Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #241 of 537
The Vivid opamps are brighter in the upper frequencies than the classics. It is not a "bright" opamp, but is very detailed. This additional detail in the upper registers will probably cause you some fatigue with the HD700. A friend of mine owns the HD700. I have heard it a few times. The mid treble on that headphone is quite bright. I created an EQ set to use with that headphone. It improves it greatly. He finds that it sounds much more balanced, while still keeping the overall sound signature. Give this EQ a try on your HD700 and see what you think. This removes the recessed upper mids, and decreases the mid treble spike quite nicely. It makes the headphone sound much more balanced. Be aware as well that the reduction in the mid treble spike also ends up improving bass impact and extension a tad.

Pre-amplifying: -2

1.5 kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 2
3.15 kHz: + 2
4 kHz: + 1
6 kHz: - 1
6.5 kHz: - 1.5
7khz: - 1

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I'll definitely try the EQ. But the software came with the soundcard only allows to EQ 1khz, 2khz, 4khz, 8khz and 16khz. Can you suggest a good EQ software?

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #242 of 537
To EQ, you can use Equalizer APO with the PEACE add on.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

First, run and install the Equalizer APO. When you install, right click on it first, and run as "Administrator". After installing, run the "Configurator" file, and select the sound source you want to EQ, and reboot. After rebooting, you copy the Peter's Peace GUI file into the config folder for APO Equalizer in and run it from there. Right click on the PEACE file, and run as "Administrator". Go in and set up your EQ settings. If you select "Equalizer One Third Octave" on the lower left side of the PEACE window, this will give you a 31 band EQ, so you then won't have to manually add more bands. After you have selected your EQ adjustments you want, you click on the "Save" button to save your selection to the folder. You now just minimize Peter's Peace GUI. You now have an easy to use GUI for APO. You can add bands, remove bands, and change the band values quite easily.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #243 of 537
To EQ, you can use Equalizer APO with the PEACE add on.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

First, run and install the Equalizer APO. When you install, right click on it first, and run as "Administrator". After installing, run the "Configurator" file, and select the sound source you want to EQ, and reboot. After rebooting, you copy the Peter's Peace GUI file into the config folder for APO Equalizer in and run it from there. Right click on the PEACE file, and run as "Administrator". Go in and set up your EQ settings. If you select "Equalizer One Third Octave" on the lower left side of the PEACE window, this will give you a 31 band EQ, so you then won't have to manually add more bands. After you have selected your EQ adjustments you want, you click on the "Save" button to save your selection to the folder. You now just minimize Peter's Peace GUI. You now have an easy to use GUI for APO. You can add bands, remove bands, and change the band values quite easily.

Thank you for time and effort to explaining the process in detail. I tried the EQ and its helping to tame the harshness for sure. Just I need to make it a little more smooth. I think I can manage from here. Thanks again :)

Edit : A small token of appreciation for your help :)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #244 of 537
Unfortunately, I don't own the HD700. That was the EQ I gave my friend when I tested his out for a couple hours. He was complaining that the treble was causing pain. I noticed it right away when I heard it too, in the 6-7kHz region. Be aware that the HD700 has has an additional, but lesser spike at 9-10kHz. You could do this EQ instead, and that will make the headphone sound smoother.

Pre-Amplfying: - 2

1.5 kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 2
3.15 kHz: + 2
4 kHz: + 1
6 kHz: - 1
6.5 kHz: - 1.5
7kHz: - 1
9kHz: - 0.5
9.5kHz: - 1
10kHz: - 0.5

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #247 of 537
I think the best comparative can be made using them in the I/V stage of a DAC.
This is where the sound is formed and this will reveal most of their sound.

V6 Vivids - have extremely deep and strong bass and very good treble - lots of details. They sound a bit unreal, soft and transparent.
However there is something missing in the 300-600 Hz area from what I can tell. Voices ( especially female ones ) and classic instruments lack a bit of body and lower extension.
Very big soundstage.

V6 Classic - fantastic mids. Bass is not so good even if it improves after burn-in. Treble also has less details compared with the Vivids.
Seems to have a slight more presence in the 150-900Hz area. Upper bass also seems slightly muddy and instrument separation is not so good.
Quite small soundstage.

I've listened to them for more than 6 months now - I have them on a Burson Play, but I also put them for test on my old STX.
My preference so far ( they have more than 400h of burn-in so the sound is quite stable now ):

1. 2x V6 Classic in I/V and 1x V6 Vivid in LPF. This seems to be the most balanced combination
Slightly more bass and detalis than an all Classics - has a bit of "fun" in it and also a bit better soundstage. Still may need slight more bass and treble.
I recommend this combination for ESS DAC-s and with U or V shape headphones. Beyerdynamic can be a fit.

2. 2x V6 Vivids in I/V and 1x V6 Classic in LPF. Similar sound with an all Vivids, but a bit more presence in the mids area. not enough in my opinion.
This sounds a lot better on the STX, perhaps because this has a BB DAC - who provide a more laid-back sound.
Also mid-centric headphones can be the best choice for this.

3. 3x V6 Vivids. Sounds good - with he issues mentioned before. Also good for mid-range headphones.
4. 3x V6 Classics. I found this the most "boring" combination. Still good for V shaped headphones.

Changing the gain stage Op-Amps in the Play, Fun or Bang have none to very low impact on the sound. Here i believe the Vivids are the best as it seems to be a slight better soundstage with them.

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #248 of 537
I think the best comparative can be made using them in the I/V stage of a DAC.
This is where the sound is formed and this will reveal most of their sound.

[...]

Changing the gain stage Op-Amps in the Play, Fun or Bang have none to very low impact on the sound. Here i believe the Vivids are the best as it seems to be a slight better soundstage with them.

I totally agree with the above statements, in I/V is where the output sound gets its final shape to the listener, so finding the best-matching opamps for the I/V would probably be the first and best choice. I got similar experience with my ASUS Essence One MKii DAC in the past when rolling opamps in I/V stage, so it's not just something related to PLAY. Also, if an opamp works fine in some DAC then it doesn't means the same opamp will be the best match for all DAC's I/V stages, because different PCB layouts or different schematics and components will have enough influence to change parameters and the way it sounds (usually we should be just fine with what DAC manufacturer recommends for the I/V stage).

BTW, my ears find the V6 Classic as being more natural sounding.

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #249 of 537
Gol Darn! These orange towers have significantly changed my media consumption. I was 60\40 video (long live the Arroweverse!) but I'm now 75/25 music . Granted I've a huge, 6TB, of digital music and can play music at 80 db. I am still breathless when I hear the improvement 2 dual V6 Classics do to my LR and center\sub. I want to try a Vivid in the center\sub next.

We are living in the age of miracles, when it comes to tech and music reproduction.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #251 of 537
I have a Burson Play myself. I have both 5 Vivid V6 (3 dual 2 singles) and 5 Classics (3 dual 2 single.) I’ve done some tinkering with them although I personally prefer 5 the Vivids for their sound stage and transparency of details as they come across extremely clear. The Classics come across a lot warmer while having less sound stage and slightly less transparency in overall detail. I use a pair of HD700s on my Play unit and it’s an absolutely amazing combo I will be doing more tinkering with Vivid/Classic combos as I have more time on my hands and I’ll report back with the build I find best.

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #252 of 537
I decide it's time to start writing a review about Burson Audio's Supreme Sound Opamp V6 Vivids because otherwise it would never be finished.

First of all many thanks to Charles from Burson Audio for sending me the opamps.

I'm using them in my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, the V6 Vivid Duals replaced the default JRC 2114Ds and V6 Vivid Singles replaced the default TI LME49710NAs. For now i'm using a pair a of JBL 305p MKII, the sound card and the monitors are connected with a pair of Oyaide's Neo d+ Class B RCA->XLR cables. Power supply is a Seasonic M12II-520 EVO Bronze.

Using in Audio Creation Mode with Bit-Matched Playback enabled and foobar2000 with ASIO.

The opamps:

Fénykép-0043.jpg

Some perspective:

20181208_194607.jpg

20181208_194724.jpg

The soundcard before:

20181208_194019.jpg

And after:

20181208_195628.jpg

I only started using all of them in this card a week ago, so as i read and experienced with Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, they still require lots of usage before excellence, but i can say with absolute certainty:

These are very detailed, clean and transparent, sweet sounding opamps for now maybe a tiny bit on the bright side. They make big, airy, wide and tall sound.

Guitar strings are sparkling with joy. I really like male voices on these how they have some weigth behind them. Also I didn't find them bass shy at all, can deliever quite a punch, earlier got the chance to try a Prodipe Pro 8 V3 monitors, even though i didn't like the sound signture of them (the JBLs are too bright for my taste though), but the Vivid could deliver some nice textured low frequency sound, not just some loose / bloated bass but even the small 5" JBLs have some room filling low-ish extension as well, though not enough to feel it with my whole body.

I like how these opamps can fill the room with sound (with good-ish speakers of course). For example in games where in smaller indoor rooms everything sounds, well.. small and confined, and exterior place are really open and airy, sound differently when shooting a bullett in a canyon and get a cool reverb . Also with these sound transparent and well placed / positioned, it's easier to get a sense of from where the sounds are coming from. But these are applies to music too of course.

It's really a cool feeling to be able to differentiate different kind of instruments, vocals, effects placed and moving all around with clearity in for example Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space or in Pink Floyd - Welcome To The Machine songs.

So i really like these opamps, space luckly is not an issue for me, but maybe is for others or in smaller devices. I find them a bit pricey for my wallet, but those for who can afford them these are good upgrades from default opamps. Burning them in requires time but aside from that i can't find anything wrong with them.

2018.12.20: Just out of curiosity i installed again my X-Fi Prelude with the 1000+ hours used V6 VIVID, much punchier bass and pronounced mids with better body, overall more balanced and warmer sound signature compared to the newish Vivids, which sound thinner and brighter in comparison, can't wait for them to mature!

2019.12. In the end i put back the original opamps, not because they are better, but because somehow it is easier to listen to them, much less highs and a more balanced / fatter sound with more body somehow. Tried with other speakers too, a cheaper Creative 5.1 and an Edifier R1900 TII speaker, not the speakers fault, nor neccessary the opamps' , just in the X-Fi Titanium HD the 2 (per channel) VIVIDs in a row don't produce the sound i really like. In the X-Fi Prelude 7.1 where a dual V6 VIVID replaced 1 LM4562 there wasn't such a big sound signature change, just improvements, so not the VIVID opamps at fault, just the 4 VIVIDs are not the right match for the X-Fi Titanium HD card i think.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #253 of 537
Hi, can I ask how both Burson V6 Vivid and Classic sounds like when compared to OPA627AU and Muses02? Currently I would like to know its initial impressions before Im going to get a hand on it due to the high price and the Bursons itself is hard to get/unavailable in the place I live. Thanks

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #254 of 537
Hi there, there are several thoughts on this thread about these solid-state opamps, but seems generally accepted that SS V6 Classic is more neutral and non-fatiguing, and SS V6 Vivid has more life in it...sparky, with a bit larger scene.

I personally tend to like the Classic more because I had lot of bright cans at home, but if I think most headfiers like Vivid more, so...it's your call. :) Anyway, read a bit more pages from this thread before making up your mind for good.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #255 of 537
I don't have OPA627 but I have Muses 02.
I will never use Muses 02 in the I/V stage of a DAC - exagerated bass and almost inexistent treble ( may depend of implementation - probably on some DAC's might sound better.).
However these are some of the best when using in the LPF/Buffer,
If I had to compare with V6, the closest to Muses 02 would be the Classic - when using in LPF/Buffer. Closest, but big difference. The 01 are more closer to Classic, very neutral, but a bit cooler sound than Classic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back