Buying new headphones, please help?
Oct 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JohnLD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 439, they are very comfortable, and have nice sound, but I am looking to upgrade. I am looking for a pair of headphones with the following:

1.) Comfortable for long periods of time

2.) Good "thump" bass  
basshead.gif

3.) Between $100 and $250

4.) DURABLE

5.) Noise Isolating

6.) Very crisp, clear sound. Accurate soundstage

**QUESTION**

1.) Should I just buy the Fiio e11 pocket amp, and L9 LOD to upgrade my existing Sennheiser HD 439's, or look for a better pair of headphones?

2.) Are V-Moda Crossfade LP's "garbage"   (like Beats by dre... all looks, overpriced but not that good?)\

3.) Also, Are the ATH-M50's a good choice? I heard they are soft on the bass..

Thanks everyone.

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 14
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into (not talking about amp.)?

Guessing it's best to upgrade the headphones.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 14
I find the m50s to be a great headphone for around $130. They sound awesome with the e11. Don't know about the "soft bass," they certainly have good "thump" bass amped.
At least that's what I think. It's all subjective though

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
V-Moda M80 or Sennheiser hd 25 mk 2

Ath m50 aren't that good when it comes to isolation and the bass isnt thumpy.

Why are the V-Moda M80's more money than the Crossfade LP? They seem to be the same except the crossfade LP is over ear (what I prefer) Do you have any knowledge about this?

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Obviously, I'm not an extremely experianced headphone guy by the number of my posts, but to answer your question regarding the M80 vs. LP, there is much more of a difference than has been mentioned above. There are those differences but the sound sig is quite different, I own the M80s after allot of reading online reviews and I'd encourage you to do the same. The LPs got a bad rap for exaggerated and boomy bass that interferes with its recessed midrange and highs. The M80s have solid bass that extends fairly deep with good impact that doesn't interfere with its full bodied, forward mids. The highs are the contested part of the M80s in that they are "polite"( a nice way of saying they are recessed in relation to the rest) or they are not bright and sparky but, they are not sibilant at all at any volume my ears won't shrill, which I like. They have a warm overall sound with soundstage better than most closed portable cans. The M80s are also tiny compared to other on ear potables like Sennheiser hD25, Beyer T50 or 1350 and TMA1 by Aiaiai, all of which after much comparing I settled on the M80. I also compared these to Audio Technica M50 and MAudio Q40. The latter being my close second choice. I settled on the M80s for several reasons other than sound which of couse was most important but the style and unbeatable uild quality is a bonus as is the exo skeleton case. I liked the HD25 but didn't like the idea of them being too bright. The 1350 was too pricey and while undenialbly superior in detail, also lack bass impact I wanted.The M50 was a little big and just seemed out performed by newer albeit pricier M80s. The Q40's intrigued me with promices of pounding , deep bass but lacks in other areas and is supposedly congested sounding. Finally, the Aiaiai, while having equally great looks and build, was apparently about equal bass wise with the M80 but had weaker mids and highs-being described as very dark or, as I understood was the ying to Sennheiser's HD25's yang with the M80 in between. I was interested in the Ultrasones also but they weren't as postable and have a rep for harsh highs. The Denon's had the sound I wanted but, again, are over ear/large so I unltimately chose the V Moda M80 and am very pleased with sound being exactly as reviewed. Sorry for the rant and horrible writing but hope this helps.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Obviously, I'm not an extremely experianced headphone guy by the number of my posts, but to answer your question regarding the M80 vs. LP, there is much more of a difference than has been mentioned above. There are those differences but the sound sig is quite different, I own the M80s after allot of reading online reviews and I'd encourage you to do the same. The LPs got a bad rap for exaggerated and boomy bass that interferes with its recessed midrange and highs. The M80s have solid bass that extends fairly deep with good impact that doesn't interfere with its full bodied, forward mids. The highs are the contested part of the M80s in that they are "polite"( a nice way of saying they are recessed in relation to the rest) or they are not bright and sparky but, they are not sibilant at all at any volume my ears won't shrill, which I like. They have a warm overall sound with soundstage better than most closed portable cans. The M80s are also tiny compared to other on ear potables like Sennheiser hD25, Beyer T50 or 1350 and TMA1 by Aiaiai, all of which after much comparing I settled on the M80. I also compared these to Audio Technica M50 and MAudio Q40. The latter being my close second choice. I settled on the M80s for several reasons other than sound which of couse was most important but the style and unbeatable uild quality is a bonus as is the exo skeleton case. I liked the HD25 but didn't like the idea of them being too bright. The 1350 was too pricey and while undenialbly superior in detail, also lack bass impact I wanted.The M50 was a little big and just seemed out performed by newer albeit pricier M80s. The Q40's intrigued me with promices of pounding , deep bass but lacks in other areas and is supposedly congested sounding. Finally, the Aiaiai, while having equally great looks and build, was apparently about equal bass wise with the M80 but had weaker mids and highs-being described as very dark or, as I understood was the ying to Sennheiser's HD25's yang with the M80 in between. I was interested in the Ultrasones also but they weren't as postable and have a rep for harsh highs. The Denon's had the sound I wanted but, again, are over ear/large so I unltimately chose the V Moda M80 and am very pleased with sound being exactly as reviewed. Sorry for the rant and horrible writing but hope this helps.

No this helps a lot! I have never really liked on-ear headphones, but after this post, I feel like I should try it. Thanks a lot man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back