Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #5,851 of 19,145
Thanks! I bought it on the 'Bay. Packing job was only barely adequate even after I sent a note to the seller asking him to pack very carefully, but it arrived pretty much unscathed.

I have wanted to listen to one of these G series Sansuis for a while. I'm not sure how long I will keep it, but I do think it sounds quite good. A little too much hiss with my Ultrasone Edition 8, and, oddly, the -20dB muting had no effect on the hiss, even though it attenuated the signal as designed. But no hiss with LCD-3.

Also sounding good driving HPM-60 speakers.

I will take some internals soon :wink:

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #5,853 of 19,145
That's strange, because the muting button on my Sansui 9090DB makes it hiss-free with any headphone. I wonder what in the topology changed.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #5,855 of 19,145
Indeed it is, especially because I'm actually VERY impressed how this thing sounds. Considering you can score G-7000's for $300, it's a damned fine sounding receiver.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #5,856 of 19,145
Quote:
Indeed it is, especially because I'm actually VERY impressed how this thing sounds. Considering you can score G-7000's for $300, it's a damned fine sounding receiver.

Yeah, take that $300 in to Best Buy and see what you can find. A piece of plastic weighting about 5 pounds. :)

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #5,857 of 19,145
Exactly!!!! That's all you could get. Nowhere close to the sons of this thing.

Thinking about it, I believe the hiss from the G-7000 must be from the power amp. The -20dB muting happens in the preamp section. So the hiss from the 9090dB is in the preamp section, and gets attenuated along with the signal when the muting button is engaged, but the muting button doesn't reduce hiss in the G-7000, leading me to conclude that the hiss is after the preamp stage (and thus in the power amp section).

Completely inaudible when using speakers though.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5,858 of 19,145
Great score Skylab!! That thing looks real beastly!
biggrin.gif
  And beautiful as well.

Like you and a few others, the mute button has the same effect(or should I say non-effect) on my au-11000. Of course I never hear any hiss with my he6, even from the speaker outs. But it does hiss with my w3000, which is a shame since sonically, they sound pretty good together. And of course it's unusable with my jh13's. But it don't bother me much since I use it mostly as a speaker amp, and occasionally with my he6.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #5,859 of 19,145
Quote:
Scored another Sherwood gem this week. Man these sound so sweet. I am glad no one likes them as much as the big names.

Love the headphone section so much power. Drives the snot out my HTF600's.

I had a Sherwood S-7100 for a while but the knobs were mis-matched and the bass control shaft was broken so I sold it to finance my current Denon DRA-600. Not as old as the Sherwood but a decent receiver anyway.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #5,861 of 19,145
So, I'm new to all this. Been browsing through ebay and some forums doing research, and this question came up: How much power is enough? Considering I'll probably only be using the headphone output(s), how much power would be adequate? I assume it'll be far less than if I was driving speakers. Or is there a separate value for the headphone output thats not wpc? Sorry if its a noob question, but hey, thats what I am x)
Thanks!

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #5,862 of 19,145
Quote:
So, I'm new to all this. Been browsing through ebay and some forums doing research, and this question came up: How much power is enough? Considering I'll probably only be using the headphone output(s), how much power would be adequate? I assume it'll be far less than if I was driving speakers. Or is there a separate value for the headphone output thats not wpc? Sorry if its a noob question, but hey, thats what I am x)
Thanks!

My Pioneer SA-6500 II is rated at 30 watts per channel, and the headphone jack is connected directly to the power amp (same as using the speaker outputs). I have yet to find any amp that sounds better with my HD580s (not exactly easy to drive, at 300 ohms, but easier than an HE-6 or K1000). What headphones are you planning to use?

Edit: I also use it to drive a pair of Polk Monitor 7's. Plenty of power. Companies were much more honest about their power ratings back in the 1970's and 80's.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #5,863 of 19,145
Quote:
Thanks!

Almost all of the 70's receivers have the headphones tapped from the speaker outputs but stepped down in power. Any unit 10 watts and up will be more than sufficient unless you have some insaneley inefficient headphones. I really like the Marantz 2220 units. I can't get past 9 O'Clock on the volume with my Panasonic HTF600 headphones.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5,864 of 19,145
My Pioneer SA-6500 II is rated at 30 watts per channel, and the headphone jack is connected directly to the power amp (same as using the speaker outputs). I have yet to find any amp that sounds better with my HD580s (not exactly easy to drive, at 300 ohms, but easier than an HE-6 or K1000).

Not exactly the same. There are resistors in there to step the power down. They also raise output impedance.

300 ohms is actually a very easy load to drive. It's low impedance loads that make an amp sweat.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5,865 of 19,145
Well, to be honest, I'm not planning on driving a specific set of cans. At the moment, all I have is JVC harx700's, which I'm sure anything will be able to drive. I was thinking more on terms of when I have a little more funding (which should be fairly soon) and I can actually afford to upgrade to some higher quality phones. So, any unit with 10 watts per channel for the power amp, will be enough even after the stepdown for the headphone output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back