buying an ath a700- the bad the good and the ugly please....
Jan 3, 2012 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MotherShip

New Head-Fier
hello head-fi,

got tired of my hd201 and felt a need to upgrade my cans, i searched for a decent product for under 200$ and i stumbled on the ATH AD700.
iv'e been hearing that they have amazing soundstage for the price and that almost bought me but my heart belongs to alt-rock and bassy music so the lack of bass would be a major con for me.
after the disappointment i begun reading a700 reviews and i need someone to guide me here, because i reed all kinds of stuff:
they are way too bright, they're detail level is much lower than others cans at this price range, not balanced.
other sources stated quite the contrary- they are the best buy for the price, the sound is balanced and great for enjoying music, and not falling back from any other cans.

so are they a good buy for someone who's full size headphones experience limited to hd201?

any other suggestions for comfortable set without amp?

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 8
Heya,

$200 is a great budget. Don't even consider the AD700's (bassless, limited crippled headphones).

The AudioTechnica AD900 on the other hand is a good way to go for your budget. Also, look into the Sennheiser HD598. Also look into the Ultrasone PRO 2500. Also look into the Fischer Audio FA-002. Also look into the Goldring DR150.

Very best,

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 8

yeah thanks but im intersted in buying ath a700 not ad700 >_<

i got the impression that the a700 are not so different from a900, and the a900 will fit better for my needs than the ad900 wont they?
the ultrasones you offered are way out of what my pocket can handle, and the sens will cost me a100$ more than a700...
and i didnt find the Fischer Audio FA-002  

btw guess i should have mentioned before that i can only buy through ebay =0

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:

yeah thanks but im intersted in buying ath a700 not ad700 >_<

i got the impression that the a700 are not so different from a900, and the a900 will fit better for my needs than the ad900 wont they?
the ultrasones you offered are way out of what my pocket can handle, and the sens will cost me a100$ more than a700...
and i didnt find the Fischer Audio FA-002  

btw guess i should have mentioned before that i can only buy through ebay =0

Why is that? Paypal dollars?
Also, what country are you in?

Have you taken a look at the Ultrasone HFI-780's?

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 8
living in Israel doesn't leave me to much choice....
never heard of the HFI-780's, i just quick-googled them and i'm not very impressed, i like bass but this one seems as to much.
also, how the grado sr60I\ sr80I compete with ath a700\m50's? they are probably the only decent cans that sold at this price range in Israel....
i can get them for like 2\3 of the a700's cost but i'm concerned about the comfort.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 8
How about Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990?  There is a studio version that is significantly cheaper than the pro and premium models (at least in the US).  The studio version doesn't look as nice but the sound should be exactly the same as the pro version of the same impedance.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 8
Grados are much stronger in the midrange. They're great with rock, but they're not so great with more bassy music like rap or electronic music. They're also open headphones, meaning the area behind the driver is open to the air. This will give you a great soundstage, but everyone around you will hear the music you're listening to. Also, they don't really have isolation.
If you're okay with all of that, they're nice. They have a great soundstage and do great in the mids (where the guitar is).

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
How about Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990?  There is a studio version that is significantly cheaper than the pro and premium models (at least in the US).  The studio version doesn't look as nice but the sound should be exactly the same as the pro version of the same impedance.

Aren't the studio versions simply the same as the pro ones ? I haven't heard about them before. Anyway, the DT990 Pro is available for decent prices that are in the OP's budget range, but it may not necessarily meet the "no amp" requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back