Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 16, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #17,356 of 19,136
Thanks for the advice guys. Seller doesn't mention if it's recapped or serviced but the picture makes it out to be in pretty good condition on the exterior. Looks like I'll pass. Prefer something with VU meters :)

meters you say.. here is my Sony TA-N77ES... insane deal I got the whole Sony ES Stack for $75 true story (meter lights didn't work when I got it but I replaced them (twice..now they burnt out after a couple years again).. but meh.. 200WPC 60~lbs
tan77es_ns344_2.jpg

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #17,357 of 19,136
The main thing is to enjoy what ever vintage receiver or integrated amp you buy. For me, it must have that "look" and I dare say that each of us has a "look" we are, well...looking for!

Unless you are into suffering (think Judaism and Catholicism), do not buy some thing that needs more resurrection than a can of Lemon Pledge and an old t-shirt. You want to be satisfied not frustrated.

Have fun with the search and revel in the purchase. Feast your eyes upon the beauty and delight in the exquisite reproduction of music.

Well said. My search continues.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #17,358 of 19,136
Interesting that you...By the way, how's everybody doing? Hope everybody's enjoying their music with their vintage amps. (I am!) As I was saying, I found the mention of the beyerdynamic T90 interesting as this h/p seemed to exhibit a bit of "looseness" in the bass on my SONY STR-6055 (but I've got the "bass" control dialed-back on this amp now, so that keeps the bass from having that bit of distortion that I was hearing from time to time on different albums). Maybe this SONY was sending just a bit too much (voltage?) from the h/p socket for the efficient drivers in this headphone.

Question for anyone knowledgeable who wants to chime-in: Got someone lined-up to do some work on my Technics SA-500. (It won't be a full restore, just some maintenance. Looking to get the main caps replaced, along with the output transistors). The tech guy says some exact replacement parts are long since unavailable. I Want replacement parts that will NOT make this receiver sound "warm". I'd rather it tend more toward clinical and analytical, rather than sounding warmer. I don't care for a warmer sound signature, at all. My preference tends toward a sound sig that delivers clarity and detail. (If the sound is a bit "bright", then I can dial it back with the treble control). To me, this receiver sounds warm enough, as it is.

Any specific advice (as far as, "do this / don't do that") for anyone with direct experience is appreciated.

Glad to see this thread still active, by the way. (And nice to read some recent posts by some of the regulars, here!) Hope you guys are doing well. Wanted to drop-in and say hello to everybody. (And not miss the chance to get a bit of advice before the work starts on my Technics.)

Cheers, everyone!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #17,359 of 19,136
Hola folks,

So..... I just purchased a Sansui AU-101. I'm planning on using this to power my HE560 planars.
My question is. Is it safe to connect directly to the speaker taps? I've used other speaker amps for that purpose , but never any vintage amps, and want to make sure I'm all good.

Oh , and yes. Pics.
Screenshot_2017-10-19-22-43-54-1.png
Screenshot_2017-10-19-22-43-58-1.png

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #17,360 of 19,136
Hola folks,

So..... I just purchased a Sansui AU-101. I'm planning on using this to power my HE560 planars.
My question is. Is it safe to connect directly to the speaker taps? I've used other speaker amps for that purpose , but never any vintage amps, and want to make sure I'm all good.

Oh , and yes. Pics.

I wouldn't worry about that, I've speaker tapped a pair of LCD2s to a whole variety of different vintage amps from 65 to 150wpc with no issues. Just make sure your volume control is turned all of the way down. Also turn that "loudness" switch to the off position on the front of your receiver when you use headphones. The HE560 is obviously quite a bit more efficient than what I was using, but being a planar it should still eat all of that up.

One more thing that I will mention, I don't know for your specific receiver, but a lot of vintage gear has a higher power rating straight out of the headphone jack than anything does now days. The headphone jack on my Pioneer SX-850 drove LCD2s so well that it made me sell my liquid fire.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #17,362 of 19,136
+1
I was surprised how well the headphone out on a Pioneer sa-8100 could drive my he-560.
It really is the best kept secret around here. I actually just bought a silver face Marantz today off of craigslist for $20. The guy claimed that the left channel didn't work, turns out all it took was 15 minutes and an air compressor to return it to near mint condition. Was a great pick up as my Pioneer has a little bit too much juice for my Grados. The Marantz at 30wpc has a completely silent background. I'm seriously digging it.

I'm sure they don't measure as well as these several thousand dollar headphone amplifiers, but as far as musicality, power, and an overall pleasant experience goes, vintage receivers have outperformed every headphone amp that I've ever tried, including high end Cavalli, Schiit, and Woo products and at an extreme fraction of the cost.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #17,363 of 19,136
SX-1080_As_Headphone_Amp.jpg

I recently picked up a Pioneer SX-1080 from my local Craigslist and on a whim tried it with my modified and balanced Fostex T50RP and Sennheiser HD6XX headphones and I'm really impressed with the tone. I actually prefer the Fostex over the Senns. I liked it so much I was going to create a new post here on Head-Fi but found this monster thread instead. The old 1080 beats the crap out of my Schiit Muolnir and Grungnir pair. I also have a Sansui G-8000 receiver, Sansui BA-2000 power amp and Marantz 4400 quad receiver (all late '70s gear) that I plan to sample with direct headphone connection.
Sansui_G-8000_2.jpg

Marantz_4400.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #17,365 of 19,136

Oh , and yes. Pics.

Yup,youre good. Have been using my vintage gear taps to drive my newly departed HE-6,as well as my ZMF headphones.
Just watch the volume and enjoy.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #17,366 of 19,136
I recently picked up a Pioneer SX-1080 from my local Craigslist and on a whim tried it with my modified and balanced Fostex T50RP and Sennheiser HD6XX headphones and I'm really impressed with the tone. I actually prefer the Fostex over the Senns. I liked it so much I was going to create a new post here on Head-Fi but found this monster thread instead. The old 1080 beats the crap out of my Schiit Muolnir and Grungnir pair. I also have a Sansui G-8000 receiver, Sansui BA-2000 power amp and Marantz 4400 quad receiver (all late '70s gear) that I plan to sample with direct headphone connection.

Would certainly be interested to see what you have to say in comparing them. I'm still trying to figure out which brand suits my tastes for receivers. My serious interest right now is in a high end Sansui or a Fisher tube receiver. I've tried most of the more common brands at a mid ranged price.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #17,368 of 19,136
Question for anyone knowledgeable who wants to chime-in: Got someone lined-up to do some work on my Technics SA-500. (It won't be a full restore, just some maintenance. Looking to get the main caps replaced, along with the output transistors). The tech guy says some exact replacement parts are long since unavailable. I Want replacement parts that will NOT make this receiver sound "warm". I'd rather it tend more toward clinical and analytical, rather than sounding warmer. I don't care for a warmer sound signature, at all. My preference tends toward a sound sig that delivers clarity and detail. (If the sound is a bit "bright", then I can dial it back with the treble control). To me, this receiver sounds warm enough, as it is.

Any specific advice (as far as, "do this / don't do that") for anyone with direct experience is appreciated.

A couple of things I like to do during upgrades:

1.) Anywhere possible I replace electrolytic caps with film. It makes a huge difference in the sound if you can fit them in. Film will always take more space.
2.) Replace all other electrolytic caps with audio grade Nichicon as they always sound clean and detailed to me.

In addition, I tend to prefer the Pioneer sound over others because they seem much cleaner and more detailed than than similar offerings from Marantz. I have an SX-1250 which is really my goto amp.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #17,369 of 19,136
A couple of things ...
In addition, I tend to prefer the Pioneer sound over others because they seem much cleaner and more detailed than similar offerings from Marantz. I have an SX-1250 which is really my goto amp.

Glad to hear that you prefer the Pioneer. In my Pioneer vs Sansui comparison I keep coming to the conclusion that the Pioneer is better. I have had a lot going on so I have not completed the testing or written up my thoughts other than the short preview a few pages back. I am finding the Pioneer more detailed and clearer than the Sansui. The Sansui does have a great toe taping sound. It is only in direct comparison where the Pioneer "wins". Either in a solo session is just wonderful. But once I hear, I am stuck in my knowing.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #17,370 of 19,136
Hello folks,

Does anyone happen to know of a reputable service and repair center for these vintage amps? I live in Pittsburgh Pa , and was wondering if there's possibly anyone close to me. If not I'm willing to ship my amp to a trusted place.

I'm mainly looking to have it serviced and recapped.

Cheers,
Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back