Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #8,446 of 19,145
Quote:
That Sansui is gorgeous........

When I wheeled the SX-D7000 & G-22000 into the lobby on the hotel gurney, a couple checking in along with the front-desk clerk asked if I was in a band. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #8,448 of 19,145
Quote:

Hotel side with the mobile hook-up! iPod>Sansui G-22000>HD650. 

DSLR pix to follow soon, pc usb driver difficulties. iPhone pix for now...

Also, Line-Out to RCA Din connector is packed away; Headphone Out > RCA > AUX IN has a bit lower resolution.

I think Audio specialties in Portland, OR had one of these. it was HUGE.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #8,451 of 19,145
Due to the influence of this thread on me, you guys don't know how spastic I have gone over the past week looking on ebay everyday for vintage integrated amp's. Skipping out the entire Marantz stuff all together (as I find them too warm and glossed over detail sounding), what particular Sansui, Luxman or Sony amplifiers should I look for? I've read that the AU series of the Sansui is a good entry into the Sansui clean sound.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #8,452 of 19,145
Don't forget Sherwood, very underrated. Built like tanks with huge power supplies.
Currently getting a vintage Onkyo 7090 with a dual mono power supply 800w and the Sherwood AD260B next week with a 600w power supply. Melbourne is rife with vintage deals.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #8,453 of 19,145
I'm assuming 70's era for the Sherwoods? Alot of Sherwood stuff was pretty crap and basic. I'm looking for an amp that has Big caps and heatsinks and maybe dual trafos or Big enclosed shielded torodials. Melb does have lots of vintage stuff, but the good stuff have high commanding prices.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #8,454 of 19,145
Quote:
I'm assuming 70's era for the Sherwoods? Alot of Sherwood stuff was pretty crap and basic. I'm looking for an amp that has Big caps and heatsinks and maybe dual trafos or Big enclosed shielded torodials. Melb does have lots of vintage stuff, but the good stuff have high commanding prices.

Early to mid 70s is what you want.  The S-7000 series.  Big power supplies and the like.  After that period things went downhill fast.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #8,457 of 19,145
Yeah, I've always had good experiences with old Sherwood stuff (up to about 1978, if my memory of build dates on my equipment serves me correctly). A decade later, though, they'd fallen incredibly hard.

An update on my Dynaco disaster is due now, I think. I'd been delaying because I wanted my ST-120 back from the shop, but the pace of business is pretty slow and parts are being ordered this week.

Though that's painful, I would no longer classify my purchases as disastrous. I'm significantly enjoying the PAT-4 as a receiver and headphone amp with both the Mad Dog and PS1000, though the T5p doesn't jive so well. There is some distortion in the bass that needs to be remedied with a mod, but it only comes out every once in awhile.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #8,458 of 19,145
Quote:
Due to the influence of this thread on me, you guys don't know how spastic I have gone over the past week looking on ebay everyday for vintage integrated amp's. Skipping out the entire Marantz stuff all together (as I find them too warm and glossed over detail sounding), what particular Sansui, Luxman or Sony amplifiers should I look for? I've read that the AU series of the Sansui is a good entry into the Sansui clean sound.

Late 70's Kenwood (KA-5700 I have two of and the KA-7100 series is excellent as well) and Pioneer should be in the mix as well.  Realistic (Radio Shack) sound good as well (I have a STA-64B in my office at work).  Sherwood, yes...............

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #8,459 of 19,145
I don't really understand the hype over vintage Kenwood stuff. It's always sounded...lazy to me. Way too warm, not at all resolving...

Maybe I just haven't heard the right gear.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #8,460 of 19,145
Quote:
I don't really understand the hype over vintage Kenwood stuff. It's always sounded...lazy to me. Way too warm, not at all resolving...

Maybe I just haven't heard the right gear.

My fully recapped Kenwood KA 8100 is an amazing amp. Super impactful, neutral, detailed, not warm but not sterile. I can't stop listening. It's totally my thing. And I own Pioneer SX1010, Pioneer SX1080, Pioneer SA9800, Marantz 2285b, Kenwood KA 907.

Yep, I love me some Kenwood
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back