Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 10, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #46 of 19,143

That is a beauty!
Quote:
thought i'll contribute with a snap of one of my prized receivers - a rare Sony STR-6800CD. outputs at a conservative 85w rms@8ohm & is built like a tank (prolly weighs 50lbs or so). it was 2nd TOTL in its heyday & is based on Sony's famed ES II series. i hear its a darling of the British audiophile community & its rarity adds to it i guess. O & pardon my lousy photographic skills

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #47 of 19,143
@ scottiebabie

yea that sansui there is a sexy beast. i know what you mean when you say you have to see them in person to see their true beauty. i like to polish and clean my amps once a month so they be running for other 40 plus years no sweat. just my sony camera sucks at capturing accurate colors and makes everything a warmer picture.

also once you get the 5000x you're going to be in for a surprise. not only is it very heavy and big but you be surprise how much torque it'll have and how lovely the sound is at the same time. i call it the beauty&beast. it sounds and looks absolutely beautiful  but give it some power hungry speakers and it'll show you how muscle under the hood it has. it'll be like owning  a 1969 Dodge Super charger of receivers. not sure how it compares directly to the 4000 but if you loved that,you'll defiantly love the 5000x.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #48 of 19,143
Great collection, scottiebabie! My newest purchase should be delivered today: sansui g301 receiver in pristine condition (or let's hope so!).

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #49 of 19,143
thxs REB, i think the old receivers look gorgeous too. if im not incorrect a G-301 is european equivalent to our G-3000. the 'Sui G series is one of the most highly rated Sansui receivers culminating in the G-9000 or the later G-9500 & G-9900 but i believe the G-9500 is the best of the trio. i hope to own 1 of em these days.

yaa RexAeterna my 'Sui 4000 looks puny but it is much more substantial than it looks so your 5000x must even be heavier. the X000 series & xx0 series are all tuned to have a "tube" sound whilst the later series are more cleaner & accurate. x17 & x19 are the muscle amps of Sansui. the innard of my AU-517 looks feels & weighs like its built to the standards of Krells & Levinsons. big dual trafos to separate psu boards to dual everything including dual big heatsinks! to build them like this now would cost multikilos.

try to get ya hands on one of em x17 or x19 series & see how much control they have over speaker drivers. i hear & feel it even thru the headphone out. my lil Yuin PK1 pounds out bass like theres no tomorrow! granted PK1s dont do loud or low bass but thru the 517, they sound like fullsize cans & not just fullcans but gooood fullcans! as i said before, caveat with 3yr old memory being what it is, the lil PK1s driven by the 517s feel almost as substantial & full range as an ex HD600! albeit with lower vol restrictions & only losing out in ultimate extension & details but mang, these PK1s sound sick! i dont remember nor have heard them like this ever never!

im now awaiting the arrival of a pair of hifiman HE5-LEs to put all these amps thru their pace & see which series & make is the ultimate! i have a feeling its btwn the cleaner but more muscular 517 and the sweeter smoother but softer 4000 or 350. it mite boil down to the type of music & perhaps synergy with particular cans.

this vintage stuff is totally fun & seriously addicting, i cant stop wanting to own more! LOL

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #50 of 19,143
LOVING the pics, guys!!!  Nice.  Keep them coming!  Vintage gear is so cool looking
L3000.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #51 of 19,143
@scottiebaby

i have to have luck finding a x17 or even x19 at a reasonabe price. they  go for major bucks locally and online.especially if the seller finds out how popular and sought after gear they are he'll diliberty jack it up to crazy prices(i see the au-717 selling as high as 500 bucks!).yea also the european versions were black faced instead of silver. i want to find a sansui g-771(euro version of the g-7700) myself. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #52 of 19,143

an au-717 in good state will easily set you back 800 euro or more. Vintage sansui amps are quite popular, I'm afraid...

Quote:
@scottiebaby

i have to have luck finding a x17 or even x19 at a reasonabe price. they  go for major bucks locally and online.especially if the seller finds out how popular and sought after gear they are he'll diliberty jack it up to crazy prices(i see the au-717 selling as high as 500 bucks!).yea also the european versions were black faced instead of silver. i want to find a sansui g-771(euro version of the g-7700) myself. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #54 of 19,143
Feb 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #55 of 19,143
My sansui g3000 (not g301! I was mistaken) arrived today. Well-packaged and in incredible condition. The potmeters felt like they were new and the whole thing looks like it came out the factory last week. The pic is not very good, but I'll try to make some more with daylight. I hooked it up to my computer audio set-up and it works beautifully. Absolutely hiss or hum free. The tuner is sensitive and works well. The sound is darkish, but I guess it is not a very good match with my wharfedale speaker, which are also a tad darkish. If I adjust the treble though the darkishness disappears. It sounds much better than it should and than I expected. I had somewhat high expectations, but this g3000 is just so powerful! I can't turn the volume knob past the 1 position without risking hearing damage. The sound is very pure, no wonder with all those old-fashioned rms watts behind it! The headphone out is also very good. Not as good as my headphone amps, but it comes very close. It's also darkish, but easily adjusted (seems somewhat more sensitive to adjustment than the speakers). It drives my powerhungry dt990s/600 ohm as if they're low impedance audio technica's! It also drives the k500 very well. The receiver has the signature warmish tube sound of sansui, loads of power and very good instrument separation. Just played some classical and it did that very well. I'm very happy with this new toy
biggrin.gif
!

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #57 of 19,143
CrazyRay, great setup.  You must not be married.  My wife would scream bloody murder at your setup.  She's close to that with the little equipment I have.

BTW, what's the rack that the Kenwoods and turntables are on?  What I currently have isn't working for me and I'm looking for something better.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #59 of 19,143
@CrazyRay

i'm loving your kenwoods and reel to reel player. wish i was able to find a good reel to reel player nearby but no luck. i also love kenwood. very under-rated brand and amps. the only time i remember kenwood got recognized was with their monsterous supreme series of receivers and even thoes go un-noticed compared to pioneer,marantz and sansui.

@REB 

that sansui looks in phenomal condition. who ever sold it packed it really really well. hope you enjoy it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back