Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Aug 24, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #76 of 540
Burson V6 Vivid received and installed on my Asus Essence STX2
The sound using foobar and asus ASIO is simply perfect for my taste.
Highs are really precise, and bass sounds really deep. With stock opamps, sound was good, but not that smooth and clear on high.
Nice improvements :D
I'm using a Meze 99 Classic as headset
Glad it worked. The ideal computer platform for using a full-size Burson® V-Series would be an extended-ATX case and standard or micro ATX 'board with an ASUS® XONAR® ST™ in one of the outboardmost PCI slots, as this would give maximum room for the discrete components in their cooling tunnel. The V5i would probably be forced for most STX™ and STX II™ installations, as PCIe x1 and x16 slots are adjacent in late-model 'boards and a video card can be an unyielding obstacle.

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #79 of 540
5 days ago, I received them in a Jiffy bag (bubble wrapped envelope) from Lik Chan in Hong Kong.

Do they Always ship like this, or in a cardboard box from Burson Australia?

I have just installed one in my battery driven Lovely Cube headphone amp. and everything seem´s to work fine.

8273664.jpg

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #80 of 540
In the upcoming week´s, I will go on further and mod my AK4490 DAC, then my next two Lovely Cube´s with PRP9372, Mundorf´s, Polystyrene´s, Russian Teflon caps, Audyn True Copper and Dale 24 step volume attenuator.

As I have some issue with my AKG K702 (absolutely not bass in them), I did my first hour listening to the portable amp with my HD800 at low volume, so the only thing I can tell at the moment is that the sound are fine from the V6. Will be back later wih my impressions.

Just shame the summer will going to end soon!

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #81 of 540
I ordered today "Burson Vivid V6".
I wanted to ask those who have already tried some of these differences between V6 Vivid or V6 Classic.
If the soundstage is further back or more on your face, bass, details, treble.

Someone tried to put together Burson and Sparkos ?? Would be a good combination ??

Thank you for your answers

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #82 of 540
Review of the V6s

Hi,

You may have seen me in my last review, of the V5i op-amp. And if you saw it then you know that it was terrific and a mind-blowing experience for me, by just changing one part, with the dimensions 2x2x2 cm, the whole experience itself can change. I thank Burson Audio for sending me their new V6 Classic to review, it's a pleasure working with you. I hope this review will give you some insights on if you're going to purchase it or not.

Packaging

v8aBQMQ
bpSae84.jpg

They arrived in this bubble plastic padded envelope which looked safe, also recognized from before. Not much more to say.

sluHKp7.jpg

yrVUCxn

Also, just like before, they arrived in small cases with hard and protective foam, which I really like. But they've seemed to improve the casing, don't know why though as there was nothing wrong with the last one, oh well.
They felt really good, though the metal casing on the V5is was better IMO. Firstly, op-amps become hot and in just a short period of time as well. I don't think plastic will keep up as the metal casing would, even though the plastic seems of great quality. Second, even though I honestly don't know too much of op-amps and correct me if I'm wrong please, but wouldn't interfering be an issue? If so then the metal will do a much better job than plastic would, anyone who knows about technology (no matter type) would give you the same answer as I just did.

Price

Now when I've tried them myself, they would be an easy buy, to be honest, 130$ isn't a lot for what you're getting. (130$ for two duals that are needed for the STX II, a third one for the buffer as well, but I think that's optional), even though if that money could've been better spent on new headphones, or honestly even speakers. But I would easily opt for this upgrade if I had a job (currently studying). Especially if you have an STX.

Equipment

I do not own a studio or any fancy equipment like you fancy Head-Fiers own but I do have a lovely Asus Xonar Essence STX II (equipped with the V5i) paired with the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Black Edition (250 ohms).
I do use an EQ as well, not an extreme one though.
(did you notice? :) )

Also, here's a picture when the V6 is installed next to the V5i. Just a little comparison.
tfGuXjf.jpg

Sound & Comparison

I am going to quote my last review I made on the V5is because I want to continue on that, it'll be easier for the both of us.

"I've read that op-amps didn't make a huge difference and I agreed when I switched from the MUSES 8820 to the LME47920 and then to the MUSES 8920. I did like the 8820 (even though the 8920 were installed then...) the most out of them but the differences were minor. Even between the 8920 and 8820, the difference was negligible. Note I am going to compare the V5i's with the 8920.
But then I installed the V5is and holy mother of cow, the sound actually did change drastically! Do note that the sound won't change to a completely different headphone. More like give the one you already own more life, happiness.
If we start from the bottom. The low end (bass) just got more hard hitting now. How do I put this into words... It sounds a bit quieter compared to before (which I like IMO), but now I actually feel the bass and quite a lot actually. It also has more punchiness and upper bass. As we get to the mids, they sound airier more natural now. Like all of the singers bought a new microphone and made their voices clearer, crispier. Everything just got more lively, like flowers started to bloom.
And then the highs (treble). There wasn't as a big difference here as it was with the lower tones but all just sound clearer, crispier. Not harsher, just clearer. The sound stage has the same depth as the 8920 but the V5i has a wider sound stage, and when I'm gaming I feel like it sounds more accurate as well. The LME47920 wins here when it comes to depth though as it's amazing at that. Otherwise, it sounds so dead."

In a simple world, I could just tell you that they've improved the V6 from the last gens V5 & V5i. But that would satisfy no one, so here I go from the top (comparing the V5i and my current V6 Classic):
Detail & Highs
in short, the DT990 has a V-shaped sound (my preference), so as I said about the V5is, the V6 gives birth to even more hidden beauty that the DT990 never even showed me before. If there was a big difference between the 8920 and the V5i, then oh boy will you be in for a treat when or if you try out the V6 (Classic)! The treble became harsher, yes. But not in a negative way if you ask me. But that's partly because of all of the detail it brought with it! I listen to mainstream crappy music and in 80% of the songs I listened to, there was always something new to hear, for real. That big of a deal. The V5i sounds kinda dull compared to these. That's the biggest thing I want to keep praising with these, the GODDAMN AMOUNT of detail that THESE OP-AMPS gave my headphones! It's just simply, amazing.
Mid-range
Next, we have the mid-range, and frankly, there's not a lot to note here, other than that every song just sounds "more" the way the artist intended them to sound like, natural. I like it. You could say that the op-amps sound itself is kinda V-shaped. But don't take my word for it, I can only try these with my DT990's.
Bass
I would say there's even more punch here than before and especially improved here is the mid to high bass (70-200 Hz). It's obvious that most headphones will have a hard time producing these frequencies (because of the small drivers), but now I actually feel and hear a lot more of the mentioned frequencies. It's actually really cool.
The bass is also slightly more controlled and just sounds better as well.
Sound stage
I don't know what's the most terrific. The amount of detail or the huuuge sound stage. I told you that the LME47blablabla (mentioned above) only had its sound stage going for it, right? Now I would never even think of them, because the V6 just sweeps the floor with it, in all the areas. In a lot of the songs I'm listening to now, I can precisely hear them, where she is singing (by that I mean that if I close my eyes, I could easily be fooled that she's singing in front of me. While at the same time I'll hear some drums at my right and piano and my left and just oh my it all feels so satisfying. Also when the sound is shifting from the left to the right channel it sounds extremely smooth. It's difficult to explain sophisticated stuff like this.. anyways, in gaming. Yeah, that's a whole other story. Sorry guys, have yet to try any FPS but in every nerd game I've tried, it just still sounds so amazing. I got especially impressed when playing racing games (Rocket League (latest update, engine sound), Need for Speed).
It just sounds so real, really hard to believe what an op-amp can really do.

DxqxJcR

Conclusion

As you may have noticed already, I clearly recommend the V6 Classical op-amps. They're in another league, I don't think for a moment that any other company could produce an op-amp that can beat Burson Audio, other than Burson Audio themselves. The only negative I can think of is the size of these things, which makes it a bit hard to put back the EMF shield, but that's ok. Haven't noticed any interference yet, what so ever. Pictures below.
I hope this review was helpful, and if there's anything missing or if you have any questions, please send a PM and I will do my best to help you.

Again, thank you Burson Audio for giving me this opportunity to work with you, it's always a pleasure and I hope you keep striving after making products better than the last ones! Thanks for reading my review and have a good day.

kvZNdDl

Pictures:
This is a funny one, demonstrating my issue :) .
cTKIsaW

DxqxJcR

HTbeUCr.jpg

5b1f2d16-8a0f-43e1-925e-6750f064b9a6
cgB9Khl.jpg

aTr6Bls

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #83 of 540
I've been dying to see what people here say about the Vivid vs the Classic... especially WRT the Gustard H10... I don't even wait for alerts, I just keep checking this place, again and again....

Disclaimer: I trust that everybody's doing the best they can with what they've got... I just needed to say this to folks who will understand, that's all.... :wink:

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #84 of 540
I have the V6 Classic in my H10. Made me go wow! vs the stock opamps. Will post more in a few hours.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #85 of 540
I am testing the V5I Dual on my Zishan Mini DAC and Little Bear B1+ (Single Tube). Both are China made.
For the Zishan Mini, i was using the ceramic version of AD827.

Owing to the thickness of the socket and corresponding spacing in between 2 circuit boards via the pins connector on the circuit board, V5i installed couldn't be used even though it fit into the socket perfectly.
I had to leave the the AD827 in it.

And in turn, insert this Burson V5i into my Little Bear B1+ single tube portable amplifier, which i already used a LME49720HA from its original bundled NE5532P, see below.

First Impression, V5i Dual was already producing a clear sound quality with my Zishan, AK on my UE900s, and KZ ZS5.
Right now V5i Dual is burning in with this Little Bear B1+, I will update later on.
I will test with my AK Junior and Onkyo DPX1 on my Shure 535 and AK Layla 1.

Anticipating more detail from these combinations.

I am very new to head-fi and started to use an OPA amplifier with my DAPs which the DAPs i have (Zishan's mini, AK Junior & Onkyo DPX1 i think they don't have the power to boost what my friends said the detail.

After burning in the V5i Dual for more than 2 weeks, about 3 hours per day, talking about 40- 50 hours approximately, i am testing it with below:
DAP: AK Junior, Line Out Mode
Song: Depeche Mode's Behind the wheel
Earphone: Shure SE535
IEM Cable: 4 strands 7N OCC Copper and Silver Wire- 3.5mm
Little Bear B1 Plus- Single Tube amplifier with Burson V5i Dual again National Semi's LME49720HA

This is s a song with a lot of electronic instrument switching in & out, some audience vocal background and the voice of the singer.

1. Musical Instrument quality- V5i Dual has given more output, more layers of type of instrument, and the extended effect from the instrument, say the changing from one electronic instrument to another, more analytical
2. Audience Vocal Background- Audience vocal detail is detailed and rich in content. Wider and deeper overall
3. Vocal Voice of Singer- more energetic, pumping and substaining

I will keep the V5i Dual on my Little Bear to replace my LME49720HA and happy using it.
Wish my personal opinion had no offense to anyone here.

I will test against Burr Brown's OPA2107BM later on as i don't have it on hand at this moment as many of friends said 2107 is something i have to try and no new device is produced nowaday.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #86 of 540
Nice review, choisan!

I don´t know for the V5i, but for the V6 it´s already assembled on a DIP-socket that one should be aware of. It will made future OpAmp rolling (replacing) easier but it made it more sensitive for bad connedtion, especially if using several sockets in a row - direct soldering are always to prefer in a Hi-Fi perspective. Also note the hight of the OpAmp will be a bit less without the extra socket.

Remember to keep the pin´s clean and not touch it with the finger to avoid future bad Connection. If the pin´s has been dirty, it should be cleaned with some alcohol, preferrable isopropanol.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #87 of 540
Thanks for the advice. I tried to touch the pin with my bare hand.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #88 of 540
As it´s pure gold plating at the pin, this should minimize the risk of oxidation and if you had not some smudge, butter, salt, sirap or similar at your finger or was sweaty it will be no big deal. But the best is to keep them as clean as possible.

Maybe using DeOxit Gold or Cardas Contact Conditioner will be nice to maximise the connection for the pin´s!? But if using such, be careful not to spill as it will be a risk of short circuiting.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #89 of 540
I’ve been using Burson discrete opamps for the past few years – commencing with V4, then V5 and most recently V6 vivid. So I am pleased to share my experience.

The dual Burson opamp is used in the analogue section (Legato I/V line stage) of the Buffalo Two DAC designed by Twisted Pear Audio. The location of the opamp requires an extension to the DIP8 socket - easily put together.

And so, to the sound quality…

When I first built the Legato I rolled a number of standard opamps - but none stood out. In fact they all sounded pretty terrible, being bright, flat or uninvolving. Then came the discrete Burson V4. This was a huge improvement over other opamps, providing the level of naturalness, detail, dimension and involvement I was looking for. And I happily lived with the V4 for several years, until the Supreme Sound V5 was introduced.

The V5 didn’t disappoint. First up, the sound was cleaner, more spacious and more sophisticated. By comparison, the V4 sounded a little coloured and slow. In fact I was so happy with the sound of the V5, that I couldn’t envisage further improvement. I was wrong.

Sound quality with the V6 Vivid has gone up another notch. Better separation, and even more detail - in a big, uncluttered sound stage. I understand why Burson call this version “Vivid”. It’s clean and transparent – but without being sterile. In fact it’s remarkably musical and natural.

Like most components, the V6 requires around 50 hours to show its best. And once run-in, it continues to impress. Highly recommended!

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #90 of 540
Just Received my V6 Vivids...Will post impressions soon!

I have had the V6 Vivids for almost two weeks now and I am definitely pleased with the clarity, excellent tonal balance, that holographic quality which i think is the result of the incredibly detailed yet natural sound. These in the Essence STX II, with the focal elears is a pretty nice sounding setup. The bass is very liquid and detailed but there is a slight drop off in the sub bass which is what the classics could probably remedy. The highs with the vivids are really detailed and extended without being uncomfortably pronounced. It is all about synergy, and with the somewhat warm elears the vivids strike an amazing balance of musicality and technical prowess. Every song is rendered beautifully with every element within its own space, in a not so large but clearly defined soundstage.

It is really the very natural rendition of music that really set these opamps apart from the V5is i had before, and those were better sounding than the overly warm stock muses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back