Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #8,416 of 19,145
So i picked up the Luxman R-1120 today.  It was actually meewoo's!  So besides getting a beatiful vintage receiver I had an opportunity to meet a fellow Head-Fier.

All in all. It's been a great day.

No impressions yet as i am just hooking it up now.  Impressions and pics to follow.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #8,417 of 19,145

Quote:
For me personally, the short answer is yes the vintage amps are better. My Sansui 9090db sounds as good or better than any hp amp that I've owned and I've owned quite a few. 
wink.gif

Quote:
But as far a sound quality goes, my vintage amps are far superior in regards to dynamics, quality bass and smoothness than any dedicated hp amp I've tried. I've owned a couple of Schitt amps and I think they are very good. But they do have a certain sound. Its clinical and very neutral. This may well be your bag, but I personally prefer a bit more warmth. Also there is the money factor, for the price of a Magni you could pick up a lower end Pioneer for e'g. And believe me there will no comparison! 

That's very interesting to hear. I'll [size=small]definitely [/size]look into them some more if these vintage amps are as good or superior to modern headphone amps. 

Quote:
Mostly, and this is generalizing big time, a silver faced amp or receiver from any of the names you read in the last few pages of this thread are safe. Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz, Akai, Sherwood, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sansui to name a few.

Those are a lot different brands to try out. From all those brands, I'm assuming each have different models/series? Are there any certain series/models or amp specifications I should be looking at?

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #8,418 of 19,145
Quote:
So i picked up the Luxman R-1120 today.  It was actually meewoo's!  So besides getting a beatiful vintage receiver I had an opportunity to meet a fellow Head-Fier.

All in all. It's been a great day.

No impressions yet as i am just hooking it up now.  Impressions and pics to follow.

Reading of this account made it a great day as well... congrats!

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #8,419 of 19,145
I have been out of town for about a week, and before I left had to drop off my Spec 2 amp with my local guru to trace down a pesky noise issue..............after about 10 minutes of use, the left channel was getting scratchy and basically sounding horrible.  This was the second time in the shop for this...............he said, "well, if I can't fix it I'll refund your money"................leaving me to say, "what do you mean if you can't fix it????".  He smiles and says, "it happens". 

Well, I got a call mid-week................"good news.  It was a cracked solder joint.  Come get it - no charge."  I'm sitting here listening to a 1973 pressing of Dark Side of the Moon that came in while I was out................and I'm in heaven.  Started side one through my Klipsch speakers, now side two is my D7000's.  Heaven I tell ya.  THIS is how to come back from vacation. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #8,420 of 19,145
aha!
another klipsch owner in the vintage amp thread.
you can't hide from me.
which klipsch do you have?
im a bit of a fanatic.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #8,422 of 19,145
I'm torn! Yesterday, I found a pair of Khorns that look to be in great shape, respectable price (I think). And I got NO place
mad.gif
 to put them. My Sansui needs new playmates.

Gonna see if I can get lucky before summer's end and uncover maybe some JBL Studio monitors. Mind you, 
wink_face.gif
 the vintage one's worth having and discussing.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #8,423 of 19,145
Quote:
aha!
another klipsch owner in the vintage amp thread.
you can't hide from me.
which klipsch do you have?
im a bit of a fanatic.

KG 3.2's walnut finish.  My buddy gave them to me for free - sitting in his garage for the past 15 years and three moves................

I like them. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #8,424 of 19,145
I'm torn! Yesterday, I found a pair of Khorns that look to be in great shape, respectable price (I think). And I got NO place
mad.gif

to put them. My Sansui needs new playmates.

Gonna see if I can get lucky before summer's end and uncover maybe some JBL Studio monitors. Mind you, 
wink_face.gif

the vintage one's worth having and discussing.

If the price is right Just do it! You can always make room for speakers. :wink:

Reading of this account made it a great day as well... congrats!

Thanks a million Silent!

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #8,425 of 19,145
Quote:
KG 3.2's walnut finish.  My buddy gave them to me for free - sitting in his garage for the past 15 years and three moves................

I like them. 

Ahhh i love the Walnut finished klipsch.  Probably my favorite of their classic finishes.  I've not hear those kg's.  have heard the older kg 4. bet they sound fantastic with that SPEC.  My forte's used to love pioneer sx 950.
i just never could understand how someone could dislike the klipsch like the kgs and other heritage models.  Unless they are opposed to detail imaging and DYNAMICS.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #8,426 of 19,145
Sitting here listening to Norah Jones 192k/24bit through the Luxman on the Cornwalls and I got to say it's exactly what I wanted! Definitely warmer and more intimate than the realistic. Definitely they are in the same ballpark, but the Luxman just has something special about it with these horns.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #8,427 of 19,145
Ahhh i love the Walnut finished klipsch.  Probably my favorite of their classic finishes.  I've not hear those kg's.  have heard the older kg 4. bet they sound fantastic with that SPEC.  My forte's used to love pioneer sx 950.
i just never could understand how someone could dislike the klipsch like the kgs and other heritage models.  Unless they are opposed to detail imaging and DYNAMICS.

Yeah, I've read a lot of Klipsch negativity and can't understand it.

What do you listen to? And what have you had?

My other speakers, also given to me are a pair of early '70's Sansui S-1500 towers (pays to help your buddies out over and over - it does come back to you). Brighter than the Klipsch but I like them too. I sometimes run all four and air it out a bit.........that amp drives all four quite nicely.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #8,428 of 19,145
Quote:
haha great stuff! 

Man cave + SX1980 + Pink Floyd = Happy man!   
size]

Rod Serling voice: You've fallen into a vintage heaven, hidden in a man cave...is this a dream? is this reality?

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #8,429 of 19,145
Quote:
That nasty word isn't Oregonian, is it? No mo amps/receivers for me - 6 is enough for now.....and if you tell me you have dibs, I'll honor it!
biggrin.gif

no its not you! it's just usually this is what happens to me, If I want it, it will not be there when I can obtain it! just like AKG K180 headphones I have been dying to get for two years now. they've popped up on ebay out of the blue several of them and since I want them well......... so does everyone else it seems :/ I bid on one and I was the highest bidder of $11.50 but someone bid $100 on them at the last minute (I highly suspect it was a fake account by the seller who did a shill bid because they didn't buy them...) and thanks to awful Sprint I accidentally bid $102.50 because it would not go through four times on full 3G and got them almost had a heart attack... I quickly apologized to the fella and said I don't have that much money but he seemed very very odd. anyways I hope that 2238B will still be available and they take $100 for it! 

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #8,430 of 19,145
I have three original 1973 pressings of DSOTM one I got for free last week along with a mint 'The Wall' (I got six of those on LP now) and Meddle (3 of em, however all three of my Meddle's arent very good), one 2011 DSOTM vinyl (I don't like it) and a DSOTM MFSL Original Master Recording vinyl of it that sounds amazing. BUT someone on a certain site (if you know how to obtain it) uploaded a truly wonderful MFSL vinyl of it, it's just incredible! he also uploaded the Division Bell 24/192 there is absolutely no surface noise that I could here and it was so clear it's as if PF had released an audiophile version just for us audiophiles it was so INCREDIBLE. He used a $3,400 ADC for friggen sakes on The Division Bell LP! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back