Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 19, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #17,071 of 19,143

I have the HK 330A (near mint with wood case).   I recapped it and replaced the output transistors.  It sounds absolutely fantastic with my MDR-7506 and MDR-V6 HPs.  Way better than any Marantz I have heard.  Added bonus (nostalgia) is that it is what I had when I was 17 (never should have got rid of it).

HK 930 owner here, not quite a 330 but it's such an amazing clean-sounding receiver!

Still an unashamed fanboy of the Sony STR-6060FW though.
cool.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #17,072 of 19,143
  Unfortunately, it is true.  I can't speak authoritatively to the speakers since they are so varied sounding and there is so much personal preference at play, but having sold both AR and Advent back in their heyday, I can say I wasn't a fan - except for double Advents - that was special!

Pioneers, Kenwoods and their ilk from the late '80's up were designed to cram as many features as possible into a box at a specific price point.  Sound quality was secondary.  As a matter of fact, very soon after that most manufacturers switched to the awful Sanyo STK module amps, driving audio quality straight off a cliff.

Having looked over the schematics, the VSX-D1S is categorically not a revised SX-3900.  The VSX line is heavily IC based with massive use of CMOS switching, multiple DSPs and video circuitry, while the 3900 is clearly a more audio-conscientious design - right down to the discrete transistors in its phono preamp. The VSX is probably OK for what it is, but it is not the kind of quality that is normally found true vintage equipment.

So you are saying that the "non-switching" amp section found in the SX-3900, SX-D5000, SX-D7000,  SA-8800, & VSX-D1S are not good?
Please explain.....

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #17,073 of 19,143
Im certainly no electronics expert,but I have read very good things about the NAD 7600,which was built in 1987.

Id be tempted to pick one up,except its so damn ugly 
angry_face.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #17,074 of 19,143
i've been thinking about what i want to do speaker wise , i think i'll set a limit of $125, including shipping if needed,
both receivers i picked up for less than that, well the marantz's shipping pushed it over that limit, but i think i should be 
able to get something pretty decent for that , may be fun trying 

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #17,075 of 19,143
  i've been thinking about what i want to do speaker wise , i think i'll set a limit of $125, including shipping if needed,
both receivers i picked up for less than that, well the marantz's shipping pushed it over that limit, but i think i should be 

these come close or under your budget...warm,non fatiguing sound. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #17,076 of 19,143
Apr 19, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #17,077 of 19,143

HK 930 owner here, not quite a 330 but it's such an amazing clean-sounding receiver!

Mine sounds very clean also, albeit not as powerful as yours.  I find it sounds very good with lower impedance HPs (like the ~60 ohm MDR-7506).  Not as good with my 300 ohm HD600s (not bad at all though).

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #17,078 of 19,143

Mine sounds very clean also, albeit not as powerful as yours.  I find it sounds very good with lower impedance HPs (like the ~60 ohm MDR-7506).  Not as good with my 300 ohm HD600s (not bad at all though).

I have mine hooked up to a pair of KEF 104aBs in the living room and they sound so damn beautiful it's almost unbelieveable.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #17,079 of 19,143

I went with vintage speakers - first a pair of DX-3 Cerwin Vegas (refoamed woofers) and a nice pair of Klipsch 3.2's..............no, they are far from high end but I paid $40 for the CV's and traded a nice pair of Wharfedale bookshelf speakers for the Klipsch speakers.  Both speakers are being used regularly and sound fantastic from both systems - the Klipsch hooked to the Spec 1/2 system and the CV off the SA-9900 in the garage system.  Point is your budget should get you something quite good sounding.  Craigslist is your friend on these items since most guys won't want to ship speakers. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #17,080 of 19,143
  these come close or under your budget...warm,non fatiguing sound. 

ELAC has some good stuff around that price range too - also Andrew Jones designs.

for a new speaker, the pioneer is right at the top of the list 

as for elac, the b4 at $ while not expensive, and a possibility , is $179, and then that gets me thinking why not spend a few more dollars and go b5

i'm sure my "plan will change several times before it's all said a done

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #17,081 of 19,143
  I went with vintage speakers - first a pair of DX-3 Cerwin Vegas (refoamed woofers) and a nice pair of Klipsch 3.2's..............no, they are far from high end but I paid $40 for the CV's and traded a nice pair of Wharfedale bookshelf speakers for the Klipsch speakers.  Both speakers are being used regularly and sound fantastic from both systems - the Klipsch hooked to the Spec 1/2 system and the CV off the SA-9900 in the garage system.  Point is your budget should get you something quite good sounding.  Craigslist is your friend on these items since most guys won't want to ship speakers. 

oh i'm keeping my eyes peeled for sure, 
and i would like to get something vintage, or maybe close to vintage, and then maybe have something newish too, one can never have too much gear !  
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #17,083 of 19,143

Still an unashamed fanboy of the Sony STR-6060FW though.
cool.gif

I'm a HUGE fan of that model line! They're a PITA to come by, but worth it when you find them. The 6060, 6120, and 6200 are all end game units (with minor variations in voicing) that seek to match mcintosh voicing and build quality of the time they were built. They are 99.9% as good as the best amps I've ever listened to, and I use them as (very pleasant) hot swaps when my main rig is out for repairs.
I have modified mine slightly - one got a beefier power supply, the other was recapped, but nothing that changed their sonic character.
I highly recommend those three SONY models to anyone looking to short circuit the vintage trade up game and start with a reliable, infinitely repairable, near flawless, well built amp, that competes well above its $200-700 price tag.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #17,084 of 19,143
  I have mine hooked up to a pair of KEF 104aBs in the living room and they sound so damn beautiful it's almost unbelieveable.

Mine is strictly used as a head amp right now and resides on my night stand - listen to it every night at bed time.  I do remember my original one sounding quite good with audio analyst speakers back in the 70s though.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #17,085 of 19,143

for a new speaker, the pioneer is right at the top of the list 

as for elac, the b4 at $ while not expensive, and a possibility , is $179, and then that gets me thinking why not spend a few more dollars and go b5

i'm sure my "plan will change several times before it's all said a done

I have a pair of B5s used as the fronts in my 7.2 HT setup.  They sound very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back