Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Jul 26, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #214 of 553
gamax, you might want to review all the pages of this thread, as there are not so many after all.

Here's some thoughts of mine:
- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...ssion-and-reviews.854912/page-7#post-13711554
- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...ssion-and-reviews.854912/page-9#post-13830420

However, inside Objective2 headamp I do prefer SS V5 dual against SS V6 dual because the "thump" noise from power ON/OFF is lower with V5. The DC-voltage output is aobut the same with both op-amps: around 3mV.

Inside Matrix HPA-3B I prefer the SS V6 because these are able to operate better with voltages >=15V. So it's not always about "how it sounds?", it's also about how the op-amp itself is able to accommodate with the equipment itself. :)

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #215 of 553
Burson Audio is destined to succeed in the long run.

A while ago I said this:

Speaking of preferences, I have to say that the V5s are not ideal for my tastes. I miss some of that liquid warm presentation I used to get from the Muses to be honest. It has less coloration (I'm sure it pairs better with HD650 than HD600) and perhaps very slightly dryer stance. Coincidentally, the instrument/vocal placement is exactly the same to my previous op amp configuration (Muses8920+Muses8820(swap kit)+lme49720). Mid-distance is perfect for 50% of the recordings, some others are just "ok" with that while a great deal of them sounds just awful. Sadly, this is the case with SS V5 as well, the sense of compressed tone hasn't changed at all. The lack of fatigue helps to crank up the volume a bit but this does not solve the issue, it simply doesn't fill your ears.
Therefore, it would be great if Burson Audio decides to deliver such an alternative: A closer sounding V6!!

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/b...appreciation-impressions-thread.793431/page-6

How can you not appreciate this? Small things make huge of a difference. :beerchug:

What muse opmap?

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #216 of 553
What muse opmap?

It's been some time since, but I remember well. The Muses8820 had more warmth than the V5 and a bit more meat to the bones, but comparing them after the Burson op-amp got fully burnt in, Muses lost the battle quite easily. Still, the V5 won't produce the same type of warmth: They have this liquid-soft, brighter warmth to them while Muses produced a dryer, darker tone.

Be aware that I'm referring to the 8820 that was shipped with the swap kit and not the preinstalled 8820 of the buffer socket. The preinstalled chip on STX II sounded substantially different. It was very in-the-face, thick and had very small soundstage. I can't remember exactly, but one of the two had the code "E02" printed on it. If not mistaken, that should be the swap kit chip. :beerchug:

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #217 of 553
It's been some time since, but I remember well. The Muses8820 had more warmth than the V5 and a bit more meat to the bones, but comparing them after the Burson op-amp got fully burnt in, Muses lost the battle quite easily. Still, the V5 won't produce the same type of warmth: They have this liquid-soft, brighter warmth to them while Muses produced a dryer, darker tone.

Be aware that I'm referring to the 8820 that was shipped with the swap kit and not the preinstalled 8820 of the buffer socket. The preinstalled chip on STX II sounded substantially different. It was very in-the-face, thick and had very small soundstage. I can't remember exactly, but one of the two had the code "E02" printed on it. If not mistaken, that should be the swap kit chip. :beerchug:

I actually picked up a v6 vivid and hope it smoothens out the current opamp in my Matrix M-Stage HPA 2C. I find the top end just a little too harsh here and there but generally not a bad unit, lot's of power.

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #218 of 553
I actually picked up a v6 vivid and hope it smoothens out the current opamp in my Matrix M-Stage HPA 2C. I find the top end just a little too harsh here and there but generally not a bad unit, lot's of power.

The general consensus is that Burson op-amps take a lot of time to settle. It took me weeks of continuous break in because they were changing a lot during the process but the final result was really impressive and it worth it. In fact I burned 2 sets of 3 and the transformation process was identical.

Maybe you should have picked the Classics instead of Vivid if you find the highs a bit peaky. The first are supposed to be more rounded and juicy. I haven't heard either of them though.

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #219 of 553
The general consensus is that Burson op-amps take a lot of time to settle. It took me weeks of continuous break in because they were changing a lot during the process but the final result was really impressive and it worth it. In fact I burned 2 sets of 3 and the transformation process was identical.

Maybe you should have picked the Classics instead of Vivid if you find the highs a bit peaky. The first are supposed to be more rounded and juicy. I haven't heard either of them though.

Yea but I got a good deal on the vivid that I couldn't pass up, like less than what a v5i would go for.
Funnily enough I put a NE5532 in it as I had a few to spare and it sounded better than the opa2134, the highs were a little less harsh to my ears.

May trade my vivid for a classic if it's too bright.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #220 of 553
Just about managed to squeeze in the v6 in the M-stage HPA 2C after removing the cover, initial impression was the sound stage seemed much better, highs weren't harsh. Leaving it burn in for the day at home.

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #221 of 553
Decided to try the V6 Classic Dual in my DIY Whammy headphone amp build, They took a little while to settle in. I have a couple of hundred hours on them now all is good. Amps sounding very nice with my Senn hd800.

Probably get the V6 Vivid to try as well at some point.

IMG_7899.JPG

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #222 of 553
Decided to try the V6 Classic Dual in my DIY Whammy headphone amp build, They took a little while to settle in. I have a couple of hundred hours on them now all is good. Amps sounding very nice with my Senn hd800.

Probably get the V6 Vivid to try as well at some point.

I have a vivid, I think i'd prefer the classic. Actually if anyone wants it $50 posted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back