Buying Advice: MacBook Pro + USB DAC+ DarkVoice 336C => HD 650
Jan 15, 2012 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BlackWaterPark

New Head-Fier
I need some expert advice, in getting a good home use (or portable) DAC; Something that would compliment DarkVoice 336 and HD 650. My setup is going to be MacBook Pro + USB DAC + DarkVoice 336C (not purchased yet).

I am looking to drive my HD 650 and Denon D2000. I must add that I do have Fiio E10 that works well with the Denon D200, however i am not sure if it would the best DAC for DarkVoice? 

If my wallet allowed i would go for the best of the best equipment available in the market, but unfortunately that's not the case - i have a tight budget around USD 200 +/-

Kind Regards,

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 14
Hmm. portable or desktop or both?
The MAveric Tube MAgic D1 is pretty popular and is desktop only @ $200
And then there's some ibasso's like the D2+BOA but i don't know how good that one is.
And then there's the new E17 :/
and the just as coveted Nuforce Icon HD

since u posted in the portable section im going to guess you need a portable DAC? That can also be used desktop?
Then the e17 :/ it's currently one of the most looked at amp/DAC's on head fi....don't know if it will complement something like the DV 336 though

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 14
I been reading and reading and reading through the forum, the more i read the more confused i get
confused.gif

The Maverick Tube Magic D1 does looks very appealing from a price point prospective, wonder how it pairs directly with HD 650 and with DV 336 - any idea on that ?

I was also looking at BITFROST + DV 336 (no idea how it pairs) or LYR+BITFROST - these are way out of my budget but since i haven't gotten the DV 336 at this point, i am guessing the best way fwd might be to save up and get one of these combinations.

So my options seem to be (not in any particular order of preference)
ph34r.gif
:

• Maverick Tube Magic D1
  • Pico Portable USB DAC/Amp
  • LYR+BITFROS
  • BITFROST + DV 336
  • Pico Upsampling USB DAC + DV 336
  • Yulong D100 + DV 336

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 14
So I see where you are going. You are lloooking at all in one's. but the one's that aren't all in one look more appealing since they it has a tube amp with it as well. Hmm, and then there's the synergy. with so many combo's it's impossible to know how well it will fair. I am more for a guy that would prefer to get a bigger Tube DAC and then a good amp and not an all in one if you had the cash. :/ 

Oh btw. im just adding some comentary, personal opinions and what not. This is above my range of people i help. i am just a bit curious and providing some input for discussion. Nt real recommendations and other stuff either. Also my post Bump's up your post so that's a plus as well :/

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I been reading and reading and reading through the forum, the more i read the more confused i get
confused.gif

The Maverick Tube Magic D1 does looks very appealing from a price point prospective, wonder how it pairs directly with HD 650 and with DV 336 - any idea on that ?

I was also looking at BITFROST + DV 336 (no idea how it pairs) or LYR+BITFROST - these are way out of my budget but since i haven't gotten the DV 336 at this point, i am guessing the best way fwd might be to save up and get one of these combinations.

So my options seem to be (not in any particular order of preference)
ph34r.gif
:

• Maverick Tube Magic D1
  • Pico Portable USB DAC/Amp
  • LYR+BITFROS
  • BITFROST + DV 336
  • Pico Upsampling USB DAC + DV 336
  • Yulong D100 + DV 336

wheres the E17 lol , its a usb+dac too , even though i read its not as good as the E11 in terms of amping

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
wheres the E17 lol , its a usb+dac too , even though i read its not as good as the E11 in terms of amping

well actually I was considering it initially;  but then I have E10 & E11 – I feel the need to go a step higher (without disrespecting FIIO or E17) try another company another make… so I left it out.

Clearly I am losing my mind over this and most possibly my sleep as well
rolleyes.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 14
Ok ! after more reading and in agreement with what my wallet (coming to my sense) have to say, I am pretty must zeroed in on Mx1 (unless someone who has them feels this is a bad setup to drive 650's)

I have changed my options and narrowed it down to:

• Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp + LYR
  • Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp + Schiit Valhalla
  • Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp + DV 336 / 337
  • Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp + LD MK III

The first two are bit outside my budget at this point, but if its the best combo i can have to do justice for my 650's then i am willing to wait and save up-to them; alternatively if LD MK III and DV are good options as well i can get to them bit earlier
gs1000.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 14
Any suggestions any one?

There are tons of pages but unfortunately no clear winners given the constraints (esp. monetary ones).

Glad, I could find some retailers here in Singapore who have them available in stock, I will be doing a test next week on the Schiit & DV
L3000.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 14
I'm new to the world of dacs and amps for audiophile purposes but to my ears the internal dac + amp of the MBP 13" isn't too bad, would the fiio e17 or ibasso D zero boa make a noticeable improvement using AKG K702's?

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 14
I'm new to the world of dacs and amps for audiophile purposes but to my ears the internal dac + amp of the MBP 13" isn't too bad, would the fiio e17 or ibasso D zero boa make a noticeable improvement using AKG K702's?

I have no direct experience with the E17 but have a D-Zero that I use with my MBPro and my Beyer DT1350s and Sennheiser HD700s. In both cases ther is a big improvement in the frequency extremes and with complex material. I agree that the stock MB setup is not bad but if you are listening to high bit-rate (320k) or lossless and want an excellent value upgrade, the D-Zero delivers.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the advice dude, i got an apogee one for the added ability to record as well but when i get the funds again i'm definitely going to look at the d-zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back