Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Aug 15, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #47 of 537
Yes, please describe your impressions, and what you compare with that you had earlier.

My shipment from Burson has been sent, less than two weeks since I order.

Did you get any Noise shielding included? Or do Burson want extra payment for that?
shopping-strips-v3b.jpg

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #48 of 537
To this day I do not know if I buy "Sparkos Labs SS3602" or "Burson V5 / V6" Op Amp.
Please someone who has tested the two brands who can tell me which one to buy to improve my op amp stock.
I want an original and faithful sound, I do not want an artificial or metallic sound.

In return I will tell you to those who are looking to listen to the highest quality music on speakers I am using: Asus STX II 7.1 + Creative T6300 + Unixonar Driver + Foobar2000. I listen to songs to mp3 320kbps / Flac in 5.1 thanks to channel mixer DSP of Foobar2000.
It is an excellent combination :beyersmile:

Unfortunately many of us haven't tried both. I know the Burson sound signature is very warm and easy to listen to without losing detail. Sounds like it can be a very good fit.
If your stock op amp is an IC then it is almost 100% going to be a major upgrade going with the discrete op amps.

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #54 of 537
To this day I do not know if I buy "Sparkos Labs SS3602" or "Burson V5 / V6" Op Amp.
Please someone who has tested the two brands who can tell me which one to buy to improve my op amp stock.
I want an original and faithful sound, I do not want an artificial or metallic sound.

In return I will tell you to those who are looking to listen to the highest quality music on speakers I am using: Asus STX II 7.1 + Creative T6300 + Unixonar Driver + Foobar2000. I listen to songs to mp3 320kbps / Flac in 5.1 thanks to channel mixer DSP of Foobar2000.
It is an excellent combination :beyersmile:

I'm using sparko's in my teac ud-501, you'll find a review compared to the v5 here somewhere. The sparko's are very nice - good bass, nice treble, good dynamics and detail, good soundstage - it's a good balance between musical and analytical. However, when the v5 was working it performs at another level - deeper bass, smooth treble, crazy dynamic indicative of low, low noise floor, massive soundstage, timbre of some tracks definitely more detailed. Soundstage is slightly recessed though, sparko's more forward. However, there were overheating problems and the v5 didn't last. I suppose not many people know this but Burson tried to modify the v5 circuit to fix the overheating, which worked. Unfortunately, the sound quality was worsened and significantly worse than sparko's. The modified v5's have a black filling visible when looking up at the pins, whereas the original had a yellow resin.

I would think the v6 attempts to improve upon the modified v5, and i'm tempted to try but don't know which version to pick. If the v6 are anything like the original v5, that would be a godsend.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #56 of 537
I'm using sparko's in my teac ud-501, you'll find a review compared to the v5 here somewhere. The sparko's are very nice - good bass, nice treble, good dynamics and detail, good soundstage - it's a good balance between musical and analytical. However, when the v5 was working it performs at another level - deeper bass, smooth treble, crazy dynamic indicative of low, low noise floor, massive soundstage, timbre of some tracks definitely more detailed. Soundstage is slightly recessed though, sparko's more forward. However, there were overheating problems and the v5 didn't last. I suppose not many people know this but Burson tried to modify the v5 circuit to fix the overheating, which worked. Unfortunately, the sound quality was worsened and significantly worse than sparko's. The modified v5's have a black filling visible when looking up at the pins, whereas the original had a yellow resin.

I would think the v6 attempts to improve upon the modified v5, and i'm tempted to try but don't know which version to pick. If the v6 are anything like the original v5, that would be a godsend.

Thank you very much for responding, it has been very helpful because I was about to buy the Burson V5, now I will not, haha. Too bad, because it had gone down in price.

The question now is what difference is there between the "V6 Classic and vivid"
If you buy it or if someone here proves it I would like to comment on it.

While I'm thinking of going with Sparkos, it's also very expensive.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #58 of 537
The only purpose I can see for the red/orange plastic cover (except it look´s nice), is to protect from any outer component to risk short circuite.

So why not drill some hole´s in it or completely remove it for better cooling of the V6?

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #60 of 537
Thank you very much for responding, it has been very helpful because I was about to buy the Burson V5, now I will not, haha. Too bad, because it had gone down in price.

The question now is what difference is there between the "V6 Classic and vivid"
If you buy it or if someone here proves it I would like to comment on it.

While I'm thinking of going with Sparkos, it's also very expensive.

And don't forget that what counts is the end result at the end of the reproduction chain based on your personal taste.
Maybe in some systems Sparko works better than Burson, while in other systems it is the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back