slouch compared to - anything. The transport could (and should, given the quality in every other department ) be better - but even as it was/is, this is one mightily fine deck.

I recently sold one of my NOS RS-AZ 6 decks - only because I needed $. In terms of ease of sale - one can hardly have a piece of audio equipment that sounds so superiur to its peers as this deck does, selling almost itself ( provided it gets some help like wiring it into the system ). It does not "sound" like a cassete deck at all - no loss of bass, no appreciable loss of treble, dynamic range is phenomenal - and what is rare in cassette world, it has stage width and depth just a notch worse than the source tape was made from - most turntables can not match that kind of performance. The most shocking thing - it pulls this feat even with factory pre recorded tapes !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back