Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
May 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,756 of 1,995

I too feel like the LCD3's are a bit hard for the Conductor to drive.

I haven't had any issues at all with the Conductor driving my LCD-3F's. On "M" I only have the volume half way up (around 12 to 1 o'clock position). The 4 watts seem to be more than enough! 

May 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,757 of 1,995
http://www.head-fi.org/t/627954/burson-conductor-dac-amp-successor-to-the-ha-160d/1740#post_10545122

like i stated in my previous post, even with the 300ohm hd800, it's something that becomes obvious only when comparing with cans like th-900 and lcd-x, or the hd800 on a violectric amp

and it's not a straight forward feeling of lack of power, but rather a feeling of too much neutrality, the kind of boring neutrality, which kind of magically transforms in perfect match fun neutrality when paired with the th-900 and lcd-x

May 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,758 of 1,995
  I haven't had any issues at all with the Conductor driving my LCD-3F's. On "M" I only have the volume half way up (around 12 to 1 o'clock position). The 4 watts seem to be more than enough! 

It's not the power issue. I prefer the sound of "M" and "L". To me the "H" is lacking in detail and while detail is better with "M" I prefer the ( I assume) even lower noise floor of "L". Still no problem with driving the headphone but I guess I just wish for more power in "L".

May 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,760 of 1,995
Sorry for the off topic guys, but if you have Sennheiser with your burson this may interest you: https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio/posts/634823169944837

Easy $300 imo

May 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #1,761 of 1,995
  well than you may really like the violectric v200 and v800 presentation since it's very much L

on another note:

do the khozmo users feel it's decently smooth to turn and that it sits precisely at every step?

Yes Khozmo 48 step attenuator has a very smooth operation compared to stock but you still ear poping  when turning but a lot less then the stock attenuator i have a 24 step attenuator on my Woo Audio 2 and its totally silent but the steps arent as crisp as 48 step  Khozmo .

May 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,762 of 1,995
  Yes Khozmo 48 step attenuator has a very smooth operation compared to stock but you still ear poping  when turning but a lot less then the stock attenuator i have a 24 step attenuator on my Woo Audio 2 and its totally silent but the steps arent as crisp as 48 step  Khozmo .

I really don't know why your does that. Mine does not pop, it's totally silent and I have had it since Jan 2013. I do believe yours is a different version but it shouldn't do that. Did Parts Connexion install it? If so I would call them.

May 15, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,763 of 1,995

I really don't know why your does that. Mine does not pop, it's totally silent and I have had it since Jan 2013. I do believe yours is a different version but it shouldn't do that. Did Parts Connexion install it? If so I would call them.

Yes Parts Connexion installed it ,and heres the email he sent me .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
It depends on your system…if there is a small amount of DC offset in the playback change, then the switch action will cause a little bit of popping…..at our end here, we heard none…but again, we don’t have your system.

Sincerely,

Chris Johnson - President,
1504377 Ontario Limited o/a
PARTS CONNEXION

May 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #1,764 of 1,995
He's saying it's not the Khozmo. It's coming from your source. Have you tried a different source?  I found this link and I hope it may help.  http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=amp&m=115261. 

Quote,
             "If DC is present at the output of the source component, the K-5xe (in your case the dac/preamp) will pass it on to the amplifier. However, changing the volume control will change the level of DC that is sent to the amplifier. This will be heard as a small "tick" or "pop" through the speaker. Have you ever noticed any ticking or popping sound from the speakers when changing the volume? "  There's more at the link.

Ruby.

May 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,765 of 1,995
  He's saying it's not the Khozmo. It's coming from your source. Have you tried a different source?  I found this link and I hope it may help.  http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=amp&m=115261. 

Quote,
             "If DC is present at the output of the source component, the K-5xe (in your case the dac/preamp) will pass it on to the amplifier. However, changing the volume control will change the level of DC that is sent to the amplifier. This will be heard as a small "tick" or "pop" through the speaker. Have you ever noticed any ticking or popping sound from the speakers when changing the volume? "  There's more at the link.

Ruby.

If that's the case then why does treating the contacts in the attenuator with Caig Pro Gold or WD40 stop or lower the ticks/pops?

May 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,767 of 1,995

If that's the case then why does treating the contacts in the attenuator with Caig Pro Gold or WD40 stop or lower the ticks/pops?

Thats what Burson told me to do but the pops always came back sooner than later with headphones .

May 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,768 of 1,995

Quote,

Ruby.

i am using my player  on  PC and thats with HP's didnt check with speakers in that case i would be using my Pioneer SX750 which is a DC coupled amp i think with Burson as preamp.and like i said Woo attenuator totally silent. Thanks for the link.

May 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,769 of 1,995
  i am using my player  on  PC and thats with HP's didnt check with speakers in that case i would be using my Pioneer SX750 which is a DC coupled amp i think with Burson as preamp.and like i said Woo attenuator totally silent. Thanks for the link.

Have you tried an external cd player, or any other different source besides you PC? I believe that's what Chris is blaming for your problem.
Maybe check it out sometime.

May 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,770 of 1,995
  Thats what Burson told me to do but the pops always came back sooner than later with headphones .

If they go away when treated, even temporarily, then that negates this, "DC is present at the output of the source component", as the cause.  It would indicate some form of electrical arcing is occurring due to carbon buildup on the contacts themselves.  The treatment is removing the carbon buildup.  It's still a PITA regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back